Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Best place to buy a (replacement) cell phone?
Best place to buy a (replacement) cell phone?
2007-04-15, 7:27 PM #1
Mine stopped working...I'm going to stop by US Cellular tomorrow and see if they'll do anything about it, but I'm not holding my breath. Any recommendations on where to look? I'm a bit leery of eBay..but I might give it a shot.
woot!
2007-04-15, 7:37 PM #2
Chinatown/ebay/overseas, don't waste your money buying it at retail price. Unlocked phones are better and cheaper.
2007-04-15, 7:59 PM #3
Definitely not looking to pay retail - if I wanted to do that, I could just buy one from the retail location..

I don't think these are GSM, though - can't remember what the network type is called..
woot!
2007-04-15, 8:15 PM #4
ebay..buy one unlocked.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2007-04-15, 8:22 PM #5
Yeah, ebay or try and find a local deal.
2007-04-15, 8:34 PM #6
I work for CompUSA, and all the stores in my area are closing down (los angeles, orange county, and san diego).

All phones (including unlocked) are 40% off of the retail.
My store is down to 1 unlocked phone (the Moto Ming), but if there are any others near you, check em out.

However, you can probably get a better deal online.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2007-04-15, 8:44 PM #7
No CompUSAs up here at all.

I think I may have found one, though...link...though apparently, the battery life on those is terrible.
woot!
2007-04-15, 8:48 PM #8
Originally posted by Veger:
I work for CompUSA, and all the stores in my area are closing down (los angeles, orange county, and san diego).

All phones (including unlocked) are 40% off of the retail.
My store is down to 1 unlocked phone (the Moto Ming), but if there are any others near you, check em out.

However, you can probably get a better deal online.

All of the CompUSA stores around here are closing too.

Who cares. Those douche bags always just talk about how "if u had linux ur system would run better."
>>untie shoes
2007-04-15, 9:05 PM #9
Hey, the CompUSA around here closed down too recently. What's the deal, running out of business?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-04-15, 9:15 PM #10
Originally posted by JLee:
No CompUSAs up here at all.

I think I may have found one, though...link...though apparently, the battery life on those is terrible.

I had a Motorola V220 and it was absolutely terrible. I had it just over two years (my contract is for three), and I got to the point where I simply couldn't use it for the remaining months and bought another phone (used).

Battery life was horrible, volume was never loud enough, it had this weird problem where out of nowhere the phone would "reboot" and disconnect any call or operation in progress. I know I had a v220 and this is a v710, but it looks similar so they were probably designed around the same time. Personally, I'd stay away.
2007-04-16, 12:34 AM #11
the restarting problem is probably due to a loose battery connection.

As for getting a new phone bestbet would probably be ebay. just remember to follow the usual rules about safe buying on ebay and make sure of the type of network US Cellular uses. I seem to think they're using GSM but Idont remember for sure. Just remember that the network matters. a GSM phone will not work on a CDMA phone for example or vica versa. and make sure its unlocked as applicable.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2007-04-16, 12:35 AM #12

As for getting a new phone bestbet would probably be ebay. just remember to follow the usual rules about safe buying on ebay and make sure of the type of network US Cellular uses. I seem to think they're using GSM but Idont remember for sure. Just remember that the network matters. a GSM phone will not work on a CDMA phone for example or vica versa. and make sure its unlocked as applicable.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2007-04-16, 12:43 AM #13
Originally posted by Antony:
Who cares. Those douche bags always just talk about how "if u had linux ur system would run better."

If anything, the running joke in my store is PC vs Mac. Since Linux isn't something you'll find on our shelf, it's not really a topic of conversation.

[edit] CompUSA is closing just over 50% of its stores hoping to get a 400 million dollar cash influx. So all the stores that make the company money (there were alot of crappy stores in terms of sales / revenue), are being closed down. My store was # 20ish in the company, San Diego was like # 10 or 15. But they're closing down everything in the area because they can't advertise for 2 good stores for all of southern California. [/edit]
60% of the questions I get at work are "why is the store closing"
so I'm used to answering it :P
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2007-04-16, 12:54 AM #14
Me and the woman went in yesterday to get a reem of paper.

She mentioned the fact that she uses a mac and is therefore kind of a red-headed stepchild in the computer world. The dude then professed his love for linux and appeared to have no idea what he was talking about.

He said "I just like to have a computer that works."

I said "You do realize it's pretty easy to keep a windows machine working right?"

His response "Dude... there's no way to keep a windows machine running.. they just randomly crash."

My response "Baby, let's go. This guy is a ****ing idiot. We need to leave this failure of a store."
>>untie shoes
2007-04-16, 1:35 AM #15
Originally posted by Antony:
Me and the woman went in yesterday to get a reem of paper.

She mentioned the fact that she uses a mac and is therefore kind of a red-headed stepchild in the computer world. The dude then professed his love for linux and appeared to have no idea what he was talking about.

He said "I just like to have a computer that works."

I said "You do realize it's pretty easy to keep a windows machine working right?"

His response "Dude... there's no way to keep a windows machine running.. they just randomly crash."

My response "Baby, let's go. This guy is a ****ing idiot. We need to leave this failure of a store."

Maybe he hasn't used a Windows PC since Windows 98.
2007-04-16, 4:20 AM #16
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:

It's CDMA. I'll keep an eye out & see what I can find.
woot!

↑ Up to the top!