Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Thief 3
Thief 3
2004-07-16, 7:11 AM #1
Hey I want the new thief game like crazy. But I don't know if my graphic card will work. I know someone here has it, so tell me if this will. It's a geforce 2 gts or something like that. I don't want to look for what it is. I have games that say that a 64mb card is required and they play very well on my system. So I'm not really sure how good it is...so anyway, does it work?

------------------
"Father to your hands I commend my spirirt. Father to your hands-Why have you forsaken me?"
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2004-07-16, 7:29 AM #2
It seems to be a very taxing game, much like all new games, but the graphics aren't exactly astounding... I didn't think the game itself was spectacular. You should play the first ones if you haven't already, but GF2GTS might not cut it. Check if there's a demo first.
2004-07-16, 7:47 AM #3
Get the demo, play it, depending on how it plays, upgrade and buy, or forget about it.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-16, 8:01 AM #4
I doubt it, your card won't have the shader capabilities needed. But try the demo at least.

Thief III IS quite gorgeous, nothing INCREDIBLE but above average of newer games I'd say. Esepcially the lighting. And yes, it's quite taxing, but still looks great with some of the effects turned down. The game itself has been awesome so far. The AI is so much better and smarter than the previous games it's not even funny.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-07-16, 10:34 AM #5
I was going to get the demo, but then I saw it was 400ish mb. and I have a 56k. I'll find a way...

------------------
"Father to your hands I commend my spirirt. Father to your hands-Why have you forsaken me?"
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2004-07-16, 12:31 PM #6
I have the demo, and it's a lot of fun to play, but the performance on my computer is horrible. Even though I can run FarCry smoothly with a lot of effects on full, Thief 3 is very choppy with all effects on low (and 640x480 resolution [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif] ). Anyone have the same problem?

------------------
Space Colony Inc. Phoenix Suburban City Dereliction
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2004-07-16, 3:27 PM #7
the quick and simple answer: NO

Thief 3 requires pixel shader support or it WILL NOT run i think it gives you a "your video card sucks" error and refuses to run

i don't like it personally but games are slowly starting to move to that... requiring pixel shader support to even run the game

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-07-16, 11:02 PM #8
I just want to throw out another "I hate you!" to Eidos for, again, taking several months to get their games to Australia. I still haven't found Thief 3, and I've checked about a dozen places.
2004-07-17, 1:00 AM #9
I threw a hefty hate you at Eidos for DX2. But realtime shadows are nice. The lightning effects in those games are good.

------------------
No signature for you.
No signature for you.
2004-07-17, 7:40 PM #10
GeForce 2 GTS won't cut it. Only Geforce3 or higher, with the exception of the GF4 MX line.

------------------
Napalm is nature's toothpaste.
2004-07-18, 6:38 AM #11
You'll definitely need a better video card.

Oh, and anyone else love the climbing gloves?
2004-07-18, 6:42 AM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Whelly:
I have the demo, and it's a lot of fun to play, but the performance on my computer is horrible. Even though I can run FarCry smoothly with a lot of effects on full, Thief 3 is very choppy with all effects on low (and 640x480 resolution [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif] ). Anyone have the same problem?

</font>

Sounds more like an imcompatibility rather than your puter not being good enough. I can run thief 3 smoothly on highest detail.. but far cry is so horribly choppy and buggy..

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-18, 8:42 AM #13
[http://imagecorner.sorrowind.net/246/4.gif]

Am I right in thinking you can finally see your own body?

------------------
Wise men say that fools rush in where angels fear to tread, so look before you leap, so to speak, because the grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-07-18, 8:59 AM #14
Yes, you can switch between 1st person and a 3rd person mode similar to Splinter Cell, in that you can rotate the camera around your body.
2004-07-18, 11:10 AM #15
And you see your hands and feet and rest of your body move, as it should look like, when in 1st person. Unfortunately they didn't animate Garret grabbing the loot...

------------------
Sorry for the lousy English
Sorry for the lousy German

↑ Up to the top!