Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Chocolate Jesus.
Chocolate Jesus.
2007-03-31, 8:50 PM #1
Surely people here must have heard of of the chocolate Jesus art sculpture incident in the news few days ago.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/30/chocolate.jesus.ap/index.html

I don't even understand how certain people can follow what Christ has taught while sending violent, death threats to people. That doesn't make much sense. Has it gone to the point that you can be physically harmed by just using Jesus's image in an unorthodox way? Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it that offensive to justify claiming it as "one of the worst assaults on Christian sensibilities ever" without actually seeing it in person?

Whatever the controversy may lie, it does look delicious.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-03-31, 8:51 PM #2
Christianity is one of the worst assaults on common sense and reasoning ever.
>>untie shoes
2007-03-31, 9:00 PM #3
It's certainly uncalled for. However, the 'death threats' and such is moreso.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-03-31, 9:04 PM #4
It could easily come off as offensive. No questions about that. But the fact that the gallery and its operators has to fear for their safety worries me more.
2007-03-31, 9:04 PM #5
Your problem is that you're trying to reconcile common sense and fundamentalism when these things are mutually exclusive. That wont end well.
2007-03-31, 9:10 PM #6
It's not nearly as bad as that one modern art dude's piss jesus.

They really wanted to kill the hell out of that guy.
>>untie shoes
2007-03-31, 10:11 PM #7
You take 200 lbs of chocolate, form it into the shape of a naked man, and call it Christ? Sounds like a waste of time to me. I'm so tired of idiots who think they're cutting edge just because they do something random and call it art. That was new what, seventy, eighty years ago? Guess what? It's old and it's stupid. You're no longer saying anything, so use your brain and try your hand at actual creativity. This one's especially bad because it's just selling out on controversy.

/art rant

Smug morons. :rolleyes:

The death threat people are idiots too, because they are playing right into his hands. Guess he got a bit more than he bargained for though.
2007-03-31, 10:13 PM #8
When you appear to actually know anything about art, I'll listen to what you have to say. Until then, you're just an idiot.

Art is about saying something, whether it's original or not.

I'm not calling it the best art ever, but for the last 100 years or so, since Duchamp, it's been impossible to classify something as not-art.
>>untie shoes
2007-03-31, 10:14 PM #9
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
You take 200 lbs of chocolate, form it into the shape of a naked man, and call it Christ? Sounds like a waste of time to me. I'm so tired of idiots who think they're cutting edge just because they do something random and call it art. That was new what, seventy, eighty years ago? Guess what? It's old and it's stupid. You're no longer saying anything, so use your brain and try your hand at actual creativity. This one's especially bad because it's just selling out on controversy.

Yeah, sculptures are easy. Anyone can do life-size sculptures, I mean come ON. Let's see some actual art sometime.
2007-03-31, 10:16 PM #10
I actually think its a great look at exactly what christianity has become nowadays. I dont know how we went from crucifying jesus to chocolate bunnys and hidden eggs, but a chocolate jesus is a great way to show how that makes no since (since the only connection chocalate has to christ is on the holiday it was being released for, unless i really missed something in church). the absence of the cross and loincloth makes it very straight forward and honest saying "this is exactly what i want to do. I want to show you a chocalte jesus", and based on what i already told you I think a chocalate jesus is supposed to mean, than it feels to me like hes saying: "I really wanted to tell you how dumb i think this is".

and of course the churches reaction says even more. it says that once again when somebody wants to say something intelligent that might help us talk about how religious holidays are becoming more and more commercial (*cough *cough Christmas *cough Holloween) the church completly doesn't get it and decides to focus on the same old thing they always do:

Sex and Threatening people.

Attachment: 15908/jesus_sausage.gif (9,648 bytes)
(\_/)
(o.o)
(")(")
The bunny sees all,
the bunny knows all,
the bunny is always watching.
2007-03-31, 10:30 PM #11
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
;803694']Yeah, sculptures are easy. Anyone can do life-size sculptures, I mean come ON. Let's see some actual art sometime.

Yeah, I made like six sculptures last week. And I wasn't even trying.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2007-03-31, 10:31 PM #12
I'm taking a sculpture class next semester... maybe I can make a jesus out of horse crap and people will riot.
>>untie shoes
2007-03-31, 11:06 PM #13
personally i got a huge kick out of this, and i am a very religious person. seriously, if you look at the way Jesus lived his life according to the bible, HE would have probably thought it was funny. i mean c'mon his first miracle in the bible was a glorified beer run, (or a wine run rather) the guy obviously had a sense of humor. his first comment would probably have been "can i have a bite?" what i would really like to see is a chocolate Muhammad. now THAT would raise some hell.
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2007-03-31, 11:11 PM #14
:neckbeard: :neckbeard: :neckbeard: :neckbeard:
(\_/)
(o.o)
(")(")
The bunny sees all,
the bunny knows all,
2007-03-31, 11:31 PM #15
Ahahaha damn you Americans are nuts.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-03-31, 11:37 PM #16
Quote:
Ahahaha damn you Americans are nuts.

