Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Speed of Sound
The Speed of Sound
2007-04-05, 8:43 AM #1
Quick question:

I know sound travels at slightly different speeds through air depending on the temperature. Is this also true when sound travels through fluids?
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2007-04-05, 8:46 AM #2
I believe sound travels more quickly through more dense substances... so since something would become more dense at a colder temperature, sound would travel faster.

I may be completely off base though. It's been a long time since Physics.
>>untie shoes
2007-04-05, 10:04 AM #3
Since gases and liquids are both fluids, I would imagine that such is true.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-04-05, 10:12 AM #4
I did say fluids. I meant liquids.

Antony, that's what I was thinking too, but didn't know for sure.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2007-04-05, 11:00 AM #5
Originally posted by Antony:
I believe sound travels more quickly through more dense substances... so since something would become more dense at a colder temperature, sound would travel faster.

I may be completely off base though. It's been a long time since Physics.

Kinda

Sound travels faster through STIFFER substances but slower through more DENSE substances. The general equation is

the speed = sqrt (C/rho)

where C is the coefficient of stiffness and rho is the density as always.

For more specific complicated stuff that I don't remember/understand anymore you prolly want to read the Wiki page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound
一个大西瓜
2007-04-05, 11:05 AM #6
I think that's why sound travels through glass EXTREMELY fast.
D E A T H
2007-04-05, 11:08 AM #7
343 m/s @ 20C in air
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2007-04-05, 2:20 PM #8
I don't care for Coldplay.

↑ Up to the top!