Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Taskbar takes approximately 1:40 to load
Taskbar takes approximately 1:40 to load
2006-12-24, 12:41 PM #1
Currently running into a problem that I'm having difficulty resolving where the taskbar, on any desktop, takes approximately one minute and 40 seconds to load (I've timed it). The only program that's getting loaded into the system tray is PC-Cillin.

However, most of the icons on the desktop can be accessed by double-clicking, but some of them will become "busy" and clicking the open window brings up a "Server is Busy" message.

Any ideas?
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-12-24, 12:52 PM #2
Since Windows lacks a decent maintenance mode, the only thing I can think of is a reinstall, since something in your Windows is definitely broken.
2006-12-24, 1:00 PM #3
Windows has a recovery install, smartass.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-12-24, 1:15 PM #4
Nerdily Owned!
2006-12-24, 1:58 PM #5
is it that your whole desktop is unresponsive or just that the taskbar takes ages to completely load?

I had a problem a while back that stemmed from installing .net framework 1 and a program used to watch TV shows shown on Sky, something called Sky Broadband.

Anyways, point is, I'd get into windows fine, in about 20-25secs but I wouldn't be able to do anything (on desktop, start menu, nothing) for about another minute, during which I could see on task manager (added it as first item to load at startup and only thing that was responsive) that my processor was just sitting there idle doing nothing, then all of a sudden, bam, everything loads up.

Not sure why this happened but I found out what caused it and never again will I install that stupid program.

Only advice I can give is to clear your startup of everything and then load them in 1 by 1, takes ages and lots of restarts in some cases, but from memory Wolfy your rather computer literate so I'm guessing you've tried this already...
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-12-24, 7:27 PM #6
Sounds as if it might be a ram problem.
2006-12-24, 8:54 PM #7
It's the taskbar that takes forever to load. Programs that have icons on the desktop can be run; however, sometimes those programs that can run pop up with a "Server is Busy" message whenever I click on that program to bring it into focus.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-12-24, 9:38 PM #8
...Server is Busy? That's really, really strange.
2006-12-24, 9:45 PM #9
It's an HP pre-built system my dad got for $100. I told him that he should simply wipe the HD and install a fresh installation of XP, but he didn't listen to me. I suspect that this is a product of such inaction.
2006-12-25, 9:23 AM #10
I've had the issue of the taskbar taking forever before (and never fixed it), but yes, the "Server is busy" thing is pretty weird.

↑ Up to the top!