Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Time for disproving again, Massassi
Time for disproving again, Massassi
2007-01-07, 12:54 PM #1
I love seeing a magic trick, and then trying to figure it out. I'm not very good at it, however, because I don't have any experience there. I do know that we have some who are good at this sort of thing though, and I'd like to discuss magic tricks and the like, most notably about this one.

So...GO massassi! And if there's any other amazing magic tricks, feel free to post them.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2007-01-07, 1:04 PM #2
*cue spork*
2007-01-07, 1:05 PM #3
The audience is in on it. It's all camera tricks.
2007-01-07, 1:10 PM #4
Yep.
2007-01-07, 1:34 PM #5
Originally posted by Jon`C:
The audience is in on it. It's all camera tricks.

$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2007-01-07, 2:16 PM #6
I love that guys videos.
2007-01-07, 3:16 PM #7
I really don't think the audience's on it. At least, definetly not all of it. It probably has alot to do with the fish tank being somehow modified, too. Cool vid. The way he speaks Japanese and English at the same time is kind of creepy, though.
幻術
2007-01-07, 3:18 PM #8
creepy? It's awesome!
2007-01-07, 3:31 PM #9
Quote:
The way he speaks Japanese and English at the same time is kind of creepy, though.

Why? Lots of countries require school children to learn English, most especially of which, Japan.
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-01-07, 3:56 PM #10
Well, Japan is most likely the Asian country with the most Western-influenced culture. So it wouldn't be surprising that the Japanese people would be well aware of some English phrases.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-01-07, 8:39 PM #11
Originally posted by Koobie:
I really don't think the audience's on it. At least, definetly not all of it. It probably has alot to do with the fish tank being somehow modified, too. Cool vid. The way he speaks Japanese and English at the same time is kind of creepy, though.

The audience has to be in on it; since the tank is obviously see-through, people standing on the other side would get a clear look at what he's doing with the tank.
$do || ! $do ; try
2007-01-07, 10:36 PM #12
How does he do it? (Pause at 1 minute so he doesn't give it away!)
2007-01-08, 12:00 AM #13
Wow, nice trick. He should have stopped it when the card was still in the tank though, that part was (from a layman's perspective) truely impossible, whereas the most obvious explination for the hand through fishtank gives the assumption that it's some sort of trick tank. I think that really detracts from the overall effect, the most obvious explination should always be unbelievable.

Anywho, as to how he did it I'm not gonna be specific but I will say the following:
  • The audience is NOT in on it. Missdirection, people, it's what we magicians are all about
  • Stooge. At least one
  • Finding and removing from the deck a seemingly 'lost' card is not hard at all, especially if he's using what I think he is using
  • That trick cost a hell of a lot, and I'm guessing he couldnt do again without a few minutes alone with the fish tank first
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2007-01-08, 12:29 AM #14
You're not gonna be specific I'm assuming because you don't know the specifics?

1) the audience could conceivably still be in on it, especially if the entire purpose of this thing was the TV broadcast... that 'whole room' camera view kinda makes me doubt it was impromptu, or even supposed to be for the benefit of the crowd.
2)Ok :D
3)What do you think he's using?
4)Why did it cost a hell of a lot, and what makes you think he needs time with the fish tank? What do you think he did (in the first part with the card inside)?
2007-01-08, 2:47 AM #15
There are a bunch of different methods for card through window effects, of which this is all this is a glorified version. I couldnt tell you specifically which one he uses, but it sure is a good one.

1) Well sure, but it seems unnecessary. Obviously youd get much better reactions with an audience who wasnt in on it, and, thanks to good use of missdirection, I dont see why all the audience would have to be in on it.
3) Could be a stripper deck, could just be a finger break and well-timed pass. Actually the way he dribbles the cards back above the signed card is highly suggestive of holding a break.
4) Reset. You tell me how he did the second part with a standard fish tank.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2007-01-08, 5:42 AM #16
This is currently my favourite effect, it gets great reactions. If you can figure it out you're doing pretty well.

Actually I think the orignal creator of the trick performs it better than the guy who made it famous, link below.

http://www.elusionist.com/audio/Quarter_In_Soda_New_Med.wmv (9.5 mb)
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2007-01-08, 6:39 AM #17
Originally posted by Spork:
This is currently my favourite effect, it gets great reactions. If you can figure it out you're doing pretty well.

Actually I think the orignal creator of the trick performs it better than the guy who made it famous, link below.

http://www.elusionist.com/audio/Quarter_In_Soda_New_Med.wmv (9.5 mb)

My guess:

When he hits the can, he does some clever trickery to hide the coin in his right hand, keeping it there as he later holds the unopened can and shakes it for her. Since the coin is in the same hand as the can, when he shakes the can, he can make it sound like the coin is rattling inside when its really just hitting the outside of the can.

Then, with some fast hand motion, he places the coin inside when he opens the can. The rest is simple.
2007-01-08, 4:14 PM #18
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]My guess:

When he hits the can, he does some clever trickery to hide the coin in his right hand, keeping it there as he later holds the unopened can and shakes it for her. Since the coin is in the same hand as the can, when he shakes the can, he can make it sound like the coin is rattling inside when its really just hitting the outside of the can.

Then, with some fast hand motion, he places the coin inside when he opens the can. The rest is simple.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much. When he's shaking the can, the coin is under his finger on top held loosely, so it can rattle. Shaking it also causes it to foam up when opened, providing cover and distraction while opening it, which is when the coin is dropped inside the can.
$do || ! $do ; try
2007-01-08, 4:32 PM #19
That's still impressive, even if it is a trick... gotta have some really fast f***ing fingers. :eek:
DO NOT WANT.
2007-01-08, 5:12 PM #20
You can see him slip the coin in the can after he opens it, but I still have no idea how he hides the coin the whole time.
Think while it's still legal.
2007-01-08, 5:49 PM #21
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]You can see him slip the coin in the can after he opens it, but I still have no idea how he hides the coin the whole time.[/QUOTE]
That's simple slight-of-hand. As long as you're in front of him it looks clean.
$do || ! $do ; try
2007-01-09, 4:20 AM #22
Yeah close enough, I'll give it to you guys :P

There are a few points where the coin is in plain view but you just dont notice it because your attention is focused elsewhere, plus it's a shiny coin against a shiny surface. I love tricks like that where moves are made in clear view of the spectators who fail to realise it, they're so much fun to perform. It's truely alarming some of the stuff you can get away with.

Here's another great one this time from my favourite magician, Jay Sankey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRC49noqCTw

I'll be surprised if someone doesnt pick it apart straight away, but remember two things:
1) The camera is not missdirected, it's pointed at the cards the entire time which your eyes would not be
2) If you can figure out what is done good for you, if you can figure out when it's done I'll be impressed
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2007-01-09, 4:44 AM #23
Alright, as far as i can tell:

1) the card that is actually given to the person is a spare joker, that's pretty easy
2) The folding of the five is done when he's thumbing and spinning the deck, palmed in the left hand with the deck.
3) When he starts waving the folded joker (still the joker) his left arm is straight down his side, cupping the now folded five
4) the actual switch of the folded cards is done when he removes the paper clip, both the folded joker and clip are discarded in his pocket
$do || ! $do ; try
2007-01-10, 1:38 AM #24
Close enough... Well done :D

I just like it cos of when and how the final switch is performed, no missdirection required.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

↑ Up to the top!