Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → House passes bill to raise minimum wage but....
House passes bill to raise minimum wage but....
2007-01-12, 10:34 AM #1
The bill raises the wage to $7.25 but exempts Nancy's home district.

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20070112-120720-2734r.htm

Thank you, Nancy, for proving me right when I say you are a deceptive, power-hungry *****.
2007-01-12, 10:45 AM #2
Wow, what a dishonest *****. You'd think she'd wait a little while to work this kind of unspeakable evil. Just a week after she takes the post? She's either a moron or an incredible hypocrite. Probably a little from column A and a little from column B. I say we drop her like a sack of wet potatoes.

In other news, this kind of screws over all the people who currently make $7.25/hr. ;)

By the way, I'd be a lot more impressed if Democrats stood up to this hypocrisy. They need to call her out on this.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-01-12, 10:55 AM #3
[QUOTE=IRG SithLord]The bill raises the wage to $7.25 but exempts Nancy's home district.

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20070112-120720-2734r.htm

Thank you, Nancy, for proving me right when I say you are a deceptive, power-hungry *****.[/QUOTE]
Maybe they should have read the legislastion before they voted. :v:
2007-01-12, 10:57 AM #4
Maybe they figured the legislation wouldn't be riddled with assinine exemptions. How complex is a federal minimum wage increase? Not very, unless you're Nancy Pelosi, apparently.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-01-12, 10:58 AM #5
Complex enough not to read it beforehand I guess.

EDIT: http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/americanSamoa/ASminwage.htm
The minimum wage there is set by the Department of Labor, American Samoa doesn't follow any Federal employment standards.
2007-01-12, 11:11 AM #6
Wowsers. Definitely fishy, considering the indirect associations to Pelosi that they brought up.
2007-01-12, 11:42 AM #7
The minimum wage in California is $6.75 and going up past $7.25 anyway by state law. SF has a city mandated minimum wage of at least $8.00. The fussing in dumb and pointless.
Pissed Off?
2007-01-12, 12:12 PM #8
Nancy has made several promises regarding how the House will be run and has thus far broken a bunch of them.
2007-01-12, 12:44 PM #9
Meh, it doesn't matter who gets elected, every candidate is a power hungry, money-grubbing, lying piece of crap.
2007-01-12, 12:46 PM #10
Darn it! :argh: Stupid suck-up politicians. I hope they die from... toe cancer.

President Bush even says he won't veto it. Some conservative he turned out to be.
2007-01-12, 1:00 PM #11
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
President Bush even says he won't veto it. Some conservative he turned out to be.

He's never been a real conservative.
2007-01-12, 2:14 PM #12
Originally posted by Brian:
Meh, it doesn't matter who gets elected, every candidate is a power hungry, money-grubbing, lying piece of crap.

On behalf of all the power hungry, money-grubbing, lying pieces of crap in the world, we take offense to you lumping us together with politicians. That is all.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2007-01-12, 2:19 PM #13
Originally posted by Brian:
He's never been a real conservative.

Indeed. He is a liberal in comparison to real fiscal conservatives (a very large silenced group out there that includes a lot of people, like me). Unfortunately, social conservatives have pushed fiscal conservatives aside in Bush's elections. His administration pushed out the fiscal responsibility that is supposed to be associated with Republicans. Where is the choice of politicians between big government and small government on the federal level?
2007-01-12, 2:23 PM #14
Originally posted by Avenger:
The minimum wage in California is $6.75 and going up past $7.25 anyway by state law. SF has a city mandated minimum wage of at least $8.00. The fussing in dumb and pointless.

For emphasis.
Pissed Off?
2007-01-12, 3:15 PM #15
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Darn it! :argh: Stupid suck-up politicians. I hope they die from... toe cancer.

