Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Stargate Worlds......
Stargate Worlds......
2007-04-03, 6:51 PM #1
Anybody else see this.....?

Stargate Worlds

My friend, Mike, sent me a link to this the other day. Prior to that I had no clue that they were making a Stargate game. :downs:

I think if they do a good job developing the game it will be an awesome MMORPG once it is finished. Right now it is too early to say... Screenies look sweet though...

What do you all think? :colbert:
2007-04-03, 7:06 PM #2
kyle90 won't shut up about it
2007-04-03, 7:14 PM #3
Actually what I wouldn't shut up about is Stargate Universe, which is the new series that's starting next year.

Not that a stargate MMO wouldn't kick all kinds of ***.
Stuff
2007-04-03, 7:16 PM #4
OMG THERE YOU GO AGAIN
2007-04-03, 7:43 PM #5
Tell us about Stargate Universe kyle90.

And the MMO

:D
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-04-03, 10:19 PM #6
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2007/03/third_series_is_istargate_univer.shtml

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2007/03/iuniversei_deals_with_ninth_chev.shtml
Pissed Off?
2007-04-04, 5:57 AM #7
Damn it, everytime i really wanna see something my IE acts up and im left with server not found. i hate this cheap *** work comp.

Nevertheless, you can bet your nerdy asses ill be right there on that game killing Goaould from day one if i can ever get me a comp that can play it.

(is that even how you spell it? i have no ****ing clue...)

Or better yet, maybe you can BE a goaould. or even a tokra.:D
(\_/)
(o.o)
(")(")
The bunny sees all,
the bunny knows all,
the bunny is always watching.
2007-04-04, 7:54 AM #8
Originally posted by JoKeR SwAy:

Or better yet, maybe you can BE a goaould. or even a tokra.:D

According to the interview at The Escapist, players can play as a Goa'uld. :P
2007-04-04, 8:49 AM #9
Your URL doesn't work unless you add the www. at the start.
nope.
2007-04-04, 9:27 AM #10
I mean, I love stargate, but this game looks awful.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-04-04, 9:50 AM #11
Originally posted by fishstickz:

kinda agreed
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2007-04-04, 12:00 PM #12
Originally posted by fishstickz:

How so? Please explain... :colbert:
2007-04-04, 12:36 PM #13
it has potential, but if they don't do it right it'll be a major flop.

The biggest thing they'll have to content with is of course the stargate... letting players travel from world to world, will it be instanced? other worlds are dungeons? will you be able to travel from world to world at any given time, will the gate simply be in an instanced zone?

if they pull of the stargate well then i think the game might do well among stargate fans but only so-so with sci-fi/mmorpg fans.
The Gas Station
2007-04-04, 2:36 PM #14
You should start knowing only the addresses of planets you can handle for your level, and they should get more challenging farther away from the gate itself, and as you progress through the plot you find more addresses for the tougher planets. thats how i think it should be done.
(\_/)
(o.o)
(")(")
The bunny sees all,
the bunny knows all,
2007-04-04, 3:45 PM #15
Originally posted by JoKeR SwAy:
You should start knowing only the addresses of planets you can handle for your level, and they should get more challenging farther away from the gate itself, and as you progress through the plot you find more addresses for the tougher planets. thats how i think it should be done.

indeed
you should actually have to dial address to go to other worlds.. not just go up to the gate and choose a world... as you progress through the game could come across other addreess to other worlds or other players could enlighten you as to other gate addresses... something like that
2007-04-04, 5:14 PM #16
No. Within a day, there'd be websites with lists of every stargate address. I think that quests that give addresses as rewards would work better.

Otherwise, you'd have a high level party give gate addresses to lower level people, and they'd just powerlevel up.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-04-04, 6:25 PM #17
But if the game could keep track of which addresses were revealed to a character and prevent you from dialing them, then gating to a planet that's way past your level shouldn't be an issue.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2007-04-04, 6:27 PM #18
But granting you addresses after quests would do the same thing with less effort. and if the game had to "verify" your access everytime you went to a new world, world jumping as a whole would slow down.
(\_/)
(o.o)
(")(")
The bunny sees all,
the bunny knows all,
2007-04-04, 6:58 PM #19
Or everyone could get different symbols for each address. They put it in, clientside code figures if they hve the right code, and then serverside doesn't have to do anything but recognize that they are allowed to go tere.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2007-04-04, 9:19 PM #20
Or you could save a week of programming and just give them out as rewards. :p
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-04-04, 9:38 PM #21
Of course a serverside check would be required. Haven't you people heard of packet editing?

o.0
2007-04-04, 10:36 PM #22
Did anybody notice that this site has a link to the page you are already looking at?

Attachment: 15949/post.bmp (96,798 bytes)
(\_/)
(o.o)
(")(")
The bunny sees all,
the bunny knows all,

↑ Up to the top!