Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Biology help?
Biology help?
2007-01-08, 7:56 PM #1
My friend needs some help and I am wondering if someone here can help him. It is related to biology and I finished that class a while ago so here is the question:

The recessive allele of a rabbit's fur color is brown while white fur is dominant. A male rabbit has white fur and his mate, the female rabbit, has brown fur. This male rabbit has two possible genotypes, how would you find out the genotype of this male rabbit?

Thank you.
Back again
2007-01-08, 8:03 PM #2
W is the dominant gene, while w is the recessive. A white rabbit can either be WW, or Ww, and still be white. A brown rabbit is always ww. If you mated the two, as shown below, their offspring will tell you the genotype of the male rabbit, as you know the genotype of the female MUST be ww.

For instance:
(Now with new and improved offspring genotypes)

Code:
 |W |W 
w|Ww|Ww
w|Ww|Ww

If none of the offspring are brown, he is dominant dominant.

Code:
 |W |w 
w|Ww|ww
w|Ww|ww

If 50% (Or any) of the offspring are brown, he's dominant recessive.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-01-08, 8:04 PM #3
He is either "AA" or "Aa". "A" being dominant (white) and "a" being recessive (brown).

To find out, Cross him with the brown female and see the offspring. If the offspring produces all whites he is AA, if the offspring produces 50% white, 50% brown he is Aa.

Edit: Damn you kirbs! you beat me to it! :argh:

Edit 2: I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts boom boom
2007-01-08, 8:13 PM #4
I added the offspring genotypes, and cleared up my language.

Your friend, if s/he's taking biology, should have learned this in class.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-01-08, 8:21 PM #5
Thank's for all the help.

I'm not to sure about my friend right now, trying to help him out as much as possible right now. He's going through a tough time.

Well thank you both of you. Much appreciated.
Back again
2007-01-08, 8:25 PM #6
Biology is one of the few things I can remember very clearly from school, so if you've got any more questions, shoot them at me.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ

↑ Up to the top!