Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → You can't take the sky from me...
You can't take the sky from me...
2006-12-28, 9:01 PM #1
Recieved the 'complete series' of Firefly on DVD, and I feel dirty that I didn't get around to seeing it earlier. About half way through, and it's already taken a high place on my list of things that are amazing.

I have noticed a trend though. The episodes have gotten increasingly dramatic (Espescially on the third disc, starting with 'Out of Gas'). Not that I'm complaining or anything, it's just an odd change of style so suddenly is wierd.

In fact, after the episode 'Ariel', I had the feeling of being home when they returned to Serenity. It's wierd, I know, but damn if it didn't touch me.

So uh... Discuss Firefly, I guess.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-12-28, 9:07 PM #2
Awesome show that had too short a life.
Pissed Off?
2006-12-28, 9:18 PM #3
Haven't seen it, and I know that if I watch it and like it I'll be angry that it didn't last long, so I plan on just not watching it, ever.
2006-12-28, 9:26 PM #4
Better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all, Aglar.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2006-12-28, 9:30 PM #5
I have the series sitting here on my desk, on loan from a guy at work...I really should get around to watching it..
woot!
2006-12-28, 9:43 PM #6
[QUOTE=Glyde Bane]In fact, after the episode 'Ariel', I had the feeling of being home when they returned to Serenity. It's wierd, I know, but damn if it didn't touch me.[/QUOTE]

Serenity is home. :(
2006-12-28, 9:44 PM #7
you really should, and then watch the movie
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2006-12-28, 9:53 PM #8
I didn't even know the series existed until the beginning of this year. Since then I've borrowed the DVDs of the series and the movie from a friend, and I thoroughly enjoyed all of it. I think if the network had actually tried to promote it, it could have been a big success for them.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2006-12-28, 10:56 PM #9
I watched the pilot, and it was pretty much awful.
2006-12-28, 10:58 PM #10
[QUOTE=Connection Problem]I watched the pilot, and it was pretty much awful.[/QUOTE]
Banned.
2006-12-28, 11:01 PM #11
My friend made me watch Serenity. I fell asleep. He kicked me awake and I watched the end. Then the next week he came over and we watched two of the discs form Firefly. That weekend I saw the rest of the episodes, then I bought Serenity that day, and then a week after that I bought the entire Series. Two months afterward I bought the soundtrack to the show. Tonight I bought the soundtrack to the movie. . .yeah. I am additced. If I had a credit card I would probably have the action figures now too. :P
My blawgh.
2006-12-28, 11:09 PM #12
Action Figures?
2006-12-28, 11:10 PM #13
[QUOTE=Connection Problem]I watched the pilot, and it was pretty much awful.[/QUOTE]

Now, did you watch the real pilot called "Serenity" or the second episode, which was hastily written and produced because Fox thought the real pilot wasn't action packed enough to be good?
Pissed Off?
2006-12-28, 11:13 PM #14
Originally posted by Avenger:
Now, did you watch the real pilot called "Serenity" or the second episode, which was hastily written and produced because Fox thought the real pilot wasn't action packed enough to be good?

I watched the one with a barfight, and where they hijack a train and fight a big dude with lots of tatoos.
2006-12-28, 11:16 PM #15
yeah, that's not the pilot.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-12-28, 11:16 PM #16
Yeah, that's the crappy pilot.
2006-12-28, 11:22 PM #17
That was Fox's first **** up with Firefly.
Pissed Off?
2006-12-29, 3:35 AM #18
It took me a couple of tries to get through the pilot (the real one, that is). It just didn't seem like my sort of show. But by about the third episode, I was rationing them out to make it last longer.

Out of Gas is a great episode, but I think you're right, they do get more and more dramatic. Perhaps Joss was already aware that they weren't continuing, and had certain ideas he really wanted to get into the show. Having said that, I do remember feeling that waaaay too much happened in the movie, because I was used to having just one main storyline at a time being dealt with.
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2006-12-29, 3:39 AM #19
I watched it completely last time in 2004, I should stop having stupid life things and watch the complete DVD set soon enough :mad:
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-12-29, 4:20 AM #20
I actually saw part of Our Mrs. Reynolds when it was on TV. I actually turned it off about twenty minutes in.

