Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → IM Clients/IRC
IM Clients/IRC
2007-04-17, 5:19 PM #1
After the frustrations of working with Gaim (Now called "Pidgin") and trying to use it as IRC and an instant messaging client, I decided I had enough. I can't have The Gimp and Gaim installed at the same time for some reason due to a GTK library problem, and I have no knowledge how to fix it. I also can't use IRC commands like I normally would in say, mIRC.

So, I ask you Massassi, which IM clients do you use? Do you know of any that would work fine with Windows that would have an IRC protocol with other instant messaging protocols?

Or should I just suck it up and download mIRC again?
2007-04-17, 5:21 PM #2
Trillian supports AIM, ICQ, MSN, Y!, and IRC. I used to use it for IM and IRC. It's a pretty good program.
2007-04-17, 5:23 PM #3
Get mIRC again.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-04-17, 5:23 PM #4
I used it once, a long time ago. They wanted me to go premium for some reason all the time.

I'm sorry to admit I'm lazy, but is there any IRC controls (i.e. supressing useless messages, kicking people via right-click menu, etc.)?

Am I also able to use aliases for people on the buddy list?
2007-04-17, 5:28 PM #5
If I recall correctly, the IRC controls are pretty much the same in Trillian as they are in mIRC, you can pretty much do what you asked. It only has basic controls though, you can't easily do scripts and other advanced things like with mIRC. And yes, you can have aliases in your buddy list.

I stopped using trillian for IRC because mIRC gives you a lot more options and control. But for basic stuff in IRC, trillian will work fine.
2007-04-17, 5:32 PM #6
I used to have a fully scripted mIRC program back when I was a scriptkid...er...

Anyways, I don't feel like doing all of that again, and only need basic controls.
2007-04-17, 5:39 PM #7
i have no problem with gaim, ive used it for years with no problems. its IRC functions are a bit lame, so i just use it for AIM. mIRC for IRC.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2007-04-17, 5:46 PM #8
I use Chatzilla these days. (The Firefox IRC plugin).

It actually works.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2007-04-17, 6:22 PM #9
I use an annoying script over mirc.

Sometimes I use massassi's java applet.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2007-04-17, 7:49 PM #10
Trillian and mIRC for me.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2007-04-17, 7:53 PM #11
I just use DeadAim and mIRC.

Those McDoall programs are mostly pointless.
2007-04-17, 7:55 PM #12
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
Trillian and mIRC for me.

dot
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2007-04-17, 8:04 PM #13
When it comes to Gaim, use the latest 2.0 beta. Download the version without GTK, same for the GIMP. Install GTK yourself, separately. Google "gtk installer" and you'll find something useful.

Also, X-Chat 2 is a very nice IRC client, albeit GTK as well. There is a version that has no GTK, but also one with an embedded GTK that does not conflict with other installations.

Trillian has some decent functionality, but the non-native widgets and stupid skins drive me nuts. Skins that look native don't count, either.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-04-17, 10:39 PM #14
I use trillian for everything but IRC, which I use mIRC for.

There are right click menus for almost everything, and it's super easy to use out of the box. The "buy me" thing you wait 3 or 4 seconds and then hit "go away" and it goes away.

I use Trillian Pro 3.1, I think, which works fine for me for AIM/MSN/Yahoo/Jabber/ICQ.

Even though I don't have any ICQ contacts. >.>
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-04-17, 11:33 PM #15
I used to have an AIM account, then lost the password and had no idea what email I used to get it so that one's dead. I never really check MSN either. So it's all about the mIRCing.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-04-18, 12:14 AM #16
Originally posted by ORJ_JoS:
I use Chatzilla these days. (The Firefox IRC plugin).

It actually works.

Did for me too in my XP days. Nice and easy :)
2007-04-18, 6:36 AM #17
Originally posted by DSettahr:
Trillian supports AIM, ICQ, MSN, Y!, and IRC. I used to use it for IM and IRC. It's a pretty good program.

"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-04-18, 8:08 AM #18
Miranda IM is my favorite windows IM program. It supports every protocol I've ever needed, including really nice IRC support. The reason I love it is how minimalistic it is, yet it had all the features of Trillian. Trillian was too bubbly for me and not as customizable, plus Miranda IM can be portable for a flash drive.
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2007-04-18, 8:32 AM #19
I like trillian, especially with the next version on the way. Although it may be bloated, you dont have to install the software for each client. I only have Aim, MSN, and IRC on my trillian.

And Vegie, you can put trillian on a flash drive ;)
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2007-04-18, 11:01 AM #20
^

Trillian +1

2007-04-18, 9:11 PM #21
Yeah, I use Trillian too. (For AIM though. I still have mIRC for the rare occasions I go into the chat)
一个大西瓜
2007-04-18, 10:04 PM #22
Originally posted by MBeggar:
And Vegie, you can put trillian on a flash drive ;)

Oh, cool. I still would use Miranda on Windows. :) I use Kopete and XChat right now.
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2007-04-19, 3:44 AM #23
I use trillian for everything but IRC for which I use X-Chat.

Though, I haven't checked out IRC in trillian astra yet.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2007-04-19, 3:59 AM #24
I use Gaim for AIM and XChat for IRC. I've never had any motivation to check out anything other than gaim. XChat is a very nice program.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus

↑ Up to the top!