Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Putting formulas on TI calculators?
Putting formulas on TI calculators?
2007-01-23, 6:43 PM #1
I have a TI-83 Silver and a TI-86.

What's the best way to go about putting formulas on these calculators (especially Chemistry related ones)?
2007-01-23, 6:52 PM #2
I'm not sure if they can do symbolic manipulation, so any formulas stored would be stored in a text file i think :/.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2007-01-23, 6:52 PM #3
Depends. If you mean taking notes, than for the 86 at least you can make a new program, just won't have any executable code. You could also write a real program for the equation, but using inline Solver() functions wasn't something I ever messed with.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2007-01-23, 7:19 PM #4
Read the manual. That freaken huge book tells you how to do pretty much everything with your TI-83 (including programming)
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2007-01-23, 9:37 PM #5
I know on my 89 I can save text files, written with anything I want. You might be able to do something similar on an 83. You might have to get creative, like creating a "program" that displays some large strings or store the information as the program itself. But really, don't cheat. It's not cool.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-01-23, 10:34 PM #6
You can easily create a program on the 83 that will just display text (or an equation) that you enter. All you have to do is create a new program and make the code the formula that you want to enter. You can give it a descriptive title, and whenever you run the program the equation is displayed.

Or you could just get an HP 48G and have RPN and tons of formulas built in.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2007-01-24, 6:20 AM #7
Originally posted by Freelancer:
But really, don't cheat. It's not cool.

The TA recommended we put the formulas on our calculators.

Originally posted by Bobbert:
You can easily create a program on the 83 that will just display text (or an equation) that you enter. All you have to do is create a new program and make the code the formula that you want to enter.

Wah? I don't have any idea how to do any of this. Please elaborate.
2007-01-24, 10:12 AM #8
http://people.uwec.edu/barretbp/TI_calculators.htm

That will tell you how to at least create a new program. To make a program that simply displays a given formula (one formula per program), simply make the only line of code for your program the formula that you want displayed (you might have to put it in quotes which are above the + key). You can type letters by using the A-LOCK function on the ALPHA key.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2007-01-24, 11:30 AM #9
There should be simple bitmap viewers for TI calculators out there. Your best bet would be to make them on your PC (1-bit black and white), and view them on your 86. The 86 has a higher resolution screen, so use that. Much less clunky than text.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

↑ Up to the top!