Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Opera + Gmail == Baby Carriage
Opera + Gmail == Baby Carriage
2004-07-12, 5:51 AM #1
For everyone who has been having issues with getting Opera and Gmail to play nicely [and for what it's worth it is very definitely an issue on the Gmail end], there is now a way to avoid the braindeadness and force it to work:

http://www.scss.com.au/family/andrew/o7/gmail/

It requires proxomitron, but honestly, proxomitron is such an awesome program you should be using it already anyways.

Enjoy [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"That's why we had to beat you with tennis rackets".
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-07-12, 6:33 AM #2
Pfft, who uses web-based mail anyway?

------------------
Please send me e-mail...
2004-07-12, 7:40 AM #3
well I'd say thanks, except that for the last half an hour opera's just been displaying that little red 'loading' box, completely failing to actually load the damn page. so I give up.

------------------
/end boob rant
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2004-07-12, 7:41 AM #4
ooh, we can say damn now? when did that happen?

------------------
/end boob rant
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2004-07-12, 7:46 AM #5
It's about damn time!

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-12, 7:58 AM #6
That happened a long time ago. read these baords more often, Damn it! Anyway, what is proxomitron?

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²[/i]
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-07-12, 8:18 AM #7
You equation returns false.

------------------
Juztyn
Taking credit for: Canyon Stream, Higher Ground, The Space Between, Death's Dome (mlp3), bits of JKRPG, and the entire Showcase forum, damnit!... Visit SWGalaxies.net for the latest Star Wars: Galaxies information!
I beat the internet. The last guy was hard.
2004-07-12, 9:13 AM #8
Page loads pretty instantly for me..

And Proxomitron is an outstanding Proxy program, lets you dynamically filter incoming and outgoing content basically, lot of ad-removal applications and such, but much more variable if you wish.

And not everybody reads the Opera forums frequently, so i figured it would be good to post it here as maeve at least had asked about it a while back.

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
2004-07-12, 10:50 AM #9
If anything, this is yet another perfect example of why Opera is crap compared to Firefox. Opera has nothing over Firefox, never did.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-07-12, 11:51 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cool Matty:
If anything, this is yet another perfect example of why Opera is crap compared to Firefox. Opera has nothing over Firefox, never did.

</font>

mmm, George Lucas's new stroke of genious....

Browser Wars

*cue John Willams

------------------
yay for not posting much ever
yay for not posting much ever
2004-07-12, 11:54 AM #11
No, it's very clearly an issue on the Gmail end, it's using some wonky xmlhttprequest protocol which Firefox emulates in a rather highly expiramental and not-really-compliant fashion.

Google has never been terribly up to speed with w3 and related things.

And what part of a way to get Gmail to work in Opera makes Opera 'crap' as you so eloquently put it?

With Firefox, i have to download several extensions and spend a fair while configuring them to approahc the level of functionality and useability that Opera gives me right out of the box so to speak. Yes Opera has hella features, but in fact i use almost all of them, so having to get addons for various things seems unnecessary.

Using FireFox for the same level of high-load browsing [20-30+ tabs] even with the TabExtensions and MouseGestures addon is much more tedious and awkward for me than Opera ever has been, and i haven't noticed a significant performance increase in Firefox under those circumstances, as everyone seems to boast.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dormouse (edited July 12, 2004).]
2004-07-12, 12:00 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dormouse:
No, it's very clearly an issue on the Gmail end, it's using some wonky xmlhttprequest protocol which Firefox emulates in a rather highly expiramental and not-really-compliant fashion.

Google has never been terribly up to speed with w3 and related things.

And what part of a way to get Gmail to work in Opera makes Opera 'crap' as you so eloquently put it?

With Firefox, i have to download several extensions and spend a fair while configuring them to approahc the level of functionality and useability that Opera gives me right out of the box so to speak. Yes Opera has hella features, but in fact i use almost all of them, so having to get addons for various things seems unnecessary.

</font>

Less compatibility, it isn't free, and there isn't any features Firefox doesn't have extensions for.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-07-12, 12:08 PM #13
Why should i have to download a browser /and/ addons, when i can download a browser that does everything i need it to already with minimal configuration?

And Opera /is/ free, with a minimal ad-banner or google-style text ads like in Gmail i guess. Firefox's big friendly back/forward buttons take up almost as much space as the banner does.

As to compatibility, it's an issue of standards. Opera is very purposefully tight with w3, and so sometimes admittedly can be a bit unforgiving of sloppy and noncompliant coding..

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dormouse (edited July 12, 2004).]
2004-07-12, 4:05 PM #14
You can change the sizes of the icons, like in any other browser.

The main reason I don't use Opera very often is because of the banner. It just seems obtrusive, especially when one of the main goals of many websites I visit is to not have to use banner ads.
2004-07-12, 4:15 PM #15
Dor, I dont se Opera because I dont like it. I dont like the feel of it, I dont like the rendering engine, I dont like anything about it.

Firefox has issues too, but I can live with them. Opera, on the other hand, for me, is completely unusable.

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-07-12, 4:23 PM #16
Yeah, GBK's right... Opera just feels wrong.

------------------
Please send me e-mail...

[This message has been edited by Mystic0 (edited July 12, 2004).]
2004-07-12, 4:46 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
Dor, I dont se Opera because I dont like it. I dont like the feel of it, I dont like the rendering engine, I dont like anything about it.

Firefox has issues too, but I can live with them. Opera, on the other hand, for me, is completely unusable.

</font>

Well, that's different. You're not saying Opera is crap, you're just saying that you personally don't like it. For me, its tottally opposite. i tried Firefox once before nad hated it. Can't tell you why, its a nice browser and all, i jsut don't like it. however, Dor is agrguing with CM because CM is talking about its features and such being bad, not that he personally dislikes it setup.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
"I'm a Cannabal-Vegitarian. I will BBQ an employee if there is no veggie option"
-DX:IW
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²[/i]
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2004-07-12, 5:06 PM #18
I think Opera is crap because it comes too bloated. Some people MAY use those features, but what's a five second download of an extension that'll give you the same exact thing? Besides that, I like having a nice, clean browser.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-12, 5:36 PM #19
I like Opera, it's always able to do things I want it to do. Plus Opera IRC is great (a lot better than ChatZilla).
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side

↑ Up to the top!