Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Ipod...
Ipod...
2006-12-25, 9:59 AM #1
Ok simple question

I need to get an Ipod to work under win 98.
2006-12-25, 10:02 AM #2
Ok simple answer.

Quote:
Windows system requirements

* PC with USB 2.0
* Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 or later, or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 2 or later
* iTunes 7 or later(5)

You probably don't even have USB 2.0

o.0
2006-12-25, 10:05 AM #3
Aperantly i do.
My Nano works just fine.
Cept that windows won't recognize it.
2006-12-25, 10:13 AM #4
Well then it doesn't work just fine then does it genius?
2006-12-25, 10:13 AM #5
Works just fine except you cant put music on it?

o.0
2006-12-25, 10:35 AM #6
Itunes isn't 98 compatible. And windows won't recognize it as a drive. Otherwise it fits in the thing fine and windows scans for drivers. Of course there aren't any.
2006-12-25, 10:51 AM #7
USB 1.x and USB 2.0 have the same socket, so of course it fits. You don't have USB 2.0.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-12-25, 10:54 AM #8
It won't work.
D E A T H
2006-12-25, 10:56 AM #9
It won't work. I've tried.

Buy a windows XP upgrade disk, it's probably like $40.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-12-25, 11:00 AM #10
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
Itunes isn't 98 compatible. And windows won't recognize it as a drive. Otherwise it fits in the thing fine and windows scans for drivers. Of course there aren't any.

So what part of that works just fine again?
2006-12-25, 11:30 AM #11
That it fits in the socket...
2006-12-25, 11:33 AM #12
That it fits in the socket...

So does Play-Do...
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-12-25, 11:43 AM #13
Originally posted by fishstickz:
So does Play-Do...

Well man, anything goes with that stuff right there.
2006-12-25, 11:58 AM #14
I guess the system requirements are just a suggestion.
Pissed Off?
2006-12-25, 12:12 PM #15
If winamp supports 98, then you should be able to use it to transfer music to your ipod. (But don't hold me to it, if it doesn't). The ability to transfer music to it may not work at all under 98.
A computer's worst nightmare:

HazTeam Website-=HT=
2006-12-25, 12:16 PM #16
I don't think USB works for Window 95 and below.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-12-25, 12:17 PM #17
He needs USB 2.0 but doesn't have it.

It won't work. At all.

Ever.

Unless he finds a PCI card with USB 2.0 ports on it or something, which probably won't support windows 98 either.
2006-12-25, 12:19 PM #18
It WILL PROBABLY work with USB 1.1, before my first generation mini exploded I used it on my USB 1.1 computers all the time. Your system's issue is that it's Windows 98, which lacks the drivers for USB mass storage. Maybe look around online for some Windows 98 mass storage drivers or something?

[although honestly, your best bet in the short and long term would be to upgrade to XP...]
2006-12-25, 12:51 PM #19
By the way, that wasn't a question.
Warhead[97]
2006-12-25, 12:57 PM #20
Simple solution: Get a new PC.

Another simple solution: Don't get an iPod.
2006-12-25, 1:02 PM #21
USB1.1 just makes loading stuff to/from a usb device holypoopslow in comparison

nothing more, nothing less
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-12-25, 1:52 PM #22
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]Simple solution: Get a new PC.

Another simple solution: Don't get an iPod.[/QUOTE]
Twas a christmas present.
Even after for a whole damn year i said "No it won't work! Don't get one yet!"

And i found USB drivers. Problem is is that my dad thinks that they'll kill the ipod.
Damniit! :argh:
2006-12-25, 1:54 PM #23
I'm sure you did.

I mean, just a while ago you couldn't tell the difference between working and non-working.

You don't even know what mass storage is.
2006-12-25, 4:17 PM #24
I don't have USB 2.0 on my machine and my iPod (video) and my girlfriend's iPod Nano work fine.
2006-12-25, 5:00 PM #25
Quote:
And i found USB drivers. Problem is is that my dad thinks that they'll kill the ipod.
Damniit!

Uhhh... screw him and get them anyway. He probably won't notice.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2006-12-25, 5:02 PM #26
To all of the people saying you need USB 2.0:

Not to transfer.

Edit (to explain better): USB 2.0 Mass Storage Devices are backwards-compatible with USB 1.0/1.1, but 1.0/1.1 might not carry enough power to recharge the iPod. You could probably fix this with a powered hub. The transfer rate would also be much, much slower. It's certainly possible.

