Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I, Robot
I, Robot
2004-07-16, 5:13 AM #1
I thought it was spectacular. The only thing that I think that could have made it better is if they hadn't cast Will Smith in it.. He always tried to ruin a good mood that a movie has created with a joke that fails horribly. I don't understand how he keeps getting work.

------------------
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
|
|
||||||||||||||||||||
2004-07-16, 5:30 AM #2
Heh, that's good news. I'm seeing it today later on, hope it's good.

Oh, and if it sucks, I'm going to torture you with a wet noodle. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

------------------
Titan A.E.
Titan A.E.
2004-07-16, 5:47 AM #3
Yay.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-16, 6:07 AM #4
Poor, poor Asimov.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2004-07-16, 6:20 AM #5
Hopefully they don't rape his grave TOO badly. He is dead isn't he? I thought he was.

Great writer though. Seriously, check out his books, and especially his short stories. The Last Question was genious.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-16, 7:15 AM #6
It was said best on the SA forums, so I will just quote it:

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'm just gonna repost what I wrote in another thread so we can keep the discourse in here at a certain level:

The movie is actually based on two different books by two different authors. "I, Robot" was written by Eando Binder in 1939, and is the well known story about a robot accused of murder. Fast forward to 1950 and Asimov releases an anthology of stories about robots. I'm not sure what the original titles was, but the publisher changed the title to "I, Robot", perhaps influenced from once reading Binder's story. Asimov objected but the name stuck. Nowadays everyone seems to think that Asimov's "I, Robot" is the story about the robot murder, and not the collection of stories that it is.

The film is based on both books. The plot about the robot murdering someone is taken from Binders book, and the rampaging robots and other elements are taken from Asimovs book. Asimov's "I, Robot" is composed of these stories:

- "Robbie"
- "Runaround"
- "Reason"
- "Catch That Rabbit"
- "Liar!"
- "Little Lost Robot"
- "Escape!"
- "Evidence"
- "The Evitable Conflict" (the movie seems based mostly in this story, but all contributed elements to the film)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending what looks like an *** -tastic film, but we should at least get our facts straight.</font>

So you can't really say poor Assimov...well, you can, but it's only half right.

------------------
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2004-07-16, 10:03 AM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Great writer though.</font>

Couldn't disagree more. Of the hundreds (thousands?) of stories he wrote, less than half of them were actually good. I've read a lot of his books, and the only ones I've liked were the I, Robot collection and the first two foundation books. Everything else was junk.

Also, the guy was totally full of himself. You ever read the introductions in his books? Every single one goes something like, "here's how I invented robots and here's how I invented the word 'robotics'. That's right, I invented a word. They even added it to the dictionary."

------------------
"Look at me! I'm Tracer! BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

-MBeggar
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-07-16, 10:13 AM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tracer:
Couldn't disagree more. Of the hundreds (thousands?) of stories he wrote, less than half of them were actually good. I've read a lot of his books, and the only ones I've liked were the I, Robot collection and the first two foundation books. Everything else was junk.

Also, the guy was totally full of himself. You ever read the introductions in his books? Every single one goes something like, "here's how I invented robots and here's how I invented the word 'robotics'. That's right, I invented a word. They even added it to the dictionary."

</font>

I loved all of his stuff, and especially his theories on robotics and computers. Yeah he did create the word, all that stuff, but it's only in like a few introductions. I loved the I, Robot series, most all of his short stories (the one about the cave-man, and the one about the prehistoric child are priceless), and his Robot City book I believe it was. The man's a genius, his novels are quite good reading material, and so what if a portion of his books aren't the greatest? He's written enough material that any little amount of craptastic stuff from him that's out there is more than excusable. At least IMO.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-16, 12:32 PM #9
It's out already? Jeeze am I behind... I'll have to see it sometime soon, it looks great.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-07-16, 1:24 PM #10
I just saw it, and it is w00tl3s!!!11one

It's really shocking at parts. I had no idea who was guilty until the end, which REALLY shocked me. It had some good humor in it too. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

Two thumbs up! W00T! Cheer!

------------------
Titan A.E.
Titan A.E.
2004-07-16, 1:33 PM #11
I heard it was mediocre. Not terrible, but nothing great.

------------------
Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
2004-07-16, 1:39 PM #12
I'll say this, the movie was MUCH better than the trailer made it out to be. I was expecting two hours of mindless Will Smith one-liners; instead I got other character's making up for the Will Smith one-liners for two hours.

I just got back from seeing it and my initial feeling is that it was an average popcorn flick that could have been more than that. I felt that Proyas wanted to do more in the film but was forced to make it a popcorn flick. I would have prefered that most the action scenes be replaced with plot development, but that's just me. The ending could have also been built up more; when it was ending it was just like, "Here, this is the ending. Goodbye." It wasn't a satisfying end for even an action movie.

------------------
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here this is the War Room.
http://darkestspiral.greentinted.com

"I have no clue why people trust statistics like that. 99% of the time they are made up." - Raoul Duke
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2004-07-16, 2:33 PM #13
I really hope this isn't the usual Hollywood evil-science type film.

