Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Haha, EB Games Comic
Haha, EB Games Comic
2007-01-15, 10:09 AM #1
http://www.sheezyart.com/view/948387/

Saw it on digg...

(Minor language warning...)
2007-01-15, 10:16 AM #2
I get a strange sense of enjoyment at ruining kids days when they try to buy GTA at Best Buy. Especially if their mom is there and I tell them just how horribly bad the game is for their 6 year old.

Not so much fun when they say "Yeah I know". >.>
2007-01-15, 11:20 AM #3
oh god sheezyart :///
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2007-01-15, 11:22 AM #4
I wonder if the girl will act like that when I get my copy of Burning Crusades tomorrow. If she chomps on my copy, I'll kiss her.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2007-01-15, 12:47 PM #5
Wow what a horrible, annoying website that was. I couldn't even read the comic because the other text overlapped it. :/
DO NOT WANT.
2007-01-15, 12:48 PM #6
That might be your crappy browser.
2007-01-15, 12:52 PM #7
actualy I got the law clarified in the UK supermarket I work in and we were told if you hear a kid getting his mum/dad/brother to buy an age restricted game/dvd/cd we can refuse them.

I enjoyed it soo much bwahahahahahahahaha
2007-01-15, 1:01 PM #8
Originally posted by Jep:
That might be your crappy browser.

Firefox, really? I doubt that.
DO NOT WANT.
2007-01-15, 1:10 PM #9
I'm on firefox and don't have a problem. Maybe its just because it hates you.
2007-01-15, 1:12 PM #10
Doesn't screw up in mine either.
2007-01-15, 2:31 PM #11
Originally posted by The_Reafis:
actualy I got the law clarified in the UK supermarket I work in and we were told if you hear a kid getting his mum/dad/brother to buy an age restricted game/dvd/cd we can refuse them.

I enjoyed it soo much bwahahahahahahahaha

Pretty stupid in my opinion. Because there are people like ME whose parents ARE aware of what they're buying. And we get the *** end of it in this case.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2007-01-15, 3:45 PM #12
I can actually relate to that comic, I worked at an EB for 2 years...

Parents come on in, grab the game their child wants and even after explaining whats in it and why it's rated M, they still buy it.

The best part? They come back in a day later and want to return it because it has content we TOLD THEM was in the game and was unsuitable for their child.

my favorite story OF ALL TIME...

THis mother wanted to get her son a game for X-mas and didn't know what he liked or what a kids game was. So she browesed the X-box games for a while and we went over, asked if she wanted some help, recomended some good kids's games and let her decide on what she wanted.

So, after a while she comes up to the conter with her game. It was the new Conker game, she decided on it because it had a cute squirrel on the cover. We were entertained, but decided to help her out, TOLD her that it was rated M for violence, sex, drug use, weapons, blood and all this stuff and she was hell bent and determined to get this game for the cute squirrel.

Best thing is, ON THE BOX the cute squirrel is decked out in army gear, holding an assault rifle and smoking a cigar with a giant label "THIS GAME NOT FOR ANYONE UNDER 17 YEARS OF AGE!!!!!" She still decided to get it.

THEN, a few days after X-mas, she came in mad as hell and wanted to return the game because it had swearing, violence and all that fun stuff that she didn't want her kid to see or hear... my manager wanted to slap her... She wound up buying spyro or something and left and we never saw her again.

Stupid parents.
The Gas Station
2007-01-15, 8:25 PM #13
Off subject, but...

Grant, would you recommend working at EB? I'm very interested in working there for around half a year, but I heard they keep you real busy, doing mostly inventory and stocking. Is it worth it, besides the said annoying parents?
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2007-01-16, 1:30 PM #14
Originally posted by Whelly:
Off subject, but...

Grant, would you recommend working at EB? I'm very interested in working there for around half a year, but I heard they keep you real busy, doing mostly inventory and stocking. Is it worth it, besides the said annoying parents?

I liked it, but the store I was at went to hell after my old manager left and a new one took over, I pretty much had the best manager ever (she got promoted to head office), we played the systems when the store was empty, tossed a firsbee around the store and had lots of fun working there, you get to talk about games all day...