To imsoshort:

People like you shouldn't be allowed to touch computers. iTunes has to install a background service to work and Windows 98 doesn't support them. You cannot put music on your iPod without iTunes. It will never, ever work under Windows 98. Stop trying. It is impossible.

I know exactly how to get it working without having to spend a dime (or pirate software), but imsoshort just isn't good enough at computers to do it.
2006-12-25, 5:03 PM #27
Drivers? He sure sounds like he knows what he's talking about. :rolleyes:

But like everyone else has said, it doesn't matter. You need, XP, and XP on your machine sounds like hell on earth.
2006-12-25, 5:40 PM #28
Problem is is that my dad thinks that they'll kill the ipod.
Damniit! :argh:

The USB standard defines one 5v power pin, one 0v ground, and two data pins. The drivers don't control the voltage flow, not to mention the iPod probably has a regulator built in anyway. There is no way data can kill an iPod like that.

Also, what Jon`C said.
2006-12-25, 5:56 PM #29
Originally posted by Jon`C:
To all of the people saying you need USB 2.0:

To imsoshort:

People like you shouldn't be allowed to touch computers. iTunes has to install a background service to work and Windows 98 doesn't support them. You cannot put music on your iPod without iTunes. It will never, ever work under Windows 98. Stop trying. It is impossible.

I know exactly how to get it working without having to spend a dime (or pirate software), but imsoshort just isn't good enough at computers to do it.

imsoshort hasnt posted on this thread...
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2006-12-25, 5:58 PM #30
Tiberium_Empire = imososhort
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2006-12-25, 6:01 PM #31
Originally posted by drizzt2k2:
imsoshort hasnt posted on this thread...

He posted the topic...

[EDIT]damn... TheJK beat me to it[/EDIT]
2006-12-25, 6:02 PM #32
Originally posted by Emon:
The USB standard defines one 5v power pin, one 0v ground, and two data pins. The drivers don't control the voltage flow, not to mention the iPod probably has a regulator built in anyway. There is no way data can kill an iPod like that.

Also, what Jon`C said.

Yes it can. It can screw it up quite easily, all it needs is to corrupt the drive in such a way that the iPod refuses to read it anymore (won't let you touch it, format it, turn it on, nothing). I know this as my old english teacher did so. He wasn't happy.
2006-12-25, 6:13 PM #33

Just for the sake of curiosity, how is this?
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-12-25, 6:32 PM #34
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
Just for the sake of curiosity, how is this?
amaroK
2006-12-25, 6:49 PM #35
Hmm. It would be a pain to do every time, but you're right. Just use a live disk. However, on the same idea of using other applications, would Winamp not work? Its minimum requirement is 98se. Or is there still a service that is running in the background?
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2006-12-25, 7:02 PM #36
Originally posted by Vegiemaster:
Hmm. It would be a pain to do every time, but you're right. Just use a live disk. However, on the same idea of using other applications, would Winamp not work? Its minimum requirement is 98se. Or is there still a service that is running in the background?
I didn't actually know Winamp has full iPod support.

Winamp should work fine.
2006-12-25, 7:10 PM #37
you can get a plugin that does it i believe
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-12-25, 7:36 PM #38
Well thanks for all the help.
But alas my dad won't let me because he doesn't trust "Some internert wierdo" with our ipod.

So consider the thread done.
2006-12-25, 7:37 PM #39
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]Yes it can. It can screw it up quite easily, all it needs is to corrupt the drive in such a way that the iPod refuses to read it anymore (won't let you touch it, format it, turn it on, nothing). I know this as my old english teacher did so. He wasn't happy.[/QUOTE]
Okay, I suppose it can corrupt the file system. I was thinking more along the lines of physically damaging other parts of the device, e.g. "frying" it.

amaroK

Or foobar2000, or maybe even MusikCube. FB2K is bar far from user friendly.
2006-12-25, 7:54 PM #40
But alas my dad won't let me because he doesn't trust "Some internert wierdo" with our ipod.
I hope you didn't open it because you'll never, ever be able to use that ipod and I really doubt you or your source of genetic material have the intellectual faculties to solve the problem for yourselves. Furthermore, you are too blithe to listen to people who know more than you do (which is every person you have ever spoken to with the possible exception of your father), and you are apparently too daft to learn not to ask at all (since you automatically reject any advice that isn't what you want to hear - namely that you are perfect, you are doing nothing wrong, but the product is defective).

Quote:
So consider the thread done.
We don't do that here. In fact, I don't think this forum is the right one to serve your needs. I recommend this one or maybe this. Stop posting here.

↑ Up to the top!