Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So I bought BGII and Icewind Dale II...and a what-are-you-playing-now thread!
So I bought BGII and Icewind Dale II...and a what-are-you-playing-now thread!
2007-01-28, 5:05 PM #1
Picked them up from GoGamer..came out to be about 15 bucks shipped for the pair (Icewind Dale II and Baldur's Gate II Collection). My brother likes RPGs, and I've heard good things about these, so I figured eh, why not. Sealed in boxes..I've never played them before -- am I missing out? I loved NWN...am sorta playing Oblivion on-and-off, and have NWN2, but it doesn't run as smoothly as I'd like, so I haven't been playing much.

Sooo...should I give them away or play them first? :P

And...what games are you currently playing?

NWN2 (sorta)
Oblivion
Battlefield2 online (just got back into it today..kinda forgot about it for a while)

Recently beat Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.
woot!
2007-01-28, 5:07 PM #2
Give Icewind Dale away and play BG2 for eternity. It's certainly worth it. Well, OK, TBH I've never played Icewind Dale 1 or 2, but Baldur's Gate 2 is very awesome indeed.
幻術
2007-01-28, 5:08 PM #3
MoTS with BoaM and ORS and Leezas Destiny.
Also some Half Life,Sven Co-oP,Opposing force and of course.

MONKEY ISLAND
2007-01-28, 5:09 PM #4
LotRO
Guitar Hero 2
2007-01-28, 5:09 PM #5
started playing Battlefield_Vietnam again, chipping away at 100% for San Andreas. need to get back to MW4:Mercenaries.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2007-01-28, 5:10 PM #6
Arx Fatalis
Hidden And Dangerous 2
2007-01-28, 5:12 PM #7
I'm actually playing Psychonauts now. The most recent game I've finished was Chaos Theory, too, though. Also am playing stuff like Doom 2 (some games NEVER age), Guilty Gear X2 Reload, Baldur's Gate 2, and Devil May Cry 3 SE. But mostly Psychonauts.
幻術
2007-01-28, 5:17 PM #8
World of Warcraft
Resistance: The fall of Man
2007-01-28, 5:20 PM #9
Appears that BG2 is a keeper, then :)

I might have to try Icewind Dale just for kicks...so many games, so little time. :(
woot!
2007-01-28, 5:23 PM #10
Twilight Princess and Company of Heroes for now. I'm sure that'll change in a couple of days.
2007-01-28, 5:24 PM #11
Icewind Dale was the shizzzzzzzz.

Play it.
2007-01-28, 5:42 PM #12
Frets on Fire and various Source mods. FoF takes up too much of my time. :o
2007-01-28, 5:42 PM #13
IWD2 is great. I wish BG2 used the same ruleset :(

I play EVE.
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2007-01-28, 6:07 PM #14
I just got to the swamp on JO and decided to call it quits. Game was fun while it lasted, but I have almost no health after beating Galak and get killed really quick when I come up against the super-reborn-guys with armor. As far as I'm concerned, I almost beat the game and that's enough.

I was playing Twighlight Princess, but quit for JO. I'm at the Lakebed Temple.

I AM playing Resident Evil 4 on PS2, I'm about up to where I was on the GCN. But I've got about 90000 more pesetas than I did in the GCN version, so all my guns are maxed out and I just made it to the Village Chief battle, where he gets cut in half.

I intend to play KotOR very soon because I just beat JO and I'm in a Star Warsy mood.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2007-01-28, 6:21 PM #15
JLee: Get the 1.03 patch and if you're brave enough, get 1.04 beta patch. There are some speed performance increases in the patches, at least I've noticed. Also a recommendation that I saw on NWN2 forums was to download DirectX 9.0c again. I haven't tested it (can't) sooo...
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-01-28, 6:26 PM #16
Disciples II
Battle for Middle Earth II
Jedi Outcast
Half Life: Opposing Force
2007-01-28, 6:32 PM #17
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
JLee: Get the 1.03 patch and if you're brave enough, get 1.04 beta patch. There are some speed performance increases in the patches, at least I've noticed. Also a recommendation that I saw on NWN2 forums was to download DirectX 9.0c again. I haven't tested it (can't) sooo...

I have hardly played it, so there's not much to lose if it gets all borked. I'll give the beta patch a try!
woot!
2007-01-28, 6:36 PM #18
Half Life: 2
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War: Dark Crusade
Medieval 2: Total War
FEAR

Maybe I should load up Thief: Deadly Shadows again...
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2007-01-28, 6:37 PM #19
The only games that are on par with Baldurs Gate 2 are the Fallout series and Planescape: Torment. No other games are worth mentioning in the same sentence of goodness. Icewind Dale 2 is pretty good though.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2007-01-28, 6:55 PM #20
Resistance: The fall of Man
Tony Hawk's Project 8
Resident Evil 4
2007-01-28, 7:02 PM #21
WoW and FarCry mostly.

IWD2 is 'ok'. Not very interesting, but uses a different ruleset than BG2.

