Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Try to pronounce this
Try to pronounce this
2007-01-24, 2:56 PM #1
I certainly can't.

THE GOD-DAMN WELSH!
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-01-24, 2:58 PM #2
Hell no.

Welsh has 7 vowels.
nope.
2007-01-24, 3:00 PM #3
Used to be in my old English book. If we could get at least 3 people who could pronounce it without mistakes at regular speed, the teacher promised to buy a drink for everyone after school.

He kept his word when 7 of us pronounced it properly after a week's practice.
2007-01-24, 3:09 PM #4
I have failed.
2007-01-24, 3:40 PM #5
Sure beats "supercalifragilisticexpialidoceous," if you ask me.
幻術
2007-01-24, 3:44 PM #6
If you pronounced it following Finnish rules, it would take 5 minutes of practice, if even that. But then again, Finnish may have the easiest pronounciation rules of all languages (that being the only easy part of Finnish, most likely).
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2007-01-24, 5:01 PM #7
Pronounced on their town website.

I didn't even try. :)
2007-01-24, 6:30 PM #8
It's not too hard if you know the rules for Welsh, it's got a few extra letters in the alphabet represented by double letters but it's all fairly phonetic(ish).

dd = th sound like in "the"
ll = weird sound I don't know how to type. (imagine saying "hl" as a consonant... sorta)
ch = just like ch in loch
u = ee sound
w = short "oo" vowel (most of the time, I think it sounds like a normal w just before a y, but I could be wrong)
f = v
y = really damn vague vowel that sounds like all sorts of things depending on where it is
i.e. yr = sounds like "ear"

I go up Welsh "mountains" fairly often and I've been trying to figure out how to say the damn place names properly, plus it's always cool to pick up bits and pieces of strange languages.
2007-01-24, 6:51 PM #9
Welsh pronunciation isn't so bad. I'm studying in Denmark right now, and Danish pronunciation... holy ****.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2007-01-25, 11:35 AM #10
Originally posted by Recusant:
It's not too hard if you know the rules for Welsh, it's got a few extra letters in the alphabet represented by double letters but it's all fairly phonetic(ish).

dd = th sound like in "the"
ll = weird sound I don't know how to type. (imagine saying "hl" as a consonant... sorta)
ch = just like ch in loch
u = ee sound
w = short "oo" vowel (most of the time, I think it sounds like a normal w just before a y, but I could be wrong)
f = v
y = really damn vague vowel that sounds like all sorts of things depending on where it is
i.e. yr = sounds like "ear"

I go up Welsh "mountains" fairly often and I've been trying to figure out how to say the damn place names properly, plus it's always cool to pick up bits and pieces of strange languages.

It's funny trying to see foreigners try to pronounce Gaelic places here in the hills.

I think an accent helps you get the throaty noise in Invercleudigch.
nope.
2007-01-25, 11:44 AM #11
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
Welsh pronunciation isn't so bad. I'm studying in Denmark right now, and Danish pronunciation... holy ****.

Where are you studying?
2007-01-25, 1:03 PM #12
There's more than one school in Denmark? :confused:
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-01-25, 10:15 PM #13
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:

Haha oh lol. Danish. They sound like they're trying to speak with their mouths full of porridge or socks or something.
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2007-01-25, 11:34 PM #14
It's because they have enough franco influence to sound stupid.
omnia mea mecum porto
2007-01-26, 5:16 AM #15
Originally posted by Wolfy:
There's more than one school in Denmark? :confused:

Actually, yes, there are a few different schools in the Copenhagen area alone. But to answer the question, I'm not actually at any of the colleges, I'm in the Denmark International Study program, which isn't really part of the other schools. It has its own buildings, classrooms, faculty and such.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.

↑ Up to the top!