Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → It's happening!
It's happening!
2007-01-11, 12:48 PM #1
Jedi Outcast is dying!

Jedi Outcast is dying! :(

It's already 5 years old and I don't see as many projects being done for it as just a year ago! Oh no! It's totally unplayable now, considering it is... old, and well.. old. :(

Yeah, I just realized that Jedi Outcast is 5 years old this year... and in 2002 JK was just 5 years old. Wow, time goes by!

Around those times we had more "IS JK DYING" & "JK IS DEAD" threads instead of "I just met a girl who had boobs OMG! I am Nerdus Popularis" or "I just checked the mirror and saw myself. I am Steven/Rob/Dj-Yoshi/Emon/SAJN/Maxwell Smart and MORE AWESOME THAN YOU ARE" kind of threads.

In other words, I felt the lack of a "JO is dying" thread this year was alarming, so I made one.

So I guess you could talk about gin vodka marmelade tomato spinach soups or how do you feel about Jedi Outcast.

My opinion? It was a neat game, not really better than JK (except technically), it never got whacky awesome Single Player levels like JK and MotS did... but I can still play it after five years.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-01-11, 12:49 PM #2
I never really got into JO or JA. Sure, they were fun for a while, but they just weren't JK.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2007-01-11, 12:51 PM #3
i'd play it again if it had JA's saber system
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2007-01-11, 12:51 PM #4
I started editing with JO and then to JA.

Come by the JO/JA editing forum if you need help...we are always be happy to see you...:(

Edit: I'm curious, how many people actually know how to edit JO/JA here? I know its a small number.

There are actually many wonderful maps made for JO/JA by mappers.. too bad its hidden under so much crappy crap.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-01-11, 12:52 PM #5
Contrary to many people I actually enjoyed the lightsaber system in JA, except for the random damage. Of course, JO's system was just wayyyy too stiff. I still liked it a lot at first though.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2007-01-11, 1:19 PM #6
Originally posted by Echoman:
I started editing with JO and then to JA.

Come by the JO/JA editing forum if you need help...we are always be happy to see you...:(

Edit: I'm curious, how many people actually know how to edit JO/JA here? I know its a small number.

There are actually many wonderful maps made for JO/JA by mappers.. too bad its hidden under so much crappy crap.

I do as long as it doesn't involve scripting. Not that I'm good at it. :P

Sigh, JO was fun until the multiplayer turned into a bloody chatroom.
nope.
2007-01-11, 2:16 PM #7
I'm still editing for JA. Echoman you're right, there are so many good maps and mods that I can name but they constitute about 5% of what's out there.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2007-01-11, 2:38 PM #8
Gin, vodka, marmelade, tomato, and spinach soup sounds disgusting.
2007-01-11, 2:56 PM #9
JO was my preferred combat in the series, and I still play nearly every weekend.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2007-01-11, 3:09 PM #10
I've only played the JO demo. The thing I remember most is that the enemies do everything faster. Wasn't really used to it.
2007-01-11, 3:14 PM #11
JO has by far the best gameplay and multiplayer of the series.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2007-01-11, 3:16 PM #12
Representing Old School JO mappers heeeeyurrr.

I've thought about getting back into it and actually producing releasing something that's not crap, but... it wouldn't get played, y'know. I've still thought about doing it in terms of pure artistic endeavour, but... ahh.
2007-01-11, 3:26 PM #13
I loved JO. I can still remember buying it right after school one day. It came with a fancy key chain thing which lit up and broke.

And then I played it for hours on end until I beat it before all of my friends did. And then I realized how much more menacing Jerec was compared to Barney the Dinosaur. And how dialogue like
“Such a bad fall, but you'll be glad to know, I found your lightsaber. Want it? Ahh, very distinctive...*crunch* Not so distinctive now is it?” is far better than “Jan is dead, all I have left is anger and revenge //_;”

It would be nice if they made another where you can kill Yuzon Vong or more dark Jedi.
My blawgh.
2007-01-11, 3:29 PM #14
Originally posted by saberopus:
Representing Old School JO mappers heeeeyurrr.

I've thought about getting back into it and actually producing releasing something that's not crap, but... it wouldn't get played, y'know. I've still thought about doing it in terms of pure artistic endeavour, but... ahh.

