Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → All rise. Court is now in session.
All rise. Court is now in session.
2007-01-29, 8:02 PM #1
Once again, I have been summoned to jury duty. This happened a few years ago, and I got called over and over for 6 months. I probably ended up serving on 4 or 5 juries, and one of those trials lasted 2 weeks.

That was all local. This time I have to go to Little Rock for federal jury duty. I have to report tomorrow at 8, so I pretty much need to leave here around 5:30am to account for driving 1 1/2 hours to Little Rock, traffic, wrong turns, finding a parking space, and whatnot.

I was told by a friend that served back in October, that by the time you find out if you have to serve on the jury, it's after lunch and the whole day is essentially blown.

My duty as an american sucks.

Any of you served on a jury?
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2007-01-29, 8:13 PM #2
Last time I got called I was leaving for the Air Force. If you're 1.5 hours away and you have a job, you can probably get out of it. I personally can't afford to take even a week off at the rates they offer (like $10/day).
2007-01-29, 8:32 PM #3
oops...>_>
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
2007-01-29, 8:34 PM #4
I was called on two separate occasions before I was even twenty-one.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-01-29, 8:47 PM #5
Never been called. I wouldnt really mind it though, since I don't have a job, or much of a life during the day. (Besides school, do they work around this?)
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-01-29, 8:56 PM #6
I believe they don't take you if you're in school.
2007-01-29, 8:56 PM #7
Originally posted by Cool Matty:

LOL!!!!!!!!

....so naive.....
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-01-29, 9:03 PM #8

You can defer if you're a student. That's what I've always done, and it hasn't failed me yet.
Pissed Off?
2007-01-29, 9:04 PM #9
It depends on the county. They do not let students defer here.
2007-01-29, 9:11 PM #10
Originally posted by Freelancer:

I don't really understand how they couldn't ley you defer. It's school. If you miss school, you're screwing up quite a bit of your schedule, grades, or otherwise.

It's not like a job which is just money that can be paid back.
2007-01-29, 9:15 PM #11
Just go in and tell them you want all the jews hung. Problem solved.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-01-29, 9:23 PM #12
I don't really understand how they couldn't ley you defer. It's school. If you miss school, you're screwing up quite a bit of your schedule, grades, or otherwise.

It's not like a job which is just money that can be paid back.

With all due respect, I'd helluva rather miss school than work. They only pay you like two dollars an hour! If you're going to school, odds are you are supporting yourself on someone else's money. A lot of people can't afford to miss work for jury duty.
2007-01-29, 9:26 PM #13
Yeah, but if you miss school, you miss notes, tests, important info you don't get at work. Stuff that, if you miss, can really screw up your entire career.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-01-29, 9:28 PM #14
Well, all I can say is these women who run these things are always really *****y about it if you try to get out of it FOR ANY REASON. DO NOT expect any help from them whatsoever.
2007-01-29, 10:22 PM #15
I got summoned, but since it was in Naples and I'm in Tallahassee I didn't have to do it.
2007-01-29, 10:25 PM #16
I guess compulsory jury duty still isn't as bad as compulsory military service.

That jury duty thing looked quite weird on Veronica Mars, too.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-01-29, 11:50 PM #17
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Just go in and tell them you want all the jews hung. Problem solved.

It works, act like a huge racist and boom you're out.
2007-01-30, 12:05 AM #18
Telling them that anyone who's guilty should get the death penalty is a good was out too.
Pissed Off?
2007-01-30, 3:06 AM #19
The jury system suxbad >:(
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
2007-01-30, 4:08 AM #20
I just have to mention my Aunt who's an assisstant state's attorney, and they won't choose me no matter what.
"It sounds like an epidemic."
"Look, I don't know what that means. But it happens all the time." - Penny Arcade
Last.fm
2007-01-30, 4:11 AM #21
Originally posted by Freelancer:

Um, Utah, duh?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-01-30, 6:17 AM #22
Never been summoned, but I hope all the ones I get are before May, or else I can't use "imma student" as an excuse. :saddowns:
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-01-30, 9:07 AM #23
Claim you're a member of the KKK - that should get you off.
I WANT TO BELIEVE
2007-01-30, 9:14 AM #24
They (city, not federal) recently sent me a questionnaire, basically telling me my name came up, and asking if I was qualified. I go to school out of state, so I should get out of it when the follow up comes.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2007-01-30, 9:18 AM #25
Never been summoned, but I wouldn't mind doing it.

Unless it's after I move back to Clearwater, and they want me to come back to Orlando. Hell with that.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2007-01-30, 10:48 AM #26
Court is adjourned! I didn't get picked!

There were about 45 of us, and after watching a video, and swearing in, and other junk, we went up to the courtroom, and they drew 31 of the 45 people. Talk about excruciating! The whole time, I was sitting there thinking, "ok, I'm next. Wow. Ok, now I'm next." They never did call my name.

Those of us that were "leftovers" had to stay, because as the judge and lawyers asked questions, others were asked to step out of the "31 box" and their spots were filled in by the "leftovers". That happened about 4 times, and I didn't called then either.

After a few minutes, the lawyers had axed the ones they were allowed too, and the clerk called the first 13 people (from the 31). I was done! They even had the police department cancel the parking ticket I got while I was in the courthouse.
2007-01-30, 11:29 AM #27
Did you get to learn anything about the case? (sorry, I never had jury duty)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-01-30, 2:07 PM #28
Here in California we have the One Day, One Trial system. If you are picked for a trial, you serve just that one trial and are exempt for three years. If you are not picked for the entire day of voir dire, you are not "on call" for the next trial and you are exempt for a year.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-01-30, 7:09 PM #29
And students get to defer. This is why California is awesome.
Pissed Off?
2007-01-30, 7:35 PM #30
I got called, but I got to defer. Federal Employee.
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-01-30, 8:53 PM #31
Originally posted by Echoman:
Did you get to learn anything about the case? (sorry, I never had jury duty)

All we were told was the ladies arrest report, which alleges she harbored a fugitive who robbed a bank, and later killed himself in jail (the fugitive bank robber, that is).
2007-01-31, 5:32 AM #32
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
Once again, I have been summoned to jury duty. This happened a few years ago, and I got called over and over for 6 months. I probably ended up serving on 4 or 5 juries, and one of those trials lasted 2 weeks.

That was all local. This time I have to go to Little Rock for federal jury duty. I have to report tomorrow at 8, so I pretty much need to leave here around 5:30am to account for driving 1 1/2 hours to Little Rock, traffic, wrong turns, finding a parking space, and whatnot.

I was told by a friend that served back in October, that by the time you find out if you have to serve on the jury, it's after lunch and the whole day is essentially blown.

My duty as an american sucks.

Any of you served on a jury?

I thought teachers could be excluded somehow, especially if the case deals with capital punishment.
2007-02-01, 9:52 PM #33
jury duty sounds fun, you have someones life neigh at your fingertips.

↑ Up to the top!