Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Emacs or Vi
Emacs or Vi
2007-01-01, 8:24 PM #1
Which do you prefer?

Personally, I like emacs, even though I also have Vi installed. I'm trying to learn the basics of Lisp (and eventually Perl) over break, and I have personally found the emacs environment to be more productive.

On a side note, what books would you recommend for someone who is trying to learn Perl? (I currently know nothing but I would like to get my hands dirty with some coding while I learn so something practical yet instructive would be nice)

Post!
2007-01-01, 8:33 PM #2
Well, we use emacs at school, and it seems to work pretty nicely.
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2007-01-01, 8:37 PM #3
I'll probably get flamed for this, but I usually use pico/nano.
2007-01-01, 8:45 PM #4
Visual Studio .NET 2005

OH YES I WENT THERE!
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-01-01, 8:56 PM #5
Originally posted by Aglar:
I'll probably get flamed for this, but I usually use pico/nano.

For the majority of my Unix needs, I don't need anything more than pico/nano. For small files, I don't need much beyond the bare minimum functions of editing and saving. For larger files, I prefer the Nedit GUI.

Visual Studio.NET is decent for C# (the only option really).
2007-01-01, 9:00 PM #6
Neither. In TTY, I use Pico or Nano. With a GUI I much prefer something functional like Kate.

On Windows, I use Notepad2 and Visual Studio 2005.

Oh, and VS isn't the only option for C#. SharpDevelop and MonoDevelop are also options. I think MonoDevelop is a fork of SharpDevelop.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-01-01, 9:08 PM #7
I am in love with Nano also, especially with syntax highlighting.

As for the GUI windows side of things, I find myself liking Adobe GoLive, just for its nice FTP interface and source editing.
2007-01-01, 9:15 PM #8
Nano for Configuration, but grunt work I try to use VI.

The only trick is remembering all the shortcuts.
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2007-01-01, 10:16 PM #9
ViM or stab yourself in the face
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-01-01, 10:32 PM #10
eMacs? Nano? Are we talking Apple products here?
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2007-01-01, 10:37 PM #11
No. Run while you still can.

I'm a vi man, but I've never tried emacs, so I don't actually know.

When I'm working in GUI it's kate all the way.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-01-01, 10:41 PM #12
Nano >> Pico, because it has search-and-replace. But my host has Pico. :argh:

For shell, I use pico/nano. For GUI, I use Notepad++ for things like PHP/Perl scripting.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-01-01, 10:53 PM #13
Other:
vim, not vi. Technicality, I know, but there's a big difference.
:master::master::master:
2007-01-01, 10:53 PM #14
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]

As for the GUI windows side of things, I find myself liking Adobe GoLive, just for its nice FTP interface and source editing.[/QUOTE]

Ever try Homesite? (Allaire used to own it back in the day, but Macromedia bought it out, ruined it, and eventually absorbed it into Dreamweaver, IIRC) The freeware original version of Homesite (v. 1.2) is still out there, try googling for it. Personally I swear by it for HTML coding even though it is about 10 years old. Bluefish is it's GNU equivalent-- I suspect that Bluefish tried to clone the Homesite interface because they are so similar.
2007-01-01, 11:35 PM #15
Ugh. How can you all use vi(m)? Five minutes with that program and all ready I was wanting to hurt kittens, dolphins, and people named Cool Matty.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-01-02, 12:29 AM #16
On the shell I use nano. With a GUI I use SciTE or sometimes Kate.
Sorry for the lousy German
2007-01-02, 4:51 AM #17
what about bluefish. it's the editplus of linux. i find the tabs at the bottom invaluable.
2007-01-02, 5:04 AM #18
For coding I do my best to find a real IDE, I don't code in the shell out of principle. For basic text editing I always used Pico because it's the most like Notepad and is simple to use.

In windows I use Notepad++ for html/css/javascipt because I can never be bothered to configure Aptana properly.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2007-01-02, 6:28 AM #19
Pico/nano defiantly. Just easier to use.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2007-01-02, 6:40 AM #20
Nobody really uses emacs or vi, they just say they do to sound like the cool kids.

Pico/Nano is much more functional but there is absolutely no replacement for a graphical text editor. Not even Xemacs.
2007-01-02, 9:09 AM #21
I use a version of vi all day long at work, gvim.

Get the book "Learning Perl" and skip the first chapter. (Trust me on that)
2007-01-02, 9:13 AM #22
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
Ugh. How can you all use vi(m)? Five minutes with that program and all ready I was wanting to hurt kittens, dolphins, and people named Cool Matty.

That's the best part about Vi!!

I use Vim, myself. At school, we have to use Sun machines to do our labs, and they pretty much are limited to text editors. The standard text editor used it emacs, which I loath with all my heart and soul.

The best part about Vi/Vim is that nothing makes sense! At all! Apparently this doesn't happen everywhere, but when I was learning how to use Vim at my last job, control+s would crash the program and the terminal I was using. It was so awesome. I habitually save, so control+s is a reflex for me whenever I type a period.... so lets just say I broke that habit fast, and lost a WHOLE lotta work.

