Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Hasta la Vista, Windows!
Hasta la Vista, Windows!
2006-12-26, 11:37 AM #1
Maybe it's not so secure after all.
This is quite unfortunate. It's way past time for a new Windows, but if they need to delay Vista in order to fix these issues, that's better than releasing another substandard, super-buggy OS.
<|:(
"It is not advisable, James, to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener."
"Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it."
2006-12-26, 11:40 AM #2
Another reason to use firefox.
2006-12-26, 11:45 AM #3
M$'s market share will overcome the bugs of their OS, regardless of how much complaint there is. At least they have moved beyond the era of incessant crashing after the release of XP.
2006-12-26, 1:15 PM #4
Originally posted by JDKNITE188:
M$'s market share will overcome the bugs of their OS, regardless of how much complaint there is. At least they have moved beyond the era of incessant crashing after the release of XP.

We have used 95 and 98 for ten years and never had one crash.
2006-12-26, 1:18 PM #5
Liar.
2006-12-26, 3:23 PM #6
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:

You are lying.
D E A T H
2006-12-26, 5:17 PM #7
No i am not.
Though we had a nasty virus. once.
But only once.
2006-12-26, 5:35 PM #8
That's nearly impossible, and even if you're telling the truth (Which you're not), it's so unlikely that calling those Operating Systems "stable" is a lie.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-12-26, 5:40 PM #9

I call bull****. There is no way you've only seen the Blue Screen of Death only once in ten years on those two OS.
Pissed Off?
2006-12-26, 6:14 PM #10

I'm guessing you don't really know what a crash is.
2006-12-26, 6:32 PM #11
Well it has minorly crash [freeze up n such] but never fail so badly we had reinstall.
Had this copy of 98 running for 3 years now [Ever since i got this comp for completely free]
2006-12-26, 6:46 PM #12
Well it has minorly crash [freeze up n such] but never fail so badly we had reinstall.
Had this copy of 98 running for 3 years now [Ever since i got this comp for completely free]

Crash != reinstall

:psyduck:
woot!
2006-12-26, 6:46 PM #13
I have to say, when I had 98SE it didn't crash all that often, and when it did, a simple restart solved the problem.

I admit though, I've only got a blue screen twice with XP from the few years I've used it.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-12-26, 7:03 PM #14

Okay, then it's crashed. "Freezing up" and forcing you to hard reboot is most definitely a crash, and shouldn't be tolerated in an OS.
2006-12-26, 8:25 PM #15

That is a crash.

No fresh install for 3 years on a daily use computer is stupid.
2006-12-26, 11:42 PM #16
[QUOTE=Glyde Bane]I admit though, I've only got a blue screen twice with XP from the few years I've used it.[/QUOTE]

I don't remember ever getting a BSOD in XP...
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2006-12-26, 11:43 PM #17
I get BSODs in XP kind of often (on my desktop), but the RAM is faulty and it happens.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2006-12-26, 11:57 PM #18
arent most xp crashes due to poorly coded device drivers by third parties instead of microsoft's ineptitude?
2006-12-26, 11:58 PM #19
Originally posted by Rob:
That is a crash.

No fresh install for 3 years on a daily use computer is stupid.

Ya i know. I really have to re-format sometime soon i just don't wanna have to reinstall everything.

Lazyness indeed.
2006-12-27, 12:06 AM #20
I'm easily 9 times as lazy as you, everyone will vouch for me.

However, I still re-install yearly.
2006-12-27, 3:17 AM #21
I haven't got the "Press enter to continue" BSOD in a while.

However, lately I get some "Critical System Error" that makes my computer restart after I stare at Courier New font for a while going "WTF is this ****" for a minute.

Since installing Linux, reinstalling Linux (repeat about 5 times), and then going back to XP after a week or so on Linux, I've had like 1 of those Critical Failures. Which has been less than a week. Yay dell. :\
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2006-12-27, 8:14 AM #22
I haven't had a problem with XP since I replaced some faulty memory about 2 years ago.

I still reinstall every 6-9months because XP has a habit of getting slower and slower the longer you have it installed.

I still have XP installed, but also have Vista (I got it free through my university anyway so I thought i'd try it out.) I like Vista. Its not enough of an improvement over XP to warrant paying for though.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2006-12-27, 8:16 AM #23
I can create a BSOD on XP anytime I want for my Dell laptop by making the computer search for where the touchpad is.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-12-27, 9:49 AM #24

Ha! I knew it!
2006-12-27, 12:30 PM #25
XP's always been stable for me, any lock ups were due to programs, and usually only required that that particular program be terminated.

Then there was the time my hard drive was dying. Started with a blue screen, and windows sent me to an error page to the effect of "one or more of the following overheated: ..." Then a few weeks later it started making noises and I had to use a knoppix live cd to ack up data because I waited too long to back up.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2006-12-27, 12:41 PM #26
Originally posted by Rob:
However, I still re-install yearly.

That's really not necessary. Most of the time, a re-install is needed due the cluttering of registry or malware - all of which can be easily corrected without having to wipe your system.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2006-12-27, 1:08 PM #27
Originally posted by Wolfy:
That's really not necessary. Most of the time, a re-install is needed due the cluttering of registry or malware - all of which can be easily corrected without having to wipe your system.

It can be corrected, but not easily. Reinstalls really are the way to go--just keep a 160gb or so drive dedicated to your games/programs/windows install, and then wipe every time you feel neccesary.
D E A T H
2006-12-27, 1:48 PM #28
I agree with Wolfy. The OS should manage these things, but XP doesn't do it that well. However I still reinstall maybe once a year, but it's usually because I break something.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-12-27, 1:56 PM #29
Originally posted by Wolfy:

A clean wipe also forces you to organize the heaps of files that you aren't doing anything with.

↑ Up to the top!