Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → PSP or DS?
PSP or DS?
2006-12-20, 9:53 PM #1
I am going back to saving up my money again and decided to buy either the PSP or DS. I have alot of time to think about which one I am going to buy, but I am here asking for your suggestions. I am looking for the one with better RTS games, shooter, and RPG. Those three genre of games are generally my favorites. I prefer games with multiplayer, but if the singleplayer mode kicks ***, I'll go for the singleplayer.

Both Advanced Wars: Dual strike and Warhammer: battle for Altuma caught my attention for strategy gamesI heard Advanced Wars: Dual Strike is a really good game, but Warhammer: Battle for Atluma is also a good game too. I can't seem to figure out which is better.

The DS doesn't have much shooter games I hear and I heard the PSP Metal Gear Solid Portable ops is real good.

I am not too sure about the RPG games.

Please help me choose which portable console I should choose. Thank you.
Back again
2006-12-20, 10:05 PM #2
The DS is worth it just for Phoenix Wright.
一个大西瓜
2006-12-20, 10:21 PM #3
The man speaks the truth.

DS is amazing, PSP is pretty cool, but there aren't many new games coming out, Sony is kind of abandoning it. The homebrew stuff is interesting, especially the emulators and stuff. But you can do that on the PC, the DS is a truly unique experience.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-12-20, 10:30 PM #4
I never understood why people want to watch movies on a tiny little screen.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-12-20, 10:48 PM #5
Echoman: Ask the people who have an ipod video, theirs is smaller.

The DS has a larger selection of good games.

The PSP has better graphics, and enough good games. To list a few:
GTA LCS
GTA VCS
Syphon Filter
All the other shooters
Lumines
Valkyre Profile: Lenneth (basically the ONLY good RPG)
Lego Star wars is actually pretty good, I played it every night for a month.

Here's the real reaon why you should get a PSP: you can use it to play old PS1 games in the future (currently you need a PS3, but you will likely be able to buy games without one in the future).

I plan on using this to play FF8 and FF9 when they are released (I already played 7), and the system will soon have Final Fantays 7: Crisis Core, which will be awesome.

I really haven't been disappointed with my PSP at all... except the time I left it on the floor and stepped on it (I weight over 200 lbs). I had to replace it.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2006-12-20, 11:07 PM #6
Get a Gameboy Micro.
2006-12-20, 11:18 PM #7
Hmm. I've decided. I am going to buy a DS.
Back again
2006-12-20, 11:45 PM #8
I own both, but I haven't played any games on my PSP for months. It's become a bulky mp3 player for me.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-12-20, 11:45 PM #9
Surely there wasn't enough of this thread to convince you.
2006-12-20, 11:54 PM #10
Originally posted by Echoman:
I never understood why people want to watch movies on a tiny little screen.

You obviously don't travel a lot.
Pissed Off?
2006-12-21, 12:04 AM #11
Originally posted by Warlockmish:
Hmm. I've decided. I am going to buy a DS.

The Tony Hawk's games translate well too. Good man.
2006-12-21, 12:10 AM #12
Quote:
You obviously don't travel a lot.

Eh? I do travel often for weekends, sometimes going for 2+ hours in a car or train. If I need to watch DVDs, I watch them on my laptop. If I really need to watch DVDs and have no laptop, I would buy a portable DVD player (cheap these days). I simply don't see what's so great about going off and buy movies on a format only the PSP can run and can only be watched on that small screen. PSP movies seem to go for around $20 (I guess a decent price?) with little or no special features. Meh, whatever.

But then again, I'm guessing the PSP's strengh doesn't lie in those specialized movies.
2006-12-21, 12:19 AM #13
the umd movie thing is just an option... sony doesn't force you to buy any movies for your PSP (though i'm sure anyone who has a PSP ends up with at least one... i just bought mad max so i can have at least one movie for it)

my answer to the question... buy both
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2006-12-21, 12:22 AM #14
I got my girlfriend a pink DS Lite for Christmas, and I ended up giving it to her a couple weeks ago because I had no desire to try and hide it. She plays that thing constantly, and I have to admit it does have some fun features. I'm not too impressed with the touch screen at times, but it seems pretty solid overall. Having said all that, I don't see myself buying either a DS or a PSP.... I just don't like handhelds that much. If I do end up buying anything soon, it'll be a Wii.
Current Maps | Newest Map
2006-12-21, 12:23 AM #15
I don't own any UMD movies, because they cost too much. If I'm going to pay the price of a DVD, I'd rather just get the DVD.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
2006-12-21, 12:27 AM #16
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
the umd movie thing is just an option... sony doesn't force you to buy any movies for your PSP

Yes. I just never found this feature greatly interesting as Sony wants me to believe.

