Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Allegory of Sator
Allegory of Sator
2007-02-04, 11:30 PM #1
An inventor designed and planned a complex system of machines to carry out a task. This system relied specifically on her most revolutionary machine; Letalis Vir (lv). The inventor spent 6 years of her life’s love and labor developing the system. After checking and double checking the stability of her design, she completed her vision by adding lv. Pulling the power switch, the inventor’s masterpiece began to light up with life. Each and every part, specifically, lv, functioned as intended.

After naming the overall machine “PLAN” (Perpetual Lateral Actuator Network), the exhausted inventor retreated to a year long vacation in Maui.

It must be noted that Letalis Vir was designed as a very delicate machine. The Inventor, knowing that she could be jeopardizing her creation, sacrificed the structural integrity of lv in favor of more proficient and complex parts. It is common knowledge in the world of inventors that the more complex a machines individual parts are, the more likely the machine is to malfunction or become inoperable. At the same time, complex parts can be far more precise, and thus beneficial enough to risk their malfunctioning. Neither machines could be used for long periods of time, and would have to be replaced often.

The inventor, being all-knowing in her field, was sure that a machine given the opportunity to achieve what she wanted to an even finer degree would be far more compliant and manipulated than a less-than-capable, but more stable structure. The lv was given the gift of complexity.

Regardless of her reasoning, lv became stressed and eventually broke, halting her PLAN’s operation. Having been full of pride at her successful system of machines, the inventor did not opt to use the more robust, but less capable designed lv. Instead, she burst into the assembly line and demanded that her already intentionally flawed invention continue to be used for her PLAN, but only after rigorous stress tests she called tentatio. Despite being designed for precision and not structural value, those machines which could not withstand torturous and senseless (but apparently necessary) tests were not deemed ‘worthy’ for the perfect system for which it was intended.

Job, An illegal alien working the sprocket station on the Letalis Vir line (Next to the Pennipotenti Piscis Piscis quod Nemus press) put down his tools and asked the inventor:

“You have designed a machine that has the ability to accomplish your goals to a higher degree, but at the cost of longevity. Despite your intentional structural weakness, you will expose the Letalis Vir to tentatio? Please excuse me for questioning your omnipotence, for you are far wiser, and attended Stanford, but I must ask this one thing: Do you expect an already delicate machine that is stressed and exposed to the very things that cause it to malfunction to be any more proficient than the untested machine? Letalis Vir is designed to be free from constraints, not to be stressed and overworked.”

Job was immediately fired for his incompetence, and the assembly line began producing one-third the functioning Letalis Vir as they had been before, all of which were less effective than the original machine. Meanwhile, millions were wasted on the creation of useless parts that could not withstand the illogical process of weeding.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-02-04, 11:42 PM #2
Interesting.

You've baffled me, but it's definitely interesting.
2007-02-05, 12:28 AM #3
d00d it's about hUmAnItY.

I'll read this again tomorrow I'm too tired :D
2007-02-05, 1:03 AM #4
Kirby you tried to drop-test a DLP projector didn't you. I've found out the hard way myself; micromirror arrays and sensitive optics don't like sudden jolts of acceleration.
Stuff
2007-02-05, 5:36 AM #5
Originally posted by JediKirby:
I disagree!
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-02-05, 7:00 AM #6
Sator arepo tenet opera rotas?
2007-02-05, 8:51 AM #7
Originally posted by saberopus:
d00d it's about hUmAnItY.

[http://blog.evocateur.org/files/manatee.jpg]
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2007-02-05, 9:19 AM #8
[quote=Midget Boy]Job was immediately fired for his incompetence, and the assembly line began producing one-third the functioning Letalis Vir as they had been before, all of which were less effective than the original machine. Meanwhile, millions were wasted on the creation of useless parts that could not withstand the illogical process of weeding.[/quote]

BUT THEN THE INVENTOR THOUGHT "HMM, MAYBE HE WAS RIGHT!" SO SHE WENT UP TO BEGIN WORKING ON THE MACHINE. BUT JOB, PISSED ABOUT GETTING PISSED ON, SNUCK UP BEHIND THE INVENTOR AND PUSHED HER INTO THE HEAVY MACHINERY! "WHO'S SO SMART NOW?!" JOB YELLED! HER FEET WERE STUCK IN THE HEAVY MACHINERY, AND HER LONG, FLOWING HAIR GOT CAUGHT IN A A GEAR, AND IT BEGAN TO PULL ON HER SCALP! IT PULLED, AND SHE SCREAMED, AND IT PULLED, AND SHE SCREMAED, UNTIL EVENTUALLY IT PEELED THE SKIN OFF OF HER HEAD AND HER BRAIN JUICES LEAKED OUT ALL OVER THE MACHINE AND SHE DIED, AND DIED, AND DIED!
2007-02-05, 9:24 AM #9
Steven retains the storytelling championship!
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-02-05, 11:51 AM #10
I am still sad that these story-things are not made in the ISB... :P
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net

↑ Up to the top!