I was watching this film called Dream House, where a family went to live in a house completely controlled by AI. Naturally, the house goes crazy and kills everyone. Of course, it's all because the house was evil and everyone goes back to their luddite ways and live happily ever after, ignoring the fool of a programmer who added the kill() function to the code.

There have been quite a few films out relatively recently about 'genetic engineering' and other such topics basically covering a battle of science vs. 'love' and the heroic down-to-earth philistine saves the day with 'human emotion' and thatwhat. The Day after Tomorrow was a welcome break from this pattern.

I very much hope I, Robot doesn't follow this pattern. From the trailer made it look like it certainly did, with Will Smith being the cool dude that doesn't know anything about anything defeating hordes of evil robots.

The single most important element of all the short stories is the three laws of robotics. Everything rotates around them, it's all about the situations and circumstances created by those laws. It made me smile when Bicentennial man mentioned them, even though it was pretty pointless in that film.
I do hope I, Robot at least mentions the three laws, as it is very important to understand that "AI" isn't something weird and magical, it is just programming, and can adhere to any rules set by programmers.

So, um, does it?

I have every intention of seeing it either way.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-07-16, 3:41 PM #14
Will Smiths 1 liners were freaking holarious in this! *ACHOO* <-- people who saw the movie will get it. This movie is a definite 2 wangs up. It rocked so much. BUT OMG IT WASNT EXACTLY THE BOOKS! IT MUST SUX BAD! THEY ARE RAPING HIM! HE MUST BE TURNING OVER IN HIS GRAVE OMG! ITS NOT THE BOOK! AHHH BLASPHEMY!

I never read the books, I don't care, the movie rocked. I think Unreal Tournament explains this movie best...

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">GOD LIKE!!!</font>

and the action in this movie can be described as

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!!!</font>

------------------
Haggis: "For God's sake, snap out of it man! That bottle is empty! It's been empty since the first day we got to this godforsaken place and you drank it all! You're losing touch with reality!"
Otter stares at Haggis, a suspicious expression on his face.
Otter: "You just want my whiskey! I'm on to you!"

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited July 16, 2004).]
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-16, 4:15 PM #15
We're not saying it's going to suck because it's not spot on with what the book says... It's hollywood, they cheat.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-16, 5:18 PM #16
And as was establish a few posts earlier, it's not based on any one book, but several.

I think I'm going to make an attempt to see it this weekend.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-07-16, 6:45 PM #17
You mean 'suggested' by the books? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
'And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honor, and glory, and power, be unto Him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.'

Revalation 5:13
Old King James
2004-07-16, 6:54 PM #18
Just got back from seeing it. I loved it.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-07-16, 9:29 PM #19
When I first saw the trailers, I was kinda doubting that I, Robot would be any good. But I saw it today, and I thought it was great. I was really suprised.

------------------
"Church, women are like Voltron, the more you can hook up, the better it gets!"
-Tucker
Red vs Blue

Ph34r t3h Cute Ones
"I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."

-Calvin
2004-07-17, 5:59 AM #20
That's exactly how I felt. I saw the poster before barely anything was known about it.. it said "3 laws safe" at the bottom, and I saw this picture of a beautiful, yet kinda creepy robot... then I saw assmov's name on it... I was excited.. until I heard about Will Smith. I was like.. "this is the worst thing that could happen ever".

When I went into the movie, I was actually making jokes about walking out of it, cause I expect it to be THAT bad. (the parts where it showed will smith's butt) Anyway, as the movie went on, I was getting more and more impressed with it. By the end I was like "Hmm.. that was pretty good." then as I discussed it with friends afterward, things were brought up and I realized I liked it a lot more than I thought I did. I thought it was really spectacular, and it's a good break from all the CRAP movies we've been having recently (working at a movie theatre, have seen pretty much all movies since 2002).

To comment on the "Evil science" post.
- I totally know what you're talking about. It seems EVERY movie is like that.

Jurassic Park - Cloning is Evil, stay away from science if you want to live.
The 6th Day - Cloning is Evil, stay away from science if you want to live.

(there are ALOT more, but I don't want to spend time thinking about it.. -i'm lazy)

Anyway, Godsend seemed like a good break from this trend... as though it seemed like your basic "science is evil" movie, it turned out to NOT be that. Science did everything it was supposta in this movie.. you just had an evil doctor splicing evil genes...

I, Robot is another good break from this trend. I expected an "Evil robot" movie, and "AI is automatically evil" mindset, but it seemed to follow reality quite well, and it kinda plays a trick on your mind and end the end, the Robots are better discribed as "Confused" than Evil robots. There is also a great deal or Irony with Sonny (the main robot) You'll probably have to think kinda deeply to find this one.

------------------
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
|
|
||||||||||||||||||||
2004-07-17, 6:03 AM #21
I thought the movie was awesome.

The story was interesting, never checked my watch ones, the action was very well done (Sonny anyone?), well placed humor...

Everything was great except the acting was weak in a few scenes. Other than that, two thumbs way up.

↑ Up to the top!