Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → LOTR games...(rant-esque)
LOTR games...(rant-esque)
2006-12-21, 1:40 AM #1
So, I just got done watching all 3 extended versions of Lord of The Rings. And I must say, a lot better than the 'originals'. I dont know why they cut out so much of that footage.

Anyways, I decided to buy the "Return of the King" by EA for Xbox after my friend recommended it, and I must say...What an awful piece of ****...Truly. This game took about 7 hours to beat and is an absolute disgrace to the franchise and video games in general. The entire game consists of standing or moving around slightly while repeatedly pressing the A or Y button killing the same 'enemies' over and over again and then over again and occasionally using the action button to 'open a door' or 'fire a trajectory'. I am going to write to EA requesting that I be compensated for wasting 7 hours of my life.

I played the original 'Fellowship of The Ring' developed by WES i think, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Along with their 'Hobbit' game. I thought this was just the continuaiton of it. Sorely Mistaken. The Fellowship game looked like it took years to develop and create. This repugnant piece of crap was probably thrown together in a matter of months (if that) when they realized the other **** -ty mess, 'The Two towers' game was somehow moving copies. Leave it to EA to buy the rights to something and **** all over it, eat it, **** it out again, and force people to buy it. My so called "friend" who is now just an acquaintance, who told me about this game is going to have his testicles surgically removed, by me.

I am told that a sequal to the Fellowship game titled "Treason of Isenguard' was in the works, but then scrapped because EA bought the rights.

Anyways, thats my 3 cents. And to anyone of thinking of buying/playing this game, DONT!!!.....EVER!!!

Anyone else played/hated this game ??
2006-12-21, 3:11 AM #2
Yeah I love Return of the King! Great memories.

If anyone can name a better co-op game on the Gamecube I'd be interested in it. A friend and I spent hours trying to get 'Perfect' for each level. The combo and parry systems are actually half-decent if you level your characters up and try to use them.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-12-21, 3:23 AM #3
The only LotR game I've played was the SNES version of Fellowship of the Ring. It was pretty awful, the most fun I had with it was cracking the (admittedly simplistic) password system to start off with a maxed out party where everyone had multiple Stings equipped.

When it was released, there wasn't nearly the Tolkien fanaticism you saw during the film trilogy's lifespan, so they really had no excuse to make the game as rushed and senseless as I remember it being.

For the love of Luigi, it's not like we're talking Bebe's Kids here.

Though, to its credit, I think it was one of the few games to try using the SNES Mouse, another abandoned abomination spawned by Nintendo's characteristic creativity.
2006-12-21, 4:18 AM #4
I really enjoyed ROTK as a game. I got so much play out of that. Just because you think it's bad doesn't mean we all do.
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2006-12-21, 5:54 AM #5
Originally posted by Masq:
The only LotR game I've played was the SNES version of Fellowship of the Ring. It was pretty awful, the most fun I had with it was cracking the (admittedly simplistic) password system to start off with a maxed out party where everyone had multiple Stings equipped.

When it was released, there wasn't nearly the Tolkien fanaticism you saw during the film trilogy's lifespan, so they really had no excuse to make the game as rushed and senseless as I remember it being.

For the love of Luigi, it's not like we're talking Bebe's Kids here.

Though, to its credit, I think it was one of the few games to try using the SNES Mouse, another abandoned abomination spawned by Nintendo's characteristic creativity.

I think I remember that, wasnt it called "volume 1" or something? came out in 1994?
2006-12-21, 6:59 AM #6
Sounds about right. I don't think they ever got around to the other volumes though.
2006-12-21, 8:18 AM #7
I actually enjoyed the Return of the King game. It was fun to just hack and slash your way through as many orcs and others as you can. Plus, it's fun to compete with a friend on who can get the most kills.
2006-12-21, 8:48 AM #8
I haven't played any of those games but The Battle For Middle Earth (both 1 and 2) are really fun. I enjoyed them a lot.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2006-12-21, 9:02 AM #9
What, EA is bastardising good game series?!! I never would have thought.

*sigh* Just look what happened to Need for Speed.

Yeah, the SNES Fellowship... Never knew of it back in the day since I didn't own a console of any kind, but I did find it in my search for *.SMCs back during my emullation craze. Weird game. You have to go to some deadly cave to find the Gaffer's unbelieveably misplaced glasses before you can even leave the shire? Orcs are attacking Farmer Maggot? (Yeah, I died there. I think my party was equipped with feathers and twigs or something.) Probably all for the best that they never made any more volumes.

Speaking of which, did anyone play that Fellowship of the Ring game from Black Label? I had a good deal of fun with that- they cut plenty of corners and added in other weird crap that didn't have anything to do with the story, but it was pretty good on the whole. (Really liked "Enclave" as well, which was also put out by the same studio.)
2006-12-21, 10:08 AM #10
I agree completelly. My parents bought me the game for christmas, but I had already rented it months before, and beat it in the rent.

Honestly, I don't see how the game is fun. A retarded monkey could play the game.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-12-21, 11:33 AM #11
rotk is pretty good, you simply have to play it with a friend thought
2006-12-21, 12:01 PM #12
It's really fun with friends. I guess that's why some of you don't find it fun

:D

But seriously, I find it enjoyable for what it is. However, the best LOTR type game I played would have to be The Hobbit (the platformer one). I really enjoyed that for some reason
2006-12-21, 2:14 PM #13
Yea, I liked ROTK. Chill out.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2006-12-21, 4:40 PM #14
Originally posted by Spork:
Yeah I love Return of the King! Great memories.

If anyone can name a better co-op game on the Gamecube I'd be interested in it. A friend and I spent hours trying to get 'Perfect' for each level. The combo and parry systems are actually half-decent if you level your characters up and try to use them.

My brother and I did the same. Coop was definitely the best part of the game.
Pissed Off?
2006-12-21, 5:05 PM #15
Return of the King was a great game. It was the closest experience you can get to a modern day Golden Axe game. You definitely couldn't button mash through the game though when fighting some of the bosses and shielded opponents.

↑ Up to the top!