I order you to go back. I order you.
2007-01-11, 9:28 PM #15
I just played through the single player again and it was pretty fun. It really captured the complete bad-***-ness of wielding a lightsaber.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-01-11, 9:34 PM #16
I like JO much better than JK. JK gets really boring around level 14. JO keeps me riveted all the way through.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-01-11, 9:42 PM #17
JO is the only game that I have ever actually edited for.
一个大西瓜
2007-01-11, 9:44 PM #18
I played JO and JA through the campaign, but not much more. I started editing them, but quit after a few months. I don't even have them installed anymore, but I still play JK every now and then.
2007-01-11, 9:58 PM #19
We stopped having "Is JK dying?" threads because JK died.
2007-01-11, 11:42 PM #20
I thought JO died long ago. I didn't like the story (When did dinosaurs learn the force?) but it was great seeing Lando again. Never liked MP.
2007-01-12, 12:01 AM #21
*nickel*
2007-01-12, 12:14 AM #22
I miss Hydroball.
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2007-01-12, 1:42 AM #23
I've never played it, or even seen it for sale anywhere:( Same with Jedi Academy
2007-01-12, 8:00 AM #24
JO can never die, because it never lived.

JO was nothing but a disappointment for JK fans. It did everything wrong, and was a giant leap backwards in modability.
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-01-12, 8:03 AM #25
Except it had far superior multiplayer, anyone who disagrees is wrong.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2007-01-12, 8:05 AM #26
JO OWNED! But I loved editing for JA. Mapping is really fun with the quake engine. Easy to make cool stuff....
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2007-01-12, 9:09 AM #27
I Loved JK and JO single player, I loved how easy it was to mod JK, and I loved JK multi player. But I got into JK late in the scene and didn't have as great of an experience as I did in JO. I joined a JO clan and had so much fun with them. It was really great because we would all hang out, chat, and dual. It was another existence. I always get so nostalgic thinking about the amazing experience I had with Jedi Unleashed. The saber combat was incredible as well. After nearly a year, I just started getting bored with it. Good times, man. :)
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2007-01-12, 10:05 AM #28
JA Mapping was awesome.

[http://oscura.krath.org/jamap/shot0012.jpg]
[http://oscura.krath.org/jamap/shot0013.jpg]
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2007-01-12, 10:53 AM #29
Yes it was.

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/Echoness101/BALLZ1_l.jpg]

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/Echoness101/shot0062.jpg]
2007-01-12, 11:33 AM #30
JO has been dead for a while, like 3 years. It died because:

1) A lack of a modding community to bring some quality to SP that the JO SP lacked. There were some big mods that tried but either collapsed or slowly dragged on for years without significant progress (i.e., DF mod).

2) JA was released not to long after JO and divided the community.

As far as my impression of JO goes:

MP: As Detty said, it was quite enjoyable. FF Guns/Sabers CTF was a lot of fun. The maps had just the right size and facilitated quick combat. Everything felt right. The arcade-esque atmosphere of JO was an advantage in MP.

SP: Lame. There are too many issue to count.

• Mediocre story: you can only do the power enrapture thing once, it had been done in JK.
  • The architecture was unimpressive. The mystery and awe of JK/MotS SP levels was gone. Level design seemed random with lots of meaningless corridors and areas that didn't necessarily have a relevant fit into the setting (see Cloud City). They f***ed Nar Shaadaa (sp?).
  • I had appreciated JK/MotS for bringing a new realm of characters and places of the Star Wars universe; JO was built on movie references.
  • JK/MotS was dark and romantic; JO was a colorful Q3 mod. The former's SP felt more like an experience than a game.

JO and JA ended my Star Wars gaming. Non-SW games don't rely on a cultural phenomena to sell; they have to have quality and appeal. I only ever bought the JK series games. I don't know when I will touch another LEC-affiliated product, although I hear KOTOR was worthwhile.
2007-01-12, 11:56 AM #31
I liked JO a lot.
>>untie shoes
2007-01-12, 4:48 PM #32
I never beat JO. But I was also 11 last time I tried it and wasn't in my "MUST BEAT GAME!" mindset.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2007-01-12, 6:08 PM #33
KoTOR was akin to JK in that it built its own universe with minimal movie references to appeal to the non-diehard star wars fan.

↑ Up to the top!