Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Digital camera uploads w/o software
Digital camera uploads w/o software
2007-03-31, 10:29 AM #1
Is there a way to upload pictures from a digital camera without having to install any software? (via USB)

2007-03-31, 10:35 AM #2
My Computer>Camera>Drag and Drop
2007-03-31, 10:56 AM #3
What obi said works unless you have a fancy canon like an EOS 20d. Then I believe there's no way to get around software except for a card reader.
>>untie shoes
2007-03-31, 12:35 PM #4
Yeah, most cameras work exactly like flash drives... as soon as you plug them into your computer, they show up as a new drive that you can upload and download files to and from.
2007-03-31, 5:43 PM #5
It kills battery life though.

So get a power cable.
2007-03-31, 6:24 PM #6
[RIGHT]I don't really see how that was relevent. :p[/RIGHT]
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-03-31, 6:28 PM #7
[RIGHT]Wow, right alligning text. Aren't you Mr. McTricky.[/RIGHT]
2007-03-31, 8:10 PM #8
[CENTER]Am I special now?
:neckbeard:
[/CENTER]
2007-03-31, 8:28 PM #9
Originally posted by Antony:
What obi said works unless you have a fancy canon like an EOS 20d. Then I believe there's no way to get around software except for a card reader.

Why would they take away features on high end cameras?
2007-03-31, 8:33 PM #10
Because most high end cameras take photos in several different formats, and it makes it a lot easier to differentiate between each file if you use the software to import it. It has nothing to do with taking features away. Also, since the Raw format is constantly being upgraded, sometimes image programs don't understand the file type and it needs to be converted to a different file extension. Raws are also typically very large, and most people, aside from professional photographers don't want each image to be over 25mb.

It's not removing features. Also, most high end cameras aren't bloated with "user friendly" features that take away from the final image quality and battery life.
>>untie shoes
2007-03-31, 8:38 PM #11
Uh, yes, it is removing features.

They can have the software just as easily with the same drag and drop functionality as they can without it.

Your entire reasoning is shot :p
2007-03-31, 8:41 PM #12
Guess what, a Sony FDW-P900 (The HD camera on which episode 3 was shot) doesn't import footage via firewire.

Some people might consider this "removing a feature."

I consider it not including a feature that the target demographic will not use anyway.

It's the same reason my HDV camera doesn't take still photos or have digital zoom. Nobody pays 5000 dollars for a high def camera so they can take crappy photos and ruin footage with digital zoom.

Consider it removal of features if you like, I consider it disregarding of overly user friendly "features."
>>untie shoes
2007-04-01, 1:01 AM #13
Technicly it is removal of a feature.
Why can't it have it? Im sure it wouldn't be hard for the designers to simply add a couple KBs of data and add that functionality.

Or it could be that it has the pics in some wierd native format and needs to be converted.
2007-04-01, 9:09 AM #14
Bill just got clowned by Tiberium_Empire.
2007-04-01, 9:32 AM #15
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
Or it could be that it has the pics in some wierd native format and needs to be converted.

yes.

High-end digital cameras take images in higher bitdepth formats than PC-compatible formats. I think they're up to 10 bits per channel, maybe?

Computer screens can't accurately display colors with high chroma values. Basically it's why we need HDRR to make games look more realistic. 8-bit RGB is sufficient to display all of the colors the human eye can see but not nearly as many levels of intensity. Image formats like JPEG are optimized for 8-bit RGB which means a lot of low-intensity and high-intensity image data is lost.

By storing image data in this high-bitdepth format you can do postprocessing tasks like exposure adjustment without having to retake the photo. It's pretty :awesome:.

That said, the RAW 'format' is actually a nonformat which doesn't exist and can't be opened by any programs not written by the camera maker. All it does is dump raw CCD information into a file. It doesn't even have a header meaning any program opening it needs to know the resolution, width and height in pixels, bit depth and pixel format. If you say 'RAW format' around any programtician they will look at you like you have downs, no joke.
2007-04-01, 10:16 AM #16
Originally posted by Jon`C:
That said, the RAW 'format' is actually a nonformat which doesn't exist and can't be opened by any programs not written by the camera maker.

Photoshop CS and CS2 are capable of reading in raw camera data.

Edit: Although I'm sure Adobe acquired all of the major camera manufacturer's raw data specifications.
Attachment: 15916/ps_raw.gif (21,143 bytes)
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.

↑ Up to the top!