Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → "Mwahaha! Mine is an evil laugh!"
"Mwahaha! Mine is an evil laugh!"
2004-07-09, 8:41 PM #1
Who besides me and Fastgamerr watches Firefly? This has got to be the coolest science fiction show to come around in a long time (it's surely better than the last four Star Treks)...it manages to be hilarious without getting stupid, and it's wicked. Seriously. Don't google for more information, just go out and buy the DVD set - it's that good; really not like anything else out there.

Fox cancelled it after 14 episodes, but creator Joss Whedon (who also did Buffy and Angel, two shows which I never got into but are apparently good stuff) is filming a Firefly movie, so we'll at least get two more hours of it.

My favourite eps (besides the pilot) are Objects in Space, Jaynestown and Out of Gas.

But yeah. If you even remotely like Star Trek amd Star Warsish type stuff, you'll like Firefly. A lot.

------------------
"Look at me! I'm Tracer! BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-07-09, 8:49 PM #2
when that show came out, i was still pissed at fox b/c they cancelled Dark Angel. The second season was nowhere near as good as the first, but it didn't warrant cancelling, IMO.

anyway, i watched firefly, but I couldn't really get into it. it just didn't hold my attention, and i stopped watching it after the third episode.

------------------
The University of North Carolina has finally found a network server that, although missing for four years, hasn't missed a packet in all that time. Try as they might, university administrators couldn't find the server. Working with Novell Inc., IT workers tracked it down by meticulously following cable until they literally ran into a wall. The server had been mistakenly sealed behind drywall by maintenance workers.
2004-07-09, 8:55 PM #3
Farscape > *

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-09, 8:58 PM #4
River is such a sweet girl.

And Jayne is such a badass. Gotta love him.

I really need to get the DVD set... my favorite episodes are Trash, Objects in Space, Serenity 1/2... I have to the series again to write a proper list. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

This series rocks.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-07-09, 8:59 PM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Farscape > *

</font>

I have to agree with that though.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-07-09, 9:56 PM #6
Firefly, apparently, was very hard to get into as it was shown on Fox because the network aired the episodes out of order (they showed the pilot last. Go figure). The first time I saw it, I was probably channel surfing for explosions, and when Firefly came on (it was "Our Mrs. Reynolds") I was just like "horses? What the hell?," but seen in order, it's actually quite good.

------------------

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-07-10, 11:54 AM #7
I never got into it. Mostly becaue it was never on at the same time or the same day, which really blows. I hate it when they do that

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-07-10, 12:12 PM #8
I only watched Firefly for the amazingly beautiful jewel whats-her-face.

Otherwise, its startgate all the way baby!!

------------------
[url="http://www.techaven.net/Ivory&Blood_Bit1.mp3

http://www.techaven.net/Ivory&Blood_Bit2.mp3"]http://www.techaven.net/Ivory&Blood_Bit1.mp3

http://www.techaven.net/Ivory&Blood_Bit2.mp3[/url]
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-07-10, 12:21 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tracer:
...(it's surely better than the last four Star Treks)...</font>

If you want to talk trash about DS9, Voyager or Enterprise, fine -- they each have their own significant number of people who don't like 'em. But that's three, and the last series that came out before those was Next Generation. Firefly might be a good show, but you're making me highly skeptical to say the least that it's better than TNG.

Besides, you're Tracer -- you should say Firefly is better than Ghandi... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

[This message has been edited by Gebohq (edited July 10, 2004).]
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2004-07-10, 2:36 PM #10
Everyone in the cantina keeps raving about Firefly but it never came out on tv over here or on DVD [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

Stupid backwater country.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-07-10, 2:59 PM #11
I don't watch TV :|

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-10, 5:48 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Farscape > *

</font>

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²[/i]
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-07-10, 5:57 PM #13
You've set the bar way too high by saying it's better than TNG, DS9, and Voyager.

I never actually saw Firefly, but the commercials didn't really interest me.

------------------
Because you're as bored as I am
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-07-10, 6:01 PM #14
Next Generation was alright. It had it's fair share of great episodes, but DS9 in my opinion was FAR superior.

DS9 was just awesome. I like it because you had an ongoing backstory with the same locations. Major plus right there. After the Dominion became involved, you saw sides of the Federation and Starfleet that you hadn't seen before. You saw the good guys loosing. Episodes would end with the bad guys winning the day. Hell, there could be a month where if you missed one episode, you missed a LOAD of plot.

Much love for DS9.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-07-10, 6:11 PM #15
I've been watching DS9 on Spike TV, and although I like it, I haven't picked up on much ongoing plot. Spike might not be showing them in order though.

------------------
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
2004-07-10, 6:44 PM #16
I think they are, but the major ongoing plot really kicked in after the Dominion entered. Right now I think the only ongoing plot is the "love story" of Kira/Odo/Shikar and Sisko/Yates. There might be another, but it's slipping my mind right now, and I don't think they've come in contact with the Dominion yet. I'm not sure.

I've been watching it as well, but I'm not positive I know where in the series they are right now.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-07-10, 9:18 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I never actually saw Firefly, but the commercials didn't really interest me.

</font>

Again, Fox did it's best to kill the show. The commercials didn't really reflect it.

Actually, Chaz, you strike me as someone who would enjoy Firefly a lot. I know that you like/liked Lexx, and you seem to be more of a general fan of SF than a devotee to any particular show.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Besides, you're Tracer -- you should say Firefly is better than Ghandi...

</font>

I don't get this, but I think it's pretty freaking cool that I've got some kind of reputation.

The reason I enjoy it more than Star Trek is because even TNG took a good two seasons to get going, whereas Firefly was great from episode one (I like Star Trek, but by Enterprise we'd been doing the exact same thing for four series'. Firefly does something new for a change. I mean, I never once laughed during an episode of TNG, good as it was...).

------------------

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-07-11, 2:06 PM #18
Hmm, do you think Firefly could be picked up by the Sci Fi Channel? I don't really have any money and I need to save up for the Star Wars DVD set.

What about the movie? Will it be in theaters or made for TV?

------------------
- Vash the Stampede
2004-07-11, 2:12 PM #19
No chance of it being on another channel...Fox owns the whole thing. The movie's produced by Universal for theatres (April of next year, I think).

------------------

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-07-11, 3:43 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tracer:
I like Star Trek, but by Enterprise we'd been doing the exact same thing for four series'.

</font>

Perhaps. I suppose the general concept and backbone behind those series is always the same.

But with Enterprise... I watched the first three episodes, decided it was really dumb and stopped watching it. Continuity in that show is awful. The design of the ship for one. Why would you have something that looks that complex, then move on to something like in TOS that is much simpler looking, then in TNG move back to a more complex design? Control interfaces are another thing that bothered me. They were using touchpads. In TOS they used switches, knobs, and sliders. In TNG they used touchpads. Why would they be using touchpads that far back, move up to knobs, and then back to touchpads?

Bad continuity.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand

↑ Up to the top!