Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Ubuntu