BG2 however is an astounding game with great storyline. Since you aren't forced to create all the characters, they're given depth and have their own backgrounds and stuff.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-01-28, 7:03 PM #22
I have Warhammer Sitting on my desk waiting to be installed
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2007-01-28, 7:24 PM #23
Oh, just remembered, I'd occasionally start Freelancer. Still can't get myself to finish the game, with all the distractions and all, heh. It's very very good, though.
幻術
2007-01-28, 8:03 PM #24
IWD 2 = hack and slash, easy 3rd edition rules

BG 2 = awesome plot/characters, way obscure 2nd edition/3rd edition hybrid. In the end, this one has way more replay value, even more now that everyone and their brother has added 3rd party playable characters with full dialogue trees. BG 2 also goes on to Throne of Bhaal, which ends up having as much hack and slash as IWD 2. Plus, for more bonus points, you are a god.
In Soviet ISB, NeS writes YOU!
2007-01-28, 8:11 PM #25
Originally posted by Semievil333:
IWD 2 = hack and slash, easy 3rd edition rules

BG 2 = awesome plot/characters, way obscure 2nd edition/3rd edition hybrid. In the end, this one has way more replay value, even more now that everyone and their brother has added 3rd party playable characters with full dialogue trees. BG 2 also goes on to Throne of Bhaal, which ends up having as much hack and slash as IWD 2. Plus, for more bonus points, you are a god.

I have the Throne of Baal too...installing everything now.

Maybe this is a bad idea..as I'm in some rather intensive classes now..I'll have to make sure I don't start playing until I'm done..lol
woot!
2007-01-28, 8:22 PM #26
Team Fortress Classic.

That's about it.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-01-28, 8:24 PM #27
Jade Empire.
KoToR II.
Splinter-Cell Chaos Theory.
DiabloII

I finished playing Splinter-Cell Double Agent a few months ago. I hardly game so I've been inching along with all of the above.
My blawgh.
2007-01-28, 8:29 PM #28
Being on a college student budget I've not gotten any new games really, so I'm playing through Black and White 2 again, as well as firing up my GC every once and a while for Super Mario Strikers.
"It sounds like an epidemic."
"Look, I don't know what that means. But it happens all the time." - Penny Arcade
Last.fm
2007-01-28, 8:52 PM #29
I currently have installed:

Mount&Blade
Stubbs the Zombie
Fallout
Deus Ex
VtM: Bloodlines
GTA 3
NOLF
Bookworm Adventures
GTA: SA
CS:S

And I play them in pretty much that order, from most to least.
2007-01-28, 9:01 PM #30
I got Gauntlet: Dark Legacy for PS2.

Reliving the days of shallow addictive gameplay and 1998 graphics.
2007-01-28, 9:04 PM #31
Simpsons Hit & Run
SimCity 2000
Call of Duty Multiplayer

I'm not really gaming much right now, mostly because I have to kick my brother off the gaming machine whenever I want to play something near-recent. I just finished JO for the second time and liked it a lot more
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-01-28, 9:36 PM #32
Cancelled my WoW account back in October, couldn't really afford it anymore, and was pretty bored anyways.

Don't have much time or attention span for most games anymore [Oblivion and NWN2 I got about an hour into each], but I pop into Battlefield 2142 from time to time with an old guildie.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2007-01-28, 9:46 PM #33
PC: DoTA, CS
PS2: God of War
PSP: THUG2, GTA:LCS, Lumines II, FF7, Super Street Fighter II
2007-01-29, 12:10 AM #34
WoW. Bigtime. Burning Crusade was just the kick of differentness I needed to get back into it. Plus I get to level my Hunter again so yay!
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2007-01-29, 12:37 AM #35
I'm mostly playing PES5 on the PC right now, just going through the Master League and building up possibly the greatest team in the world. I've also got NWN, BG2, Discworld Noir, Oni, Sudeki, and Empire Earth 2 installed. The first two I've got no real reason to play anymore, since I've pretty much tried all the classes and henchmen/party members out. I've finished Discworld Noir, Oni, and Sudeki, and they don't have an awful lot of replay value (although I might get around to replaying Sudeki one day, and Oni is fun to dip in and out of). Empire Earth 2 was amazing, but once the campaign mode moves into the future (the last American mission) it doesn't hold any appeal to me anymore and I never got around to finishing it. I quite enjoyed the history lessons, to be honest :P

I'm also sort-of-playing Final Fantasy 2 and Sword of Mana on GBA.
2007-01-29, 12:50 AM #36
Oblivion : )
Pie.
2007-01-29, 1:03 AM #37
Nothing :(

I should, though.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-01-29, 1:51 AM #38
Loom.

I win.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-01-29, 2:58 AM #39
  • FEAR
  • Jedi Knight (JKE)
  • Mysteries Of The Sith
2007-01-29, 4:49 AM #40
I set a person on fire once. That was funny.

Oh. Dawn of War. Oblivion sorta, but not really. Gears of War. Not really, though. I've been spending all of my gaming time in Visual Studio.

↑ Up to the top!