Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So it goes.
So it goes.
2007-04-12, 9:56 PM #1
Kurt Vonnegut died yesterday. I was reading "Breakfast of Champions" when I found out. I'm kind of torn up about it.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-04-12, 11:23 PM #2
:(

Yet I've only read Slaughterhouse-Five, but that was really neat.

RIP
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-04-13, 12:05 AM #3
Kirby and I already discussed this.

The man was a genius. He should have gone out in a blaze of drunken glory.... who dies from falling in the shower anyway?

Vonnegut should have died while stealing a schoolbus full of ninjas with a really awesome bruce springsteen song playing at fifty thousand watts in the background. And he would have been drunk at the time. And probably giving someone the finger.

That's Kurt Vonnegut.
>>untie shoes
2007-04-13, 2:20 AM #4
I just read his autobiography the other day. I highly reccomend it to anyone who is a fan of his work. It made me cry, it was that good.
2007-04-13, 5:36 AM #5
I really need to read some Vonnegut. My sister (a book reading type) loves him. He also wrote my favorite joke.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-04-13, 8:09 AM #6
Originally posted by Antony:
He should have gone out in a blaze of drunken glory.... who dies from falling in the shower anyway?

I don't know. Falling in the shower sounds like the kind of anti-romanticized and absurd death that you'd find in one of his books.
2007-04-13, 8:57 AM #7
I just finished reading "Man Without Country" the other night, and I have to say, it certainly seemed like he was ready to go. Kurt Vonnegut is in heaven now.
2007-04-13, 8:59 AM #8
I'd never heard of him until someone said he died in #massassi yesterday.

Oh well.
nope.
2007-04-13, 9:09 AM #9
Originally posted by Wuss:
I don't know. Falling in the shower sounds like the kind of anti-romanticized and absurd death that you'd find in one of his books.

Haha.. that's true. He's probably "looking down" right now (or whatever) and saying "man, that's funny."
>>untie shoes
2007-04-13, 9:33 AM #10
A couple people on other forums are all saying how happy they are that he's in heaven. I giggled, because none of them read Man Without a Country. That's his favorite joke.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-04-13, 9:45 AM #11
Originally posted by JediKirby:
A couple people on other forums are all saying how happy they are that he's in heaven. I giggled, because none of them read Man Without a Country. That's his favorite joke.

A lot of the material for that book is taken word for word from talks that he used to give at colleges and such. I saw him give a talk when he was selected the state author for New York State... he talked about being the president of the humanist society, and also the bit about representing various different literary works as graphs. He was a pretty funny guy in person.
2007-04-13, 10:32 AM #12
I've only read Cat's Cradle. Good stuff though.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2007-04-13, 10:44 AM #13
There's a really good interview (also pretty recent, I think) with him. He's a fascinating person. http://mcsweeneys.net/2007/4/12vonnegut.html
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-04-13, 11:09 AM #14
Originally posted by Bobbert:
I've only read Cat's Cradle. Good stuff though.

Same here. Great, great book. Over the summer I want to try and read some of his other work.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.

↑ Up to the top!