What interests me is this homebrew stuff which appears to expand the PSP's capabilities in a fun direction other than its silly PSP movie business. Is it limited to those early PSP versions or can you do the stuff on any PSP, including newer ones?
2006-12-21, 12:46 AM #17
I have a gameboy micro, it's toight, hehehe. For now, I'm content w/ classic mario, zelda, kirby, pokemon, mariokart, metroid, etc.

But if I was gonna choose between the other two, it'd definitely be the DS [lite?].
2006-12-21, 1:08 AM #18
Originally posted by Echoman:
Yes. I just never found this feature greatly interesting as Sony wants me to believe.

What interests me is this homebrew stuff which appears to expand the PSP's capabilities in a fun direction other than its silly PSP movie business. Is it limited to those early PSP versions or can you do the stuff on any PSP, including newer ones?

any firmware version higher than 1.50 won't work with homebrew (you can downgrade from i believe as high as 2.71) but since homebrew doesn't interest me as much as it could... i upgraded to the latest... maybe sony will see the light one day (or someone will find a way to make homebrew work on newer firmware)
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2006-12-21, 4:36 AM #19
Good as the touch screen is, the best games I've played for it (and admittedly I don't have very many) are the ones that don't try to use it for the sake of it - Mario and Mario Kart spring to mind.
2006-12-21, 5:47 AM #20
The DS is made with about 100 more buckets of awesome than the PSP.
2006-12-21, 6:39 AM #21
The PSP is great if you're willing to downgrade. The emulators is its biggest feature (along with all the other cool stuff).

I use it for emulators, internet radio, watching movies/tv, VNC, listening to music, and pretty much everything I do on the move. It's a great alternative to hauling a laptop around all the time, especially since memory sticks are getting pretty damn cheap.

Oh, that and MGS/Lumines is the single best reason to get it over a DS. Those two games are insanely awesome. Especially now that Lumines 2 is out. YESSSSS...
2006-12-21, 7:48 AM #22
Tetris > Lumines
2006-12-21, 10:15 AM #23
It really comes down to their needing to be 2 joysticks, for me. I can't believe they didn't.

Personally, I'll eventually get both. They AREN'T comparable. I'll be getting a PSP first, (When they start releasing umd PS1 games) simply so I can play FF8 ANYWHERE, and then the DS so I can play my Mario games. The touch screen on the DS annoys me, and I don't understand why it's so revolutionary or enjoyable. It's tedius.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-12-21, 10:49 AM #24
Originally posted by JediKirby:
The touch screen on the DS annoys me, and I don't understand why it's so revolutionary or enjoyable. It's tedius.

It's good for Advance Wars - Dual Strike. Besides that I'm not too bothered.
2006-12-21, 11:11 AM #25
It's good for Phoenix Wright too.

(You might've noticed I'm OBSESSED with this game(s))
一个大西瓜
2006-12-21, 11:17 AM #26
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
any firmware version higher than 1.50 won't work with homebrew (you can downgrade from i believe as high as 2.71) but since homebrew doesn't interest me as much as it could... i upgraded to the latest... maybe sony will see the light one day (or someone will find a way to make homebrew work on newer firmware)

I think it's firmware 2.something now, not too sure. You don't have to downgrade to 1.5.

[QUOTE=Chaz Ghostle]Tetris > Lumines[/QUOTE]
Hahahaha, no.

Originally posted by JediKirby:
It really comes down to their needing to be 2 joysticks, for me. I can't believe they didn't.

Personally, I'll eventually get both. They AREN'T comparable. I'll be getting a PSP first, (When they start releasing umd PS1 games) simply so I can play FF8 ANYWHERE, and then the DS so I can play my Mario games. The touch screen on the DS annoys me, and I don't understand why it's so revolutionary or enjoyable. It's tedius.

There's absolutely no hint that PS1 games will ever be released on UMD.

After owning a PSP and a DS Lite, I say PSP. Especially for what you want.
D E A T H
2006-12-21, 11:18 AM #27
Buy a PSP.
2006-12-21, 11:28 AM #28
I like my DS. Although the only games I have played are Mario Kart, New SMB, and Age of Empires, there are quite a few games I really want to get; Viewteful Joe, Resident Evil, Metroid Hunters. I do miss my PSP. Wipeout Pure was an amazing game. .(
2006-12-21, 11:40 AM #29
Wipeout Pure, Lumines, Every Extend Extra, Daxter, Syphon Filter, MGS:PO, GTA:LCS, GTA:VCS, and the homebrew are all great reasons to get a PSP. It's really gotten a very good repertoire of games in the last year. Not great, but very decent at the least.
D E A T H
2006-12-21, 12:39 PM #30
I have New Super Mario and Mario Kart, both are awesome. I want to check out AoE as well. I hear the castlevania games are awesome. Plus, a Zelda is coming out for DS later. The DS Lite is a lot better than DS, so don't get swayed by the sale prices (I think I saw some new DSs going for like 99 bucks - you save 30 but it's an inferior product by far).

