Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The GIMP is really starting to piss me off
The GIMP is really starting to piss me off
2007-01-03, 2:24 PM #1
So I'm at home and don't have photoshop here, and thus I'm stuck with The GIMP for all my image editing needs. Unfortunately it sucks. Sure, it has most of the functionality that Photoshop has, but it crashes every time I try to save a file. So now I've lost two things that I had been working on; several hours worth of work in total.

I guess I should ask; is there any way to stop this from happening? If if helps, the error message that it gets is

EDIT: that's actually the error message when you don't choose a folder to save it to. I'll see if I can recreate the other error.
Stuff
2007-01-03, 2:25 PM #2
Reinstall. GIMP seems to have tendancy to stop working for me when there is a new version out.
Pissed Off?
2007-01-03, 2:28 PM #3
I love the gimp, no problems yet.
2007-01-03, 2:47 PM #4
I HATE THE GIMP BURN IN HELL GIMP :argh:

I-I'm sure other people enjoy it though :(
2007-01-03, 2:49 PM #5
<|:(
2007-01-03, 2:50 PM #6
Well, what can you say, you get what you pay for.
I personaly love GIMP and use it even though I have photoshop.

Do you have the latest version?
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2007-01-03, 2:54 PM #7
i just hate it when someone picks a name that is so... unflattering for something. yeah, it may be an acronym, but gimp still carries the feeling of not being able to perform fully, or being hindered.

which reminds me. one of the big reasons i hate the band Hinder is because of the name. ****ing a. the guy's voice sucks too.
2007-01-03, 3:00 PM #8
I'm not... oh.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-01-03, 3:03 PM #9
Well, there you have it. Kirby approves, so it's okay. :P
Pissed Off?
2007-01-03, 3:21 PM #10
just installed 2.2.13
ive liked using the gimp when irfanview isn't enough
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2007-01-03, 4:12 PM #11
I can't stand the Gimp. I love the fact that Photoshop works in wine. (when it feels like it) The Gimp just feels dirty... like Paint Shop Pro. Bleh.
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2007-01-03, 4:16 PM #12
Yeah, I hate the freaking GIMP - oh wait, I can't draw.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2007-01-03, 4:19 PM #13
I installed the GIMP only once, when an auto-update in Photoshop crippled it. I had GIMP uninstalled an hour later after multiple crashes and reinstalls.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2007-01-03, 5:28 PM #14
The only thing about the GIMP that annoys me at the moment is that the 2.3 betas ONLY support saving to XCF. No other formats. I guess it's a beta thing...

2007-01-03, 9:16 PM #15
Weird, I never have any problems with it. Now, I don't generally do hours worth of work, I use it mainly for resizing images and attempting some elements for web sites. But I generally fail at graphics (not because of the program).

I'm guessing the Windows version is probably not as stable as the linux version.
2007-01-03, 11:39 PM #16
I like the Gimp. True, it's not in the same league as photoshop, but it's about on par with entry-level retail photo manipulation software, and the price is right. Krita has a lot of potential, too-- however its still a ways behind Gimp.

I got Photoshop Cs2 working in wine, but it's too unstable as to be worth the bother. I've heard that older versions of PS work great in wine, but unfortunately I have no way of testing that.
2007-01-03, 11:41 PM #17
Bring out the gimp.
>>untie shoes
2007-01-04, 12:14 AM #18
The gimp's sleeping.

But I agree with Brian.
Quote:
I'm guessing the Windows version is probably not as stable as the linux version.
Never had any stability problems with the program.
Sorry for the lousy German
2007-01-04, 9:35 AM #19
from my experience GIMP is alot more capable than people give it credit for.
Many times it requires a bit of inginuity rather than PS's method of "just slap a filter on it."

I have had it crash on my a few time but they have been few and far between and only when I've been working with multpile, large files.

PS does have a number of features that I wish GIMP had but those things I can live without.
but PS on the other hand lacks several key features that are things which I use almost every time I open GIMP.

btw- Kyle hasn't posted here again, did he find the problem?
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2007-01-04, 10:32 AM #20
Originally posted by djwguitarman:
from my experience GIMP is alot more capable than people give it credit for.
Many times it requires a bit of inginuity rather than PS's method of "just slap a filter on it."

I have had it crash on my a few time but they have been few and far between and only when I've been working with multpile, large files.

PS does have a number of features that I wish GIMP had but those things I can live without.
but PS on the other hand lacks several key features that are things which I use almost every time I open GIMP.

Um, the filters aren't Photoshop's strength, most people who know what they're doing use them vary sparingly. Photoshop is good because of its excellent user interface, fantastic workflow and brilliant drawing algorithms.

What features does PS lack that you need?
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2007-01-04, 11:23 AM #21
I found GIMP to be on the same level as Blender (though Blender's bloat is unbelievable - it shouldn't take 100% CPU to zoom in the God-damned camera) - for people who don't have the money for nice things like Photoshop or Maya (respectively), it's barely useable. For people who have used Photoshop or Maya, it's a piece of crap.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-01-04, 4:18 PM #22
I've always found GIMP sufficient for small photo adjustments and hobbyist "photoshopping." Admittedly, I find photoshop itself much slicker- and maybe easier t o get good results from- but considering it's free software, I think it's pretty awesome.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi

↑ Up to the top!