Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Allright, its time for a new browser
Allright, its time for a new browser
2004-07-17, 5:57 AM #1
I've decided to start looking into other browsers. Currently I use the most recent IE (ya, I know, thats likely to get me shot around here) but I'm starting to look into other options. Right now, some suggestions and opinions would be nice.

Heres what I found:

• Netscape is the browser I used to use at school, and is the browser I used on the old 486 years ago. I know it has tabbed browsing, but as far as other features though, it seemed limited.
  • Mozilla and Firefox seem pretty dang good, but I've got some questions, such as Mozillas cost and the differences between Firefox and Mozillas browser. From what I read, Firefox's browser seemed to have more features and was better overall than Mozillas, but that made no sense.
  • Maxthon is, from what I gather, mainly a huge IE upgrade, adding a lot of new features and making it much more flexable.

Those are the big ones I've found, but frankly, I need some advise. I know we've got some people here who use these browsers, so what do you think of them?

And one big thing, I'd perfer it to be free. Heck, I could live with IE, but I'd like to have more features than the skimpy ones it has.
2004-07-17, 5:59 AM #2
Opera.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-17, 5:59 AM #3
To be the first to say it, go with FireFox it's a good free browser that works to get the job done

------------------
<S51> Give a man a sandwich and you'll feed him for an hour, teach him to make a sandwich and he'll get pissed, hit you and tell you to make him another sandwich.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-07-17, 6:04 AM #4
Anything but netscape.

------------------
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-07-17, 6:09 AM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
Opera.</font>

I know about Opera, but I'm running really really low on money right now, and if I can get something that does basically the same thing for free, I'm going to get the free one.
2004-07-17, 6:26 AM #6
Firefox, or the Mozilla legacy suite if you need an integrated mail client. They are both free (as in beer, and as in speech) and will do the trick nicely.

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-07-17, 6:30 AM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MBeggar:
Anything but netscape.

</font>

------------------
What.
2004-07-17, 6:30 AM #8
Isn't opera free?

------------------
"Dalton, that pie just moved of it's own accord."

"You must be mistaken, Tess. A pie can't move."
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-07-17, 6:34 AM #9
yeah, but i think it comes with an unremovable ad unless you pay for it...

------------------
yay for not posting much ever
2004-07-17, 6:38 AM #10
Yep, but quite frankly it's worth it.

Opera is a joy to use, and if you're researching in your browsing, it's unbeatable. Even better than Firefox. Which is also very good.

See that fence, yeah, that's me astride it.

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-07-17, 6:44 AM #11
Personally, I'd go with Firefox. But my suggestion is download both Firefox and Opera, and force yourself to use both over the span of two days. Firefox one day, Opera the other. Then decide which you like better and go with it.

------------------
2004-07-17, 6:50 AM #12
I use firefox with a couple of extensions and I like it.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-07-17, 6:50 AM #13
Firefox. Opera is OK but its chunky interface annoys me. Firefox wins on features, customisation and speed.

Firefox > *.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!
----@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-07-17, 6:55 AM #14
Opera does everything I want it to, with the options to remove everything I dont want it to.

Yeah, Opera [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-07-17, 6:56 AM #15
Opera's interface isn't chunky is it? Mine's skinny and nice! Also I prefer the feel of opera's mouse gesture recognition better.

*falls off the fence by the look of it*

But yeah, try em both: that's what I did. In fact I still use firefox too.

*Back on fence, oh yeah! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]*

------------------
2004-07-17, 7:12 AM #16
Going from IE to Opera is weird. I couldn't do anything. It's like an entire new interface. FireFox is alot more user friendly, sexy, and it doesn't take up 9/10th of your bloody screen.

------------------
Haggis: "For God's sake, snap out of it man! That bottle is empty! It's been empty since the first day we got to this godforsaken place and you drank it all! You're losing touch with reality!"
Otter stares at Haggis, a suspicious expression on his face.
Otter: "You just want my whiskey! I'm on to you!"
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-17, 7:15 AM #17
I have never ever ever ever used any form of "mouse gestures" while browsing. I have gone by years by just hitting the thumb button or "backspace" key.

That said, I recommend Firefox.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-07-17, 7:16 AM #18
Like I said SAJN, my opera screen is slimmer than my firefox or (from distant memory) my IE one.