I donno, I enjoyed it, you stock the shelves, have to take the discs out and put them behind the counter etc etc, it CAN be busy sometimes (the burning crusade launch would have been super busy) but definetly a fun place to work, at least try it if you want to, if you enjoy games and play them alot, go for it.
The Gas Station
2007-01-16, 2:04 PM #15
I work in the box office of a movie theater, so it's me that gets in trouble when an under-17 gets an R ticket. I'm normally pretty easy on the cool ones, even up to hooking them up with an adult that will go in as their "parent," but nothing satisfies me more than denying service to a whole group of douchey 16-year-olds and making their douchey parents drive back to the theater to see their douchey movie with them.
2007-01-16, 2:05 PM #16
Teehee, Roach [kinda] censored Brian.
2007-01-16, 2:19 PM #17
Why do you people all assume that buying a child an explicit game is wrong? If anything a game that is crazy and violent will help them define the line between reality and the virtual world of the game. As long as you're not too lazy a parent theres not much of a real problem.
Aquapark - Untitled JK Arena Level - Prism CTF
2007-01-16, 2:29 PM #18
Uhm, because most really young kids can be seriously mentally screwed up by seeing such things?
2007-01-16, 2:49 PM #19
Thats a myth. What people do you know who have been mentally screwed up by videogames? If anything kids will get mentally screwed up by the cultural hypocrisies of that kind of bull****. Hundreds of thousands of innocent people are killed in US wars and four thousand children starve to death every day while we ***** about violence and killing in the virtual world.
2007-01-16, 2:54 PM #20
My nephew has been playing M rated games and such since like age 6. He is the most screwed up child ever. Theres absolutely no reason to give small children the ability to violently explode other peoples faces off.

Also, your that guy who made the RastaMon account and spammed a bunch of threads for no reason. Thus, noone respects your opinion anyway.

o.0
2007-01-16, 2:54 PM #21
If you can revoke that on a whim, then I hereby say YOU'RE a myth! :psyduck:

Seriously, provide statistics and studies and we'll talk.

2007-01-16, 3:13 PM #22
Originally posted by Zojombize:
Why do you people all assume that buying a child an explicit game is wrong? If anything a game that is crazy and violent will help them define the line between reality and the virtual world of the game. As long as you're not too lazy a parent theres not much of a real problem.

Six year olds don't have the maturity to handle stuff like that. It'd be like taking him to see a horror movie, though probably not quite as bad.
2007-01-16, 3:14 PM #23
Greenboy: How is your nephew screwed up?

The Mega-ZZTer: Well, the burden of proof is really on you in this case but the studies on videogame violence I found with google either contradict one and another or are inconclusive. My main problem with this issue is that people jump to scapegoat violence that isn't real over that which is. Some people tried to blame videogames for the violence at columbine and ignored the fact that the majority of the students parents at columbine worked at lockheed martin making actual weapons.
2007-01-16, 3:17 PM #24
Originally posted by Greenboy:
Also, your that guy who made the RastaMon account and spammed a bunch of threads for no reason. Thus, noone respects your opinion anyway.

Nice attempt at trying to discredit me through totally unrelated matters. The RastaMon account banned for making lighthearted jokes was made by my brother who you guys might know as pugler.
2007-01-16, 3:21 PM #25
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Six year olds don't have the maturity to handle stuff like that. It'd be like taking him to see a horror movie, though probably not quite as bad.

My friends little sisters came with us to the drive in theater to see plenty of R rated movies when they were around 4 and 6 years old and they're fine. Blaming the media for a child development is just a scapegoat for bad parenting.
2007-01-16, 3:31 PM #26
I think the answer might lie more to the middle of the road. It may not be good to introduce explicitly violent media to children at certain ages... Of course there's no magic number, it depends on how they've been raised, and what they're capable of handling. There should be no doubt that violent media has absolutely no adverse effect on some children, but that it could have an effect on those who aren't capable of interpreting or understanding it, etc.

It's something probably best left to parents? I'm not putting too much thought into this, just a tiny smidgen of common sense.
2007-01-16, 3:37 PM #27
saberopus is right. Saying "children shouldn't be exposed to violent media" or "violent media doesn't affect kids; show it to them" is pointless, because the decision is the parent's no matter what you or anyone else thinks. So if the parent is just going to do what he or she thinks is right, your opinion will change nothing.

It's like arguing about abortion. It's pointless since its a highly-subjective personal decision.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-01-16, 4:02 PM #28
Yeah, I agree saberopus' response is pretty level headed.

↑ Up to the top!