Anyone who ever thought he was actually conservative doesn't follow government very much.
D E A T H
2007-01-12, 3:16 PM #16
For Avenger since it didn't come clear the first time:

Thats not the point!
2007-01-12, 3:32 PM #17
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Anyone who ever thought he was actually conservative doesn't follow government very much.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know, I'm talking about what everyone thought from before 2000. Not just this one thing.
2007-01-12, 3:34 PM #18
and when is this supposed to take effect?

totally blows ohios raise of minimum wage from 5.15 to 6.85 irrelevant.

but when will they raise minimum wage for servers? here in ohio its like 3.60 for servers with individual tips, and 4.50 for shared tips(which is when all the tips for the shift get put in a bucket then divvied up equally between the servers at the end of the shift. not many places do this.)

servers get shafted, and food service is the only thing some people can get jobs doing. they have the most flexible hours for kids in school(be it high school or university.) and hell someones gotta do it!

know what i mean?
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2007-01-12, 4:22 PM #19
[QUOTE=IRG SithLord]For Avenger since it didn't come clear the first time:

Thats not the point![/QUOTE]

I know what the point is, and actually, the exemption is for a US territory, not part of California.
Pissed Off?
2007-01-12, 4:33 PM #20
Originally posted by Ford:
and when is this supposed to take effect?

totally blows ohios raise of minimum wage from 5.15 to 6.85 irrelevant.

but when will they raise minimum wage for servers? here in ohio its like 3.60 for servers with individual tips, and 4.50 for shared tips(which is when all the tips for the shift get put in a bucket then divvied up equally between the servers at the end of the shift. not many places do this.)

servers get shafted, and food service is the only thing some people can get jobs doing. they have the most flexible hours for kids in school(be it high school or university.) and hell someones gotta do it!

know what i mean?

Server = waiter, or am I thinking of something else?

Waiters/waitresses can make some serious cash..depends on where you're working, I guess..
woot!
2007-01-12, 4:42 PM #21
Waiters. In some states, waiters/servers get paid less than minimum wage because they claim that tips makes up for the difference. I think that's bull**** myself because tips don't come from the employer.
Pissed Off?
2007-01-12, 4:50 PM #22
Originally posted by tofu:
EDIT: http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/americanSamoa/ASminwage.htm
The minimum wage there is set by the Department of Labor, American Samoa doesn't follow any Federal employment standards.

If Avenger can do it I can do it too.
2007-01-12, 5:15 PM #23
Which is further proof that all politicians are morons.
Pissed Off?
2007-01-12, 5:33 PM #24
Waiters. In some states, waiters/servers get paid less than minimum wage because they claim that tips makes up for the difference. I think that's bull**** myself because tips don't come from the employer.

exactly. some days/weeks you could be rolling in cash, others you could be living on only the less than minimum wage plus very little else.

when and where you work are very important in that industry.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2007-01-12, 6:42 PM #25
[QUOTE=IRG SithLord]For Avenger since it didn't come clear the first time:
Thats not the point![/QUOTE]
What is the point? tofu already pointed out that American Samoa's minimum wage is determined by the Department of Labor and wouldn't have been affected by the bill anyway.

This seems like a made-up controversy. Am I missing something?
2007-01-12, 6:56 PM #26

Also, some people don't tip because they mistakenly believe that waiters are paid minimum or better by default and that tips are just extra. (the "waiter-already-gets-paid-to-bring-my-food" rationale.)

The government then has the audacity to tax tips, as well.
2007-01-12, 7:49 PM #27
I'm under the impression that, if the wage paid plus the tips earned do not equal minimum wage, the restaurant has to make up the difference. Thus, tips are taxable income.

That said, I feel no compuncture against leaving no tip if the waitress/waiter is terrible at their job - a recent example would be when, during a two-hour visit to Steak 'n' Shake, we saw our waitress all of three times - once to take our order, once for refills, and once to bring our food out to us. She spent the rest of the time cleaning the area around us and doing a pretty damn good job of avoiding our attempts to flag her down (which included one of us waving their arms quite a bit).

However, her shift ended about twenty minutes before we left, and the waitress who took over for her was much more attentive; thus, she received a 30% tip.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-01-12, 8:32 PM #28
Haha I just read the title of thread. Someone posted before they read the article. :v:

↑ Up to the top!