Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What Cultural Tribe Do You Belong To?
What Cultural Tribe Do You Belong To?
2004-07-09, 12:57 PM #1
Experts have divided the nation's youth (age 14-24) into nine "cultural tribes".
The groups are based on characteristics like the preferred style of music, clothes and hairstyles.

Bare in mind these tribes are british, but I'm sure America has similar ones:

Clubbers - In this group the boys wear Ben Sherman shirts and the girls tend to dress in turquoise and white. They listen to Basement Jaxx and Faithless.

[http://www.tiffanysnightclub.co.uk/images/photos/photo02.jpg]

Goths - Black is the order of the day. Pale faces are accented with black lipstick and nail varnish, for both boys and girls. Goth bands include The Cure, Marilyn Manson, and The Grateful Dead.

[http://www.goth.co.za/History/unity%20pics/unity3/durban%20goths.jpg]

Grungers - Converse trainers are favoured by this tribe along with ripped jeans and dreadlocked blonde hair. Nirvana are one of the most listened to bands of this group.

[http://www.intermusic.com/upload_images/NWS/mhr150-16-11-2000-001.gif]

Indie - Superficially similar to Grungers, this group tends to put its look together from charity shops - topped with floppy hair. Musical tastes are limited to the best bands no-one's ever heard of.

New-Metal - Band T-shirts and large numbers of piercings are worn. The music favoured is loud and angry - bands like Limp Bizkit and Blink 182.

[http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38697000/jpg/_38697769_guide_nu300.jpg]

Popular/Britney - Pink shoes, pink bags, pink phones and a host of other pink clothing is worn by this sub-section of teenagers. Britney Spears, Gareth Gates and Will Young are the preferred listening material.

Skaters - Huge trainers and even more baggy clothes mean this group is also somewhat similar to Grungers - but their skateboards are never far away from them, while Beastie Boys are on the Walkman.

[http://www.girlweb.ch/walb/gruppe7/mvc-009f.jpg]

Soulstrels/BlingBling - Lots of bling (large, obvious, shiny, metal objects - often mistaken for jewellery) worn, along with tight clothing and an ever-present mobile. R&B and soul music are preferred - although they will stomach some pop.

[http://shop.tonez.co.uk/images/fashion-shoot/bling-bling.jpg]

Townies/Chavvie/Pikey - Rap and R&B are the preferred music, with girls of this group resembling Soulstrels and the boys sporting designer tracksuits and hooded tops.

(This is the only image abvailable since they are such dangerous creatures)
[http://homepages.cs.ncl.ac.uk/william.stephenson/home.informal/espionpics/images/metrocharvers.jpeg]

D.i.s.c.u.s.s!!!

What tribe do u hail from?

I'd saying I'm a blend of Clubber and Grunger and Goth.

[This message has been edited by clan ruthervain (edited July 09, 2004).]
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-07-09, 1:07 PM #2
This is the best thread we've had in a long time, although I can't say I really fit into any of those.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-07-09, 1:07 PM #3
I'm more of the grunger/indie disposition, although I enjoy all music. I tend to shun society.
"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-07-09, 1:08 PM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evil_Tofu:
This is the best thread we've had in a long time, although I can't say I really fit into any of those.</font>

"When it's time for this planet to die, you'll understand that you know absolutely nothing." — Bugenhagen
2004-07-09, 1:09 PM #5
Grunge/new metal

------------------
http://www.sporkaudio.com
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2004-07-09, 1:12 PM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> [http://www.girlweb.ch/walb/gruppe7/mvc-009f.jpg] </font>

*cough* Posers. */uncough*

EDIT: [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

[This message has been edited by Master Tonberry (edited July 09, 2004).]
2004-07-09, 1:13 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">http://www.goth.co.za/History/unity%20pics/unity3/durban%20goths.jpg</font>

ROFL!!!! They think THAT is goth?! AAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!.........HA!

Also 80% of those anaolgies are all wrong. They all have problems. BLink 182 is not Nu-Metal and *barfs* yeah it just sucks.

------------------
I made a thread, that turned into the debate, so I made a second thread, that turned into a debate, then I made a third thread, that caught on fire, burned down, got flamed, crapped on, bashed, then turned into a debate...but the fourth one, the fourth one stayed on topic!

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited July 09, 2004).]
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-09, 1:13 PM #8
None of them.

------------------
What once was...
2004-07-09, 1:16 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:
ROFL!!!! They think THAT is goth?! AAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!.........HA!

