Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → "Generic Hosts Processes" Shuts Down in Windows
"Generic Hosts Processes" Shuts Down in Windows
2006-12-20, 3:00 PM #1
Lately I've been playing a game or something, or even just sitting around and, bam, a window pops up that says "Generic Host Processes has been forced to shut down" blah blah, etc. I uninstalled my chipset drivers, reinstalled my soundcard drivers, and can NOT find out what's the problem. This effectively shuts off all my extra functions on my USB keyboard (vol up, vol down, mute) and has forced me to map a lot of extra **** to my mouse. It's extremely ****ing annoying. I know it's not a virus because I scanned as soon as I got that message (with housecall. **** AVG, Norton, and McAfee, and I'm not paying for PC-Cillin at the moment, too tight on cash) and nothing popped up.

Does anyone know what might cause this? Reinstalling windows would be a real pain and I'd rather not have to do it.
D E A T H
2006-12-20, 4:28 PM #2
It sounds like some service is misbehaving and taking down the program that hosts them.

run 'eventvwr.msc' and post the latest few 'System' log entries please.

Edit: Or, if you have a place to host them, post the .evt file
2006-12-20, 4:43 PM #3
Here's the list of all the errors.

http://download.yousendit.com/6011685E052AE848
D E A T H
2006-12-20, 4:59 PM #4
Isn't AVG free?

(I don't really have anything to contribute, I was just wondering)
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-12-20, 5:25 PM #5
Yes, it's free.
D E A T H
2006-12-20, 5:38 PM #6
October 25, 27, and December 14 something takes down all of your services. That includes the audio service (which, I would imagine, polls for ACPI multimedia hotkeys).

Do you have a Xen? It looks like some Creative drivers or programs are starting up a lot of services around the same time your system gets nuked.
2006-12-20, 5:43 PM #7
I checked the EVT, all it shows is a LARGE number of "service terminated unexpectedly" errors at the time of what I assume is the process crash. They all happen in the same second.

The services and their logged-as-termination order:
- Windows Audio
- Computer Browser
- Cryptographic Services
- DHCP Client
- Logical Disk Manager
- Error Reporting Service
- COM+ Event System
- Fast User Switching Compatibility
- Help and Support
- HID Input Service
- Server
- Workstation
- Network Connections
- Network Location Awareness (NLA)
- Task Scheduler
- Secondary Logon
- System Event Notification
- Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
- Shell Hardware Detection
- System Restore Service
- Themes
- Distributed Link Tracking Client
- Windows Time
- Windows Management Information
- Security Center
- Automatic Updates
- Wireless Zero Configuration

Unfortunately I don't see anything here that directly helps, other than it's most likely one of these in this list that is the culprit. Some are not essential and so some testing can be done with disabling, but disabling others will break Windows' ability to use a network.

All the services listed are MS services, no third-party ones in there, so unfortunately we can't point fingers. :(

The instance of SVCHOST.EXE that crashes is the one with all those services... it's the single largest service host process. :X

Interestingly, my instance of this particular SVCHOST.EXE includes the Telephony process, which isn't listed as crashing in the event log... probably means it wasn't running for some reason or another.

2006-12-20, 5:49 PM #8
Yoshi likely disabled most of them.

At one point this thing brought down the RPC service, which caused his computer to do an unattended reboot. Sorta reminds me of blaster but he's running SP2 :P
2006-12-20, 6:09 PM #9
I'm wondering if this could be a rootkit int he form/fashion of Sony's. I haven't downloaded the fix.

Also I don't really disable services. I don't know, it looks like my best option is a backup/reinstall, though I really don't want to do it that way. Also, trying to root out the offending service could be an effort in futility--a lot of those services are essential. At first I thought it was my creative drivers (I have an SB! Live) but, like I said, I uninstalled then reinstalled and it STILL didn't work, and I've used the drivers on this version of windows before.
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!