You know... i stopped to think about how often youve said that, and it only lead me to realize how often weve given you the opportunity to. Im beggining to think your right.

At least our news is never boring. :downs:
(\_/)
(o.o)
(")(")
The bunny sees all,
the bunny knows all,
2007-03-31, 11:38 PM #17
I don't understand why the human body is so offensive.
2007-03-31, 11:38 PM #18
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
I don't understand why the human body is so offensive.

because poop comes out of it. :downs:
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2007-03-31, 11:41 PM #19
"Well, you see we're Catholic."

"Ah, then you want You're a Naughty Boy and That's Concentrated Evil Coming Out the Back of You."
2007-04-01, 12:51 AM #20
Obligatory Tom Waits reference: Chocolate Jesus
2007-04-01, 12:57 AM #21
This is why i abandoned christianity.
2007-04-01, 6:25 AM #22
It's old and it's stupid. You're no longer saying anything, so use your brain and try your hand at actual creativity. This one's especially bad because it's just selling out on controversy.

That's silly. It could say a lot. And seeing that people interpreted in so many different ways, from the church to the gallery people, the art piece is clearly not just a chocolate sculpture anymore. If it was just "selling out on controversy" and made to piss people off, it wouldn't have been agreed to be placed in a public gallery.
2007-04-01, 6:46 AM #23
Is it wrong that I want to eat teh Jesus?
2007-04-01, 7:15 AM #24
Yes, considering it has a wang.
nope.
2007-04-01, 9:58 AM #25
I think it was unwise to make a chocolate Jesus, and whoever did it may not have put enough thought into how offensive some people would take it.

It comes across as being a bit blasphemous in my opinion, and I'm not even uber conservative.
2007-04-01, 10:47 AM #26
lol christianity :downs:
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-04-01, 11:08 AM #27
Originally posted by Axis:
I think it was unwise to make a chocolate Jesus, and whoever did it may not have put enough thought into how offensive some people would take it.

It comes across as being a bit blasphemous in my opinion, and I'm not even uber conservative.
But all those crazy Muslims were overreacting to those stupid little Muhammad cartoons, right?
2007-04-01, 11:42 AM #28
I'm more offended by the fact it looks like Imhotep the dark priest of pestilence.

Also, since when was Jesus bald?
2007-04-01, 12:22 PM #29
Originally posted by Echoman:
That's silly. It could say a lot. And seeing that people interpreted in so many different ways, from the church to the gallery people, the art piece is clearly not just a chocolate sculpture anymore. If it was just "selling out on controversy" and made to piss people off, it wouldn't have been agreed to be placed in a public gallery.

Call me cynical, but I can't help but think that his motives were totally of artistic nature. Now he's famous at least with-in his art community, and it'll probably end up making him a lot of money one way or the other. Stuff like this just seems like another Fahrenheit 9/11 to me. I'm glad he at least put some effort into it. I really hate those randomly glued together pieces of steel that cities waste tax payer's money on.

Originally posted by money•:
I'm more offended by the fact it looks like Imhotep the dark priest of pestilence.

Also, since when was Jesus bald?

Probably since it's really hard to sculpt hair out of chocolate. What I'm confused about is the cross. With out that it's just some random guy he decided to call Jesus.
2007-04-01, 4:09 PM #30
Maybe the lack of a crucifix is another comment on the secularization of Easter?
2007-04-01, 4:15 PM #31
Well, seeing that his arms are positioned like that, it's not hard to associate it with Jesus, even without the cross.

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/Echoness101/christfrontpage.jpg]
2007-04-01, 4:16 PM #32
"And I don't care what people are saying Uptown or wherever they are. This Jesus will be chocolate at the end of the day." - an excerpt from mayor Ray Nagin's latest speech...

oh man am i going to hear about it now, :psyduck:
2007-04-01, 4:16 PM #33
Probably since it's really hard to sculpt hair out of chocolate. What I'm confused about is the cross. With out that it's just some random guy he decided to call Jesus.

Right, cus Jesus didn't do anything but get nailed to a tree.

The Artist was obviously trying to comment on how we have missed the chocolately sweetness of Jesus' admonition to love one another, and instead focus on the fact that it's a life size Jesus made out of chocolate.

On a side note, I never understood why the portrayed Jesus as this emaciated guy when they show him. He was a carpenter/boat builder. Even three years of preaching did not negate his profession and conditioning.
Epstein didn't kill himself.

↑ Up to the top!