Also, Page- I HIGHLY recommend the O'Reilly books. I taught myself perl, while on the job, fairly quickly. We had all six of his perl books online, which was AWESOME, but the three main ones were "Learning Perl" "Mastering Regular Expressions" and "Perl in a Nutshell."

the regexps one is optional, because most of that can be found via a google search, but the other two are exceptional.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-01-02, 9:14 AM #23
Brian's right. Skip the first chapter.

Don't ask, just do it.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-01-02, 9:15 AM #24
I use vi (well, nvi on FreeBSD, vim on Linux) for just about all of my text editing needs. I use kate or kedit on rare occasions. If I'm writing something in Matlab or Mathematica, I just use the built in text editor.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2007-01-02, 9:16 AM #25
Originally posted by happydud:
The best part about Vi/Vim is that nothing makes sense! At all! Apparently this doesn't happen everywhere, but when I was learning how to use Vim at my last job, control+s would crash the program and the terminal I was using. It was so awesome. I habitually save, so control+s is a reflex for me whenever I type a period.... so lets just say I broke that habit fast, and lost a WHOLE lotta work.

Or you could just press Ctrl-q to fix it.
2007-01-02, 10:08 AM #26
Wasn't there a listing of free O'Reilly books a while ago? There were several Perl books available, if I remember. I'll find it tomorrow.
Ban Jin!
2007-01-02, 10:46 AM #27
Originally posted by Brian:
Get the book "Learning Perl" and skip the first chapter. (Trust me on that)

Or skip the whole thing and learn a language that doesn't suck.
2007-01-02, 11:15 AM #28
Perl is good for the right job. I'll admit for this current project, I wish C++ had a perl-like interpreter esp. when it came to pattern matching. But using Perl for EVERYTHING is stilly, IMO.
2007-01-02, 11:34 AM #29
Originally posted by Emon:
Or skip the whole thing and learn a language that doesn't suck.

*yawn*
2007-01-02, 12:12 PM #30
nano for the console, Kwrite for small files, Kate for everything else.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2007-01-02, 12:23 PM #31
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
Perl is good for the right job. I'll admit for this current project, I wish C++ had a perl-like interpreter esp. when it came to pattern matching.

Well, usually there are regex functions in libc. Also, you could write parsers/interpreters using lex/yacc. The way I see it, if you have a large problem, you probably shouldn't solve it with regular expressions.
2007-01-02, 3:46 PM #32
*yawn*

You don't know the half of it.
2007-01-02, 8:11 PM #33
Originally posted by Emon:
You don't know the half of it.

I write perl code for a living. As with any language, it has its strengths and weaknesses. Anyone who downright dismisses anything out of hand with no real thought on the issue certainly deserves a yawn.
2007-01-02, 8:37 PM #34
Anyone who downright dismisses anything out of hand with no real thought on the issue certainly deserves a yawn.

It was half tongue-in-cheek, and certainly not without thought.
2007-01-02, 8:39 PM #35
I ran through the vi tutorial and used vim for a while. The shortcuts became second-nature after a while. I like it.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-01-02, 10:49 PM #36
O'Reilly books online

Hmm, looking at it, this may be illegal. :ninja:
Ban Jin!
2007-01-02, 11:10 PM #37
Page deleted.
Sounds like it was.

o.0
2007-01-03, 5:29 AM #38
There are people who write visual basic code for a living and think it's an awesome programming language. Doing something for a living doesn't necessarily mean you know what you're talking about.

You may know what you're talking about, but please don't use the fact that you get paid to do something as a reason for us to trust what you say.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2007-01-03, 10:12 AM #39
Originally posted by Detty:
There are people who write visual basic code for a living and think it's an awesome programming language. Doing something for a living doesn't necessarily mean you know what you're talking about.

You may know what you're talking about, but please don't use the fact that you get paid to do something as a reason for us to trust what you say.

I guess I'll type out what I was implying as well.

I write perl code for a living, therefore, I am familiar with the language and its strengths and weaknesses. As with any language, and I have used many, including pascal, c, c++, visual basic, java, and php, it has its strengths and weaknesses. Anyone who downright dismisses anything out of hand, which seems to be what you're doing, because you stated that it sucked and didn't provide any relevant details, with no real thought on the issue certainly deserves a yawn.

You'll notice that nowhere in any of my posts until now did I provide a value judgement on any language, including perl. Therefore, your assumption that I was trying to say "perl is good because I get paid to write it" is wrong.

And now for the real value statement:

I write perl for a living, and in general, I like the language. What I don't like is when people who have no software design experience hack a bunch of crud together and think it is the best. It's easy to get yourself into trouble with perl, especially if you don't know what you're doing from a design point of view. It's generally easier to write crappy code in perl than in other languages. But it's also easier to write concise, well-thought-out, clean code, if you know what you are doing. And as a side bonus, you can often do it with a lot less code. Plus, mod_perl rocks.
2007-01-03, 11:57 AM #40
What I don't like is when people who have no software design experience hack a bunch of crud together and think it is the best.

I'm not sure if that was aimed at me, but being a software engineering major at RIT, I don't have "no software design experience."

↑ Up to the top!