Also 80% of those anaolgies are all wrong. They all have problems. BLink 182 is not Nu-Metal and *barfs* yeah it just sucks.
</font>

*marries Blink 182*
2004-07-09, 1:26 PM #10
A mix of them all.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-07-09, 1:28 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SAJN_Master:

</font>

Indeed. And those are called cultural groups, not cultural tribes, something else they got wrong. Blink 182 is pop punk.. far from metal.

Speaking of which, that's one of the most important groups out there and they left them out. Punks!

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!

[This message has been edited by Flexor (edited July 09, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Flexor (edited July 09, 2004).]
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-09, 1:30 PM #12
Everything but the Goth, Bling and Clubber

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-07-09, 1:34 PM #13
That only works for Brits, you insensitive *******.

------------------
Superstition brings bad luck.
-Raymond Smullyan, 5000B.C.
:master::master::master:
2004-07-09, 1:34 PM #14
I don't fit into any of those. My musical preferances are heavy loud System/Korn music, while my clothes are clean, well cut, and presentable. I have no piercings, tatoos, or "bling-bling". Can I be the tenth cultural tribe?
"I'm interested in the fact that the less secure a person is, the more likely it is for that person to have extreme prejudices." -Clint Eastwood
2004-07-09, 1:36 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by stat:
That only works for Brits, you insensitive *******.

</font>

ermm, no it doesn't. The band names they mention are still all wrong, and so are a great many things they say.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-09, 1:36 PM #16
HEAVY. ****ING. METAL.

[http://seb.geekvision.net/esp/Sketchy2.jpg]

------------------
Wake up, rise and shine, Gotta take another pint, Dig heads and watch out for the night.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-07-09, 1:44 PM #17
Wow.. I didnt know your tribe was dependent on the music you like O_o

Im just sort of... a nerd.

------------------
"Just remember -- No matter how bad things get, Northern Minnesota will always be there"
-- Garrison Keeler
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-07-09, 1:45 PM #18
Indie.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-09, 2:04 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Seb:
HEAVY. ****ING. METAL.

</font>

what he said

[insert my hair attacking the camera photo here]

if anyone has that photo please tell me i think it's on the other computer and i can't get to it

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-07-09, 2:22 PM #20
what about the neo-folk guys like me who are into Phish, Dave Matthews Band, and the like? Do we get no such stereotyping? Oh yeah, that's right. We're too good for that. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-07-09, 2:56 PM #21
Terrible generalizations. Someone didn't do their fake research. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-07-09, 3:06 PM #22
Wow you brits are messed up. Lol.. just kiddin' but these don't fit with American cultural groups, and I don't fit with A cultural group, Im one of the 'funnymen', I go from group to group, and like, can hang out with any of them, noone really dislikes me (except the jocks which I excessively make jokes aobut), I think this is the way to be.
My 2 and 1/2 cents.

------------------
Member of the Minnessassian Council
2004-07-09, 3:15 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sok Munkey:
I don't fit into any of those. My musical preferances are heavy loud System/Korn music, while my clothes are clean, well cut, and presentable. I have no piercings, tatoos, or "bling-bling". Can I be the tenth cultural tribe?</font>

Heh, That is exactly how I am.
Yeah they need a tenth group for the metal heads that really don't look the part. People ask me what kind of music I listen too, I say Metallica, Tool, ect. and they just don't believe me. I also look very out of place with my friends. They are all Goth, Grunge, or New Metal, wearing the clothes for the part, and I am just standing there in jeans and a plain t-shirt. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-09, 3:20 PM #24
I love the chavvie pic... do americans get this breed of people? they can be dangerous.

I wouldn't say its too insane, it seems to fit the majority of people you see on the street.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-07-09, 3:24 PM #25
I dont fit into any of these.

------------------
mir·ow ( V ) Pronunciation Key (meer-oh)
Someone or something that possesses unfathomable awesomeness
2004-07-09, 3:26 PM #26
they dont have a hot topic/tshirt hell shirt wearing crowd. thats a big one. i dont know how many people i know wear shirts with smartass text on them with jeans or khakis. apparently the hot topic shirt thing isnt as popular in britland... i dont fit in either.

[edit]haha typed something other than shirt the first time...[/edit]

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|My Portfolio|My Levels

[This message has been edited by Cazor (edited July 09, 2004).]
2004-07-09, 3:38 PM #27
I made a lengthly post, and hit Submit... then it decided to not post, and tell me that it could not load the page. Basically I said I didn't fit into any category, and I mentioned something about having impenetrable pants. Actually they were impenetrable, until the stain defender junk washed off. Now I'm vulnerable.

