Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → A worthy grid computing project
A worthy grid computing project
2004-07-13, 11:04 AM #1
https://www.grid.org

You can choose to help with cancer treatment or smallpox treatment, or both.

It runs on idle time (like all of them) analyzing ligands fits into proteins.

I find this much more preferable to seti@home and other projects, due to its helpful nature.

I recommend it. Plus, it's cool to look at the 3d structure of the ligands and proteins.
2004-07-13, 11:47 AM #2
Yeah, well seti finally contacts the aliens I'm sure they'll give us a cure for cancer. So screw you.

------------------
"Look at me! I'm Tracer! BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-07-13, 12:18 PM #3
Take it easy. SETI doesn't contact aliens, it searches for fluctuations in radio to try to determine if there is a remote possiblity that they exist. We tried to establish contact with that fancy probe a while ago. Goodness knows how terribly that is going to fail.
2004-07-13, 12:48 PM #4
I'd like to see more of these projects converted to the BOINC architexture so that it'd be easier for people to split their processor time between multiple projects.
Yet Another Massassi Map | Sadly I Have a Blog Too
2004-07-13, 2:00 PM #5
I'd rather run that one that makes pretty pictures. But in reality, my computer is in use pretty much all of the time, and when I'm not using it, I shut it off, so...

------------------
"May your gravity well be shallow, and your deBroglie wavelength short."
Stuff
2004-07-13, 3:29 PM #6
No Linux clients? Geeze, seti@home even has ports to PA-RISC!

Yeah, those buggers can burn in hell. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-07-14, 9:16 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hebedee:
Take it easy. SETI doesn't contact aliens, it searches for fluctuations in radio to try to determine if there is a remote possiblity that they exist. We tried to establish contact with that fancy probe a while ago. Goodness knows how terribly that is going to fail.</font>

Yeah, I know, it's just...yeah, I'm not funny.

------------------
"Look at me! I'm Tracer! BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-07-15, 1:52 AM #8
Have you shunned WINE, GBK?
2004-07-15, 3:59 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hebedee:
Have you shunned WINE, GBK?</font>

Thats not the point. Sure, its entirely possible that the win32 client would run just as snippy under Linux+Wine, but I shouldnt have to use Wine, there hsould be a native client for *nix.

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-07-15, 8:23 AM #10
Gee guys, who would have thought that GBK would post more annoying and useless garbage about Linux in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with Linux! He sure isn't a pox on the forums at all, right guys??!

...Downloading. Gonna help cure cancer.
2004-07-15, 8:33 AM #11
go Jon!

------------------
/end boob rant
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!

↑ Up to the top!