Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Pan's Labyrinth
Pan's Labyrinth
2007-01-22, 10:15 PM #1
Anyone else see this film? I thought it was pretty damn good although theres probably less fantasy elements than one would expect.

Heres the trailer:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/picturehouse/panslabyrinth/trailer/
Aquapark - Untitled JK Arena Level - Prism CTF
2007-01-22, 10:50 PM #2
I thought it was excellent.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2007-01-22, 11:02 PM #3
I want to see it, but it's not playing anywhere near here. :(
2007-01-22, 11:08 PM #4
Yeah there was a huge line at the theater I went to and it was only the 4:30pm showing. Apparently it was the only print in the entire state.
2007-01-22, 11:22 PM #5
I hear it kicks ***.
>>untie shoes
2007-01-22, 11:34 PM #6
As do I.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2007-01-22, 11:48 PM #7
Originally posted by SiliconC:
I want to see it, but it's not playing anywhere near here. :(

Ditto. I'm hoping it comes to a local theatre soon.
2007-01-23, 3:29 AM #8
I'm going to see it tonight. We have 2-3 theatres playing it in my city.
2007-01-23, 3:57 AM #9
Damn. That looks really good but the cinema in town isn't playing it, just the one I used to go to when I lived at home :(
2007-01-23, 6:27 AM #10
My girlfriend heard it was good, so we were thinking about seeing it. She watched the trailer and quickly decided not to (see it).

I didn't care either way.
2007-01-23, 7:37 AM #11
It was excellent! The CGI and the Spanish...I loved it! One thing I did not expect was the level violence. Of course, I'm also the one that didn't know the movie was in Spanish. >_>

That one monster thing creeped me out. I don't know if this really should have been in a spoiler, but oh well!
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2007-01-23, 7:50 AM #12
the movie did a good job of warning you of violence. i barried my head in my boyfirends chest and didnt watch a bit of it. he said "do you want to go?", and i was like, "no, the story is too good". in the end we were argueing over weathre the magic was real. i would say it's a good move.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2007-01-23, 8:33 AM #13
I wouldn't mind seeing it, looks pretty funky. Saw The Prestige last night and it was friggin awesome.
2007-01-24, 2:57 AM #14
My girlfriend and I saw it last night and loved it.
2007-01-24, 5:41 PM #15
Originally posted by Mr. Stafford:
I wouldn't mind seeing it, looks pretty funky. Saw The Prestige last night and it was friggin awesome.

word
2007-01-25, 8:24 AM #16
Originally posted by Elana14:
i barried my head in my boyfirends chest and didnt watch a bit of it.

I thought he is supposed to "barrie" his head in your chest...
2007-01-25, 8:44 AM #17
Buried!

PS. I want to see it. (The movie, not his chest.)
2007-01-25, 8:21 PM #18
Wait, it's only in Spanish?

Lame. Yet another reason why all languages but mine should be criminalized.
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-01-26, 6:33 AM #19
It's finally opening in a local theatre this weekend. Hopefully I'll get a chance to go.
2007-01-26, 7:56 PM #20
I saw it today, I want to see it again. There were so many elements to the movie, and they were all so good that it just pulls you into it and you don't want it to end. It also provokes discussion which I like.

