Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Comet McNaught, why has noone posted about this.
Comet McNaught, why has noone posted about this.
2007-01-23, 1:07 PM #1
I know that it is only visible in the southern hemisphere, but we have a number of people from the southern hemisphere here.

Anyway, even though it is starting to get dimmer, I saw it last night from the top of the hill my street is on. There were a few other people there, some of them ameture astonomers, so we were able to find it quite easily.

we also saw about four sattellites, including one very fast one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_McNaught
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2007-01-23, 4:49 PM #2
I wish could have seen it when it was visible in the northern hemisphere but there was too much cloud cover for me to see it. I think some in norhtern hemiphere still could see the tip of the tail even though the rest of the comet is visible in the southern hemispere. A gallery of Comet McNaught photos: http://www.spaceweather.com/comets/gallery_mcnaught_page15.htm
2007-01-23, 7:21 PM #3
Originally posted by alpha1:
I know that it is only visible in the southern hemisphere, but we have a number of people from the southern hemisphere here.

That's why no one has posted about it.
Pissed Off?
2007-01-24, 5:05 AM #4
Was out at a friends place in the country earlier this evening and we went outside to look at the comet. Truely amazing stuff, we could see it from just after the sun went below the horizon, and it only got brighter.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2007-01-24, 5:55 AM #5
Hey, don't any of you Southern Hemisphere folks have digital cameras? It's bright enough that even a regular digital camera can take pretty good pictures of it. If you have optical zoom and can set the exposure time to be longer; even better.

But come on, I wanna see some pics of the comet taken by Massassians.
Stuff
2007-01-24, 9:08 AM #6
I took this one Tuesday or Wednesday of last week. Haven't had a clear patch of night sky to see the comet again since then.
Attachment: 15251/comet-sm.jpg (49,352 bytes)
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling ability!!"
2007-01-24, 3:53 PM #7
ummmm, it's just now visible in the southern hemisphere, it's been visible in the northern for a week or so, at its best. too late for those of you who haven't seen it yet up here :D.

But hey, Halley's will be back in like 60 years or so, don't fret!

EDIT: Here's a magnificent photo taken by McNaught himself a couple days ago: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap070122.html

BTW astronomy pic of the day rawks! everyone should have it in their favorites or google homepage ;)
2007-01-24, 3:55 PM #8
Originally posted by saberopus:
ummmm, it's just now visible in the southern hemisphere, it's been visible in the northern for a week or so, at its best. too late for those of you who haven't seen it yet up here :D.

But hey, Halley's will be back in like 60 years or so, don't fret!

EDIT: Here's a magnificent photo taken by McNaught himself a couple days ago: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap070122.html

BTW astronomy pic of the day rawks! everyone should have it in their favorites or google homepage ;)

About 54 years...

<.<
>.>
2007-01-24, 4:59 PM #9
ooh la la!
2007-01-24, 5:43 PM #10
Yeah it was a shame I never got to see it; I didn't even hear about it until it wasn't visible in the Northern Hemisphere anymore (which is odd; you'd think they'd have had something about it on one of the news sites I visit, but no), but I doubt it would have looked very good from here anyways (light pollution :argh: )

Ah well, I still have fond memories of Hale-Bopp.
Stuff
2007-01-24, 9:40 PM #11
Yeah. It would have been awesome to see.
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!