But then later I bought the DVDs and now I love Firefly.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-12-29, 4:52 AM #21
I love the series, but I didn't enjoy the film so much. Maybe it is because I've only seen it once and I missed something. And I've even read the comic books that fill in the gap between Firefly and Serenity. Heh.
幻術
2006-12-29, 5:59 AM #22
Yeah I agree, the series is intrinsically better than the movie. But that's like saying sex with 10 models is intrinsically better than sex with 9 models...
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2006-12-29, 6:08 AM #23
My opinion of firefly: meh.

It was ok. The cowboys part just seemed cheesy to me and made me cringe as if I were watching the office or something :P

Some of the episodes were good. The one where the ship is dead in space and the one where they rob a hospital come to mind but overall it was pretty mediocre. It did seem to get better towards the end. They seemed to be phasing out the whole cowboys thing a bit.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2006-12-29, 7:13 AM #24
<3 Firefly.

<3 The Office too, for that matter.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-12-29, 7:33 AM #25
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
<3 The Office too, for that matter.

Glad someone has some sense.
2006-12-29, 8:35 AM #26
I record it on Thursday nights and then a bunch of us get together to watch it during lunch on Friday.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-12-29, 8:54 AM #27
Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi:
My opinion of firefly: meh.

Yay, someone else that doesn't think it's the best thing since sliced bread!

>:D
nope.
2006-12-29, 9:11 AM #28
Your kind will be hunted down and destroyed. So hide your negative opinion if you value your life.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-12-29, 9:13 AM #29
Hey, it's not bad, it's just not amazing either.

[I mean I do own the entire series and the movie.]
nope.
2006-12-29, 9:53 AM #30
Originally posted by Baconfish:
it's just not amazing either.

See, that's where you're wrong.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2006-12-29, 10:54 AM #31
I got the series as a Christmas gift, too. I had borrowed it previously and really liked it. I liked that they had some sort of conclusion in the form of the movie, I would have been more disappointed if after the tv show, that was it. I like the cowboy theme :)
2006-12-29, 1:06 PM #32
My dad now owns the DVD set of the series and the movie (before Christmas). I liked it a lot, but I've really only seen them once through. I think it's one of those things I'd have to watch with another Firefly fan, or watch with someone who hasn't seen it and try and ring 'em in. So far, I haven't had any luck (though granted, I've only tried with one person so far).
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2006-12-29, 3:14 PM #33
The last 3 minutes of Ariel are amazing. The whole series is kick-***-fantastic, but there are moments like that sprinkled throughout that send a shiver down my spine.

It's a tremendously fantastic series.

BTW, one other trend you notice as you go thru the episodes is the increasing size of the special effects budget. Watch 'Trash' and compare it to the previous ones... it never aired on TV IIRC, but the effects and cinematography are technically superior to most of the others.
2006-12-30, 3:50 PM #34
That show had great character development. That's easily the best thing the show had going for it was that you came to care about the characters, and feel cheated that you'll never see them again. It was enough that you can ignore some of the cheesy stuff.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2006-12-30, 6:56 PM #35
Yeah, the characters were the best part. There's still so many secrets about Inara and Book that I want answered... :(
2006-12-30, 8:21 PM #36
Originally posted by Gebohq:
My dad now owns the DVD set of the series and the movie (before Christmas). I liked it a lot, but I've really only seen them once through. I think it's one of those things I'd have to watch with another Firefly fan, or watch with someone who hasn't seen it and try and ring 'em in. So far, I haven't had any luck (though granted, I've only tried with one person so far).

Keep trying! That's how I got into the series. I'd heard of it before, and wasn't too enthused by the premise. Then a friend of mine convinced me to sit my butt down and watch a few. After that, I was hooked. That's pretty well the only way it was going to happen, being introduced by somebody with the DVDs. The amount of stupid commercials out there has turned me away from TV watching for the most part.
2006-12-30, 8:29 PM #37
Quote:
I'd heard of it before, and wasn't too enthused by the premise.

Yeah. 'Space cowboys' sounded really stupid at first, but I came around.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2006-12-30, 8:44 PM #38
Oh I've already converted 1 family and about 4 or 5 other people to Firefly
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2006-12-30, 8:48 PM #39
Firefly has the greatest way of spreading by word of mouth. It absolutely tickled me pink when I was touring colleges last year and heard people describing episodes to other people as I walked by them.

That only happened twice, but still...

It's always neat though, to hear people discussing or enjoying things you enjoy.
2006-12-31, 5:16 PM #40
The people at my work are so into it, I catch them using the curse words from the show.

↑ Up to the top!