Doesn't take a minute to make it slim and sexy.

------------------
2004-07-17, 9:36 AM #19
The only thing that I dont like about Firefox, is that under linux it uses your current GTK theme. Because of that, and my use of KDE, it doesnt look the same as the rest of the apps that I use (although its not the only GTK2 app I use, they are few and far between).

The other day, I realized that Opera uses QT... Hmm, I thought, it might use my current QT theme! So, I downloaded it. 6 times. The first 5 segfaulted on start...
After it ran, and I reailized that it wouldnt use my current QT theme, that it would, in fact, use its own horribly UGLY theme. I quickly deleted any and all traces of it off of my system.

Its not that the theme was the only think I dislike about it... For one, I dont like its rendering engine. I dont like the way pages "feel" under it. I dont like its controls. I dont like its menu layout. And, of course, it lacks Radial context menus.

------------------
2004-07-17, 12:35 PM #20
GBK, what's QT (for simple folk like me)?

Oh, and does anyone have screenshots of these radial menus? I kinda imagine them to look like what happened when I pressed my middle mouse button with my old logitech mouse...

------------------
2004-07-17, 12:47 PM #21
The think I don't like about firefox is that the icons at the top are too big. It looks like was made for 80 year olds or something

------------------
2004-07-17, 12:55 PM #22
Well, here's looking at you from Firefox. Still have some questions though. Mozilla is supposed to have an HTML editors kit or something to that accord. I'm hiring out doing web pages, and what advantages would that give me? I couldn't find anything on the site.

And for those of you who dont like Opera, what is it you don't like besides the interface? I've heard that it supposedly has more features and is a better browser than just about anything else.
2004-07-17, 12:57 PM #23
You can get themes for it, mine are real tiny... covers about 40 pixels up top before the page starts... and I could make it less by removing the links bar, but I like it. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

I use Firefox, new theme and a mouse gesture thing.. used for back/forward when I'm lazy.
2004-07-17, 1:44 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:
The think I don't like about firefox is that the icons at the top are too big. It looks like was made for 80 year olds or something

</font>

Right click on the icons, then click cutomize. A check box for small icons is at the bottom.

------------------
"Church, women are like Voltron, the more you can hook up, the better it gets!"
-Tucker
Red vs Blue

Ph34r t3h Cute Ones
"I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."

-Calvin
2004-07-17, 3:38 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Clueless_of_Morg:
Right click on the icons, then click cutomize. A check box for small icons is at the bottom.

</font>

The joys of actually poking around in the software you use.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-07-17, 4:10 PM #26
[http://shauri.hopto.org/cooker/radialcontext.png]

Seeing it is one thing, using it is another... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

Also, thats /my/ version that I hacked together to have 2 refresh buttons instead of the scroll menu... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Martyn:
GBK, what's QT (for simple folk like me)?</font>

QT . . . the toolkit that KDE is based on...

------------------
2004-07-17, 4:33 PM #27
Come on GBK, I e-mailed you weeks ago about the unified QT-GTK theming engine... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Please send me e-mail...
2004-07-17, 4:59 PM #28
Yeah, actually, I just grabbed it from CVS. Its . . interesting . . . not perfect, but . . interesting... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
2004-07-17, 10:17 PM #29
So pretty! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

I may lookee after work!

Cheers!

------------------
2004-07-18, 12:56 AM #30
I use FireFox, and it suits me fine. I'd recommend it to anyone, but I'm not declaring it to be the best, because quite honestly, I don't know. I've never used mouse guestures, because I have a 4 button mouse, and I use the buttons on the side for backwards and forwards. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2004-07-18, 5:25 AM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
Opera.

</font>

------------------
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2004-07-18, 6:20 AM #32
I use Firefox, its decent enough.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-07-18, 6:31 AM #33
I use Firefox most often, but I use Opera and IE too. I only use IE when I visit a certain website that only has its sexiest interface when IE is used.
2004-07-18, 5:09 PM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mystic0:
Come on GBK, I e-mailed you weeks ago about the unified QT-GTK theming engine... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
</font>

http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/gtk-qt

For those who don't know.

------------------
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2004-07-18, 5:21 PM #35
I'm using firefox atm, with extensions to make it feel like Opera. For some reason, opera was displaying pages horribly in my new KDE environment.

↑ Up to the top!