DS wireless play rocks!
2006-12-21, 2:35 PM #31
Sometime next year Panzer Tactics and Steel Horizon will come out for the DS. I love RTS games.

Is Metroid prime DS worth the buy?
Back again
2006-12-21, 2:39 PM #32
Originally posted by Warlockmish:
Sometime next year Panzer Tactics and Steel Horizon will come out for the DS. I love RTS games.

Is Metroid prime DS worth the buy?

Sometime...next year. DS Lites are only 130, bound to go down here soon. But hey, not like those games could be flops or anything, rite?

And I hear Metroid is mediocre at best, like 99% of the FPS titles for DS. Starfox is the only shooter I can personally reccommend. I do reccommend Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (if you can find it), Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, Meteos, and Megaman ZX though.
D E A T H
2006-12-21, 3:38 PM #33
Kirby's Canvas Curse uses the stylus well, as does Starfox Command (surprisingly - weird at first, but it grows on you). Starfox also combines strategy with shooter rather well. MarioKart is also freakin' awesome, even if it's not under your types of games.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2006-12-21, 4:16 PM #34
I've owned both a DS and PSP. PSP is too expensive, the games are too expensive, there aren't enough of them, it's bulky and you have to install homebrew to get UMD-quality video off of a MemoryStick - it's intentionally crippled.

Maybe it'd be good for you; I don't know. All I know is that I hated mine, so I'll have to recommend the DS.

Also because of Trauma Center.
2006-12-21, 5:50 PM #35
I think the PSP's game line-up has improved a lot over the past year, going from merely average to pretty decent with games like MGS Portable Ops. It has potential going forward, but it's not gotten to a point where I'd flat out recommend it without question...and certainly not over the DS. If multimedia features are as important to someone as the games themselves it certainly could be worthwhile.

I think the DS wins in large part because of a strong line-up of simply excellent titles (New SMB, Mario Kart, Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow/Portrait of Ruin) coupled together with some really great "totally out there" titles like Phoenix Wright and...Elite Beat Agents, yes, a game that somehow managed to really impress me even though my expectations were not set high when I initially bought it. I also appreciate the array of genres available for the system i.e. Advance Wars DS for strategy game geeks, Animal Crossing WW for casual players, and Meteos for puzzle maniacs.

Just don't buy Metrod Prime Hunters or Nintendogs...both of these games are overrated IMO.
2006-12-21, 6:08 PM #36
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]But hey, not like those games could be flops or anything, rite?
[/QUOTE]

Never heard of the games he mentioned, and I agree that you don't really know if these games are going to turn out well. However, I think the DS has a pretty good line-up going forward wouldn't you agree? Dragon Quest 9 and Zelda: Phantom Hourglass are sure to be hits giving their track record. Of the Final Fantasy games coming for the system (XII: Revenant Wings, Chrystal Chronicles, Tactics Advance 2) at least one should turn out good. Then you have that DS game made by the Kingdom Hearts team...It's a Wonderful World it's called I think. Realistically, half of the games that look pretty decent for the DS will suck...just like half of the games released for most systems suck. I just highly doubt Nintendo could screw up a portable Zelda game for the DS, or Square-Enix their biggest money making franchise with Dragon Quest.
2006-12-22, 3:39 AM #37
Elite Beat Agents!

I just got my DS today. Onyx Black.

It was a return, and I snatched it and hid it 'til lunch.
2006-12-22, 8:36 AM #38
Originally posted by KnobZ2:
Never heard of the games he mentioned, and I agree that you don't really know if these games are going to turn out well. However, I think the DS has a pretty good line-up going forward wouldn't you agree? Dragon Quest 9 and Zelda: Phantom Hourglass are sure to be hits giving their track record. Of the Final Fantasy games coming for the system (XII: Revenant Wings, Chrystal Chronicles, Tactics Advance 2) at least one should turn out good. Then you have that DS game made by the Kingdom Hearts team...It's a Wonderful World it's called I think. Realistically, half of the games that look pretty decent for the DS will suck...just like half of the games released for most systems suck. I just highly doubt Nintendo could screw up a portable Zelda game for the DS, or Square-Enix their biggest money making franchise with Dragon Quest.

Yeah, I agree that there are a lot of good titles coming out for the DS. Just not the ones he mentioned.

I'm looking forward to DQ9 myself :D
D E A T H
2006-12-22, 9:55 AM #39
This guy has the answer!

↑ Up to the top!