Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Ram problem...
Ram problem...
2007-04-04, 9:52 AM #1
I didn't see a Tech board, so I guess I just post this here.

So, I got new RAM from Newegg, G Skill DDR2 533 1GB x2 to be exact. I was running 1GB of some old DDR RAM in my gaming comp, so I thought it was time to upgrade. I install the RAM, and everything works fine; the BIOS recognizes it, and Windows is running great. I start Oblivion to really test it out, and it seems to load fine, but after a couple minutes (exploring the world and talking to people), it locks up completely and I hear a screeching sound.

I've tried it over and over, and I get the same thing after a few minutes. Sometimes I get a sound loop instead of a screech. I've tried Stalker as well, and Stalker can't even get past the loading screen without completely locking up. I don't see why it would be doing this... I double checked my motherboard to make sure it would support this kind of ram, and there should be no reason why it shouldn't be working.

I did memcheck, and it passed five times with no errors. I've switched out the new RAM to another computer, and it works fine. I switched in some older DDR2 RAM from another computer to make sure the slots were working, and it worked fine. It has to be a compatibility issue, but I don't know what. Is it voltage? I messed around with my voltage settings, and I think it made it crash earlier. I'm sure I have an ample power supply, or else the other sticks of RAM wouldn't work. I tried testing each stick of RAM seperately, and it still crashes in the same amount of time. Any ideas?
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2007-04-04, 10:57 AM #2
Well, I do know that G Skill is just totally crap RAM...
2007-04-04, 11:26 AM #3
It could be voltage...that is weird. G Skill is actually decent RAM. I don't know what could be causing this, honestly.
D E A T H
2007-04-04, 9:19 PM #4
Could be the hard drive, video card, OS... doesn't necessarily have to be memory. Find someone with spare parts and start swapping until stuff works.

2007-04-04, 9:31 PM #5
Dodges suck.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ

↑ Up to the top!