Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → *Insert witty title* MP3 player problem
*Insert witty title* MP3 player problem
2006-12-21, 8:17 AM #1
So I finally got off my *** and bought a Creative Zen Sleek Photo, 20gb, for $130 off WalMart.com. It arrived, and I was pleased.

I turned it on while it was charging to check out the features and stuff. Seemed pretty neat.

Then I installed the CDs that came with it, following the directions to every last detail. I tried this several times. I just couldn't get the Sleek Photo to sync with anything. I'd plug it in, and Windows would make the "OMG DETECTED!" sound, and then on "OMG UNPLUGGED!" sound right after that, like I'd disconnected the USB cable (Hint: I hadn't).

Now, I got into the Zen and messed around with the settings to partition a bit of the drive as a storage drive. I plugged it in again, and, lo-and-behold, IT WORKED (or atleast it showed up as a removable drive in My Computer). But I can't put music on the thing that way, listen to the music, look at photos, and all that stuff, because it's just a removable drive then.

So does anyone have any idea why it may have worked in the latter case, but not the former? I'm considering just returning it to get a new one and see if the problem persists, but was wondering if anyone here had any ideas.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-12-21, 8:28 AM #2
Are you sure you can't use it's mp3 player capabilities in storage device mode?
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-12-21, 8:35 AM #3
Pretty sure. There were no folders or anything in there, and I'm not sure what I'd have to name the folder to get it to play music.

I just want it to friggin' sync with Windows Media Player.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-12-21, 8:42 AM #4
See if there's a way to reformat the device, either via a program or something on the device itself.
2006-12-21, 8:47 AM #5
I have an (old) Creative Jukebox 3 and the file explorer in My Computer is only for transferring data files. To transfer music you have to use the Creative software that comes on the CD.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2006-12-21, 9:48 AM #6
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]See if there's a way to reformat the device, either via a program or something on the device itself.[/QUOTE]
I did, and it made the "Ascending DooDOO!" sound that something was connected. I didn't hear the disconnecting sound. But it STILL didn't show up when I tried syncing with WMP, and it didn't show up in my "Remove Devices" panel. Although, just shut it off and it made the "disconnect" sound on my computer. It's just not recognized by any programs to sync with.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-12-21, 9:54 AM #7
restart your computer, silly person.
install drivers? restart computer
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-12-21, 10:03 AM #8
I did. I'll go through installing everything one more time, and a reboot. If I can't get it then, I'll come back again.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-12-21, 10:30 AM #9
I dont think you'll be able to copy music to it using Windows Media Player. I'm pretty sure you'll need to use the software from the CD.
k
N
2006-12-21, 10:33 AM #10
I installed everything from the free AOL to the Creative Program and the Walmart music program, still nothing. It's like it's missing drivers, but I installed everything on the CD.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-12-21, 10:34 AM #11
Which Creative program is it?
k
N
2006-12-21, 10:48 AM #12
It just says 'Creative Zen Sleek Photo' and 'Creative MediaSource'

But I just found some drivers on their site, so I'll try them.

Edit; These were firmware upgrade drivers. I don't need those. I need PC drivers, I'm guessing.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-12-21, 10:50 AM #13
The mildhotsaucepacket talks to you. It tells you
"Before the time, there was no love."
And everything was dark.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-12-21, 10:54 AM #14
You can transfer songs using MediaSource.
k
N
2006-12-21, 11:11 AM #15
Doesn't work.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-12-21, 11:53 AM #16
You could try updating the firmware. Also try a different cable... maybe jiggle the cable in the slot and try to get it to work. Maybe there isn't contact with the cable all the way in. Try a different USB port.
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2006-12-21, 12:05 PM #17
I've tried 2 or 3 different USB ports and nothing to show for it. The cable is weird and so I can't really try a different one. I'll try jiggling it, that MAY work. But I discovered that the "ding" for disconnecting only happens when I turn the MP3 player off. It's just NOT SHOWING UP TO SYNC WITH ANYTHING. I can partition part of the drive, and it shows up in My Computer. It just doesn't show up ANYWHERE else.

And I'm pretty sure I have the latest firmware on it, strangely enough. I downloaded something and it said upgrade to firmware "1.10.01" and I looked at my "System" in the MP3 player, and that's the version I have.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-12-21, 12:14 PM #18
Hmm. I just partitioned 2 gb to be used for extra stuff. This 2gb showed up to be synced in WMP, which I found weird. I synced some music to the drive, but couldn't play it. Perhaps the rest of the HDD isn't formatted? Would sending it back to WalMart for a new one possibly solve this problem?
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-12-21, 2:02 PM #19
What did you format that 2GB as? You probably should reformat it as FAT16 or FAT32 if you can.
2006-12-21, 3:00 PM #20
I just selected the "Select Partition Size: 2gb." and that was it. And I clicked the reformat thing on the player itsself with a safety pin, did nothing.
I had a blog. It sucked.

↑ Up to the top!