Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Linux killed my baby...
Linux killed my baby...
2007-04-18, 5:37 AM #1
ok now im pissed of.

I tried to run Ubuntu on my spare HDD that i ve had sitting in my pc for the last couple of months. so i download the iso and check the file integrity using md5sum as recommended on the ubuntu website it comes back as ok so i burn the cd restart and try to boot from CD, the ubuntu menu appears and i select (i forget what it say, boot from CD?). the CD spins in the drive for a moment before i get a popup saying something along the lines of "cannot read from boot device" so i press restart and try aboot into windows thinking the CD must have burned wrong.

Now comes the big problem, windows wont start, safe mode, last known good config, none of it works i persist in trying to get my PC started eventually it gets into windows and runs a scandisk which shows several unreadable sectors of my main hard drive (not the one i wanted to put linux on). and when i get into windows all my cookies, favorites, passwords, settings ETC have disappeared. i try and do a system restore but this has no effect..

so yeah guess im pretty pissed off
2007-04-18, 5:43 AM #2
sounds like a bad hard drive.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2007-04-18, 5:45 AM #3
System Restore only stores drivers, registry settings (I THINK) and EXE/DLL files. It wouldn't have an effect on IE/Firefox temp files or settings.

I find it more likely your HD just decided to up and fail coincidentally.

2007-04-18, 7:05 AM #4
CONSPIRACY!
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-04-18, 8:48 AM #5
If you never got to a point where you could install ubuntu, I doubt it caused the problem. Sucks bad, though :(
2007-04-18, 2:51 PM #6
And thus i stopped downloading that Ubuntu iso.
Thanks.
2007-04-18, 10:51 PM #7
no seriously te, you should download it.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2007-04-18, 11:09 PM #8
Originally posted by sum1givusaname:
it gets into windows and runs a scandisk which shows several unreadable sectors of my main hard drive (not the one i wanted to put linux on)

There is absolutely no way that Linux LiveCD was the problem.

Modern hard drives actually have a number of reserved sectors on them. When a write fails, the hard drive flags the sector as 'bad' and it remaps one of its reserved sectors to that one. That way your hard drive doesn't fail right away.

So, what happened here is that all of your reserved sectors have been used up. Which means the problem has been going on for a while. You need to replace that hard drive pronto.

Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
And thus i stopped downloading that Ubuntu iso.
Thanks.
get out

↑ Up to the top!