------------------
Note: The Signature feature is currently enabled by this bulletin board's administrator. You may use UBB Code in this field, but not HTML. The UBB Code Image tag is not permitted, however.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Alias (edited July 09, 2004).]
"I'm praying for mayhem, I'm praying for tidal waves, I wanna see the ground give way, I wanna watch it all go down..."
2004-07-09, 3:40 PM #28
How could you forget the neobuccaneer subculture? They wear bandanas, tricorn hats, fancy white shirts, frock coats, and listen to pirate music.

------------------
MadQuack has a signature.
I'm just a little boy.
2004-07-09, 3:42 PM #29
^^^Gaaar.... average joe's be the only place for steve!

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|My Portfolio|My Levels
2004-07-09, 3:55 PM #30
I am a ninja.

I'd say more, but ninja culture is too intricate to be explained.

[This message has been edited by money•bie (edited July 09, 2004).]
2004-07-09, 4:00 PM #31
We are bboys.

I'll post a pic soon if I can find one and if I feel like spending the effort to upload [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Sigs are for n00bs.

[1337 FRNDS_Pommy | 3.14 of 14 | » And-GTx2]
Half-Life 2 Central - your definitive source for everything HL2!
一个大西瓜
2004-07-09, 4:04 PM #32
Unfortunately, however wrong the names are, it's what people over here listen to / do / look like / etc.

And I'm none of those, thank Kak.

------------------
Wise men say that fools rush in where angels fear to tread, so look before you leap, so to speak, because the grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-07-09, 4:28 PM #33
What about us Amish, wait... I'm typing on a computer. OH NO! I'M NOT AMISH!!!

Really though, it was a VERY GENERAL generalization. Basically, there is no way that they could get every style or group, they were bound to miss a few (despite their obviousness)

I just want to point out that the skaters group is really funny. Some say that skaters only wear loose baggy pants. Other say skaters only wear tight womens pants (yes these are guys)

I found this thread to be very interesting indeed.

------------------
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
Sam: "Sir we can't call it 'The Enterprise'"
Jack: "Why not!"
2004-07-09, 4:33 PM #34
What "group" likes Jazz/Classical? It's none of those mentioned that's for sure.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-07-09, 5:11 PM #35
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sok Munkey:
I don't fit into any of those. My musical preferances are heavy loud System/Korn music, while my clothes are clean, well cut, and presentable. I have no piercings, tatoos, or "bling-bling". Can I be the tenth cultural tribe?</font>

That and what finity5 said are an exact description of me. Only Metallica and at the gates, instead of korn.
LONG LIVE THE 10TH TRIBE!

------------------
"Father to your hands I commend my spirirt. Father to your hands-Why have you forsaken me?"

[This message has been edited by UltimatePotato (edited July 09, 2004).]
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2004-07-09, 5:25 PM #36
Well... This is unusual. Maybe you all can help me out here. I don't fit a category, but damnit I need a label. Let's break it down.

I listen to Metallica, Led Zeppeling, AC/DC, and basically anything else that is similar to any of those bands.

I bleach and (sort of) spike my hair... It's more of the messy hair look than it is spiked.

I have 6 ear piercings. Equal numbers in each ear... All with plain silver jewlery in them.

All of the previous criteria probably has some of you saying I'm of a certain group, but here's where it starts getting unusual.

I wear emo glasses.

I wear almost entirely designer dress shirts that cost more than anyone should ever spend on a shirt, but they're damned comfy and the chicks dig 'em.

I wear pretty much nothing but jeans. Only ones that fit... They don't sag to my knees. And I pretty much only buy them at Aeropostale.

I generally wear plain black dress shoes every day.

As far as a coat goes, I wear nothing but classic looking leather coats.

And last but not least, as far as attitude goes, I do nearly everything in my power to piss off anyone I deem to be a "square."

Now, if you have any idea what that makes me, lets hear it. But I've always just said I'm an *sshole. Works for me.

------------------
I resent that.
>>untie shoes
2004-07-09, 7:17 PM #37
I guess by those definitions I'd be leaning toward indie with a hint of grunge.

------------------
I have a signature.
I have a signature.
2004-07-09, 7:55 PM #38
I'm indie but with the clubber clothes.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-07-09, 8:51 PM #39
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cazor:
apparently the hot topic shirt thing isnt as popular in britland...
</font>

Britland?
"I'm interested in the fact that the less secure a person is, the more likely it is for that person to have extreme prejudices." -Clint Eastwood
2004-07-09, 8:54 PM #40
Townies/Chavvie/Pikey/Soulstrel/Bling Bling ya dig

------------------
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone.- Bill Cosby
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone.- Bill Cosby

↑ Up to the top!