Alicia: Timm said that it was visual amazing
Alicia: but he felt the story came up short
Me: I thought the story was it's strong point. It wasn't a generic fantasy movie with this stupid generic plot
Alicia: well there were a lot of unanswered questions
Me: It was like fantasy and reality intertwined, but not in a childish fashion, more of a mature fashion that served as a purpose of reality/fantasy as well as life and death
Me: The only questions I felt that was unanswered was "Was the magic real or fake?" But it's a question that the audience has to answer for themselves
Alicia: yeah
Alicia: but timm found the watch aspect confusing
Me: It was his fathers
Me: remember when they said he smashed it against the rock?
Alicia: and both of us felt thought they were going to kill the doctor after he delivered the baby
Alicia: that would have added so much to the story
Me: How so?
Alicia: he would be using the doctor to save his son
Alicia: and then kill him
Me: But he killed him ahead of time knowing his wife was having a child
Me: It fit in with the other theme of the movie
Me: of lost hope
Me: He was so blinded by getting revenge on the revolutionaries that he wouldn't even stop for the safety of his son
Alicia: I see what you mean
Me: I like how even at the end, he gets no chance for his legacy to live on
Me: He wants his son to know when he died as his father did, but they don't even give him a chance to carry on his legacy
Me: even though the child is his, and it technically carries his legacy, the child will never know who his father was, so it's a lost legacy anyhow.
Alicia: and timm also said that he thought it would have been better if they had the stuttering guy count to three without stuttering. and having him still get beaten because it would have made the dude mad.
Me: I wasn't sure if he would make it or not, but when he didn't I was like 'Oh ****...'
Alicia: that sucked
Alicia: that was bad
Alicia: his arm
Alicia: oh man
Me: I also found that the girl almost knew she was going to die, because think of it. her father was dead, her mother died, how else was she going to return to the kingdom of her family.
Alicia: that ending was so sad
Me: It's almost that
Me: if you believe in the magic of the film, it was a happy ending, if you don't believe in it, it was depressing
Me: I mean, either way its kind of sad
Alicia: I don't believe in the magic
Me: but its the difference between uplifting and downtrodden
Alicia: I believe that that was an escape world
Alicia: from the cruelty of her step father
Me: The only reason I doubt that it was fake
Me: was when she tossed the root into the fire
Me: and the mother started to bleed out
Alicia: yeah I guess
Alicia: I still think it was fake
Me: I'd like to think it was real, just because I loved the fantasy aspects of the movie
Me: I wanted to see more
Me: I thought the whole movie was fantasy, but when it wasn't it still wasn't disappointing, just because the story kind of pulled you in
Me: Katy and I were like 100% positive that Faun was up to no good, until the last like 2 mins
Me: he was a sneaky *****
Alicia: I didn't like him
Me: I liked him as a character, but I didn't like him as a person. I thought he was up to no good
Me: The babyeater, oh man. That was some creepy ****
Me: I wasn't sure how they were going to make him look scary, but they really pulled it off when you saw how vicious he was
Alicia: yeah that was creepy
Alicia: but I kinda liked him
Me: He was so badass looking. I thought from the pictures I saw of him, he would be a good guy
Alicia: I think that was my favorite part
Think while it's still legal.
2007-01-27, 8:38 PM #21
Fun story about Pan's Labyrinth... a group of friends and I were walking to go see it, I somehow managed to mace myself in the eyes (long, painful story), and on the way back to the dorms we ran into someone who just happened to have a pirated copy on DVD. Yay for happy endings (boo for excess amounts of pain due to stupidity).

The movie was amazing even though the storyline seemed somewhat lacking in depth. The CGI pretty good and the violence didn't bother me all that much... my only greivance was how much the gun/shooting effects sucked.
"Art is a lie that makes us to realize the truth."
- Pablo Picasso

blog thingamajig
2007-01-28, 10:41 AM #22
I think the gunshots were probably more realistic than most.

My brothers film teacher saw someone get shot over a drug deal in her front yard once. In her lecture she said after that point she realized how fake and over the top most film gunshots are. What she described actually happening was much more like the shootings in this film.
2007-01-28, 1:26 PM #23
Originally posted by Zojombize:
I think the gunshots were probably more realistic than most.

I agree. It was refreshing to see something other than heads exploding and blood splattering everywhere.
2007-01-30, 12:36 PM #24
watched it twiced. I actually enjoyed it more teh 2nd time watching it (not saying I didn't enjoy it the first time)

It was really cool, adn I think every aspect of it was done well. I hope it gets as many awards as it can.
||||||||||||||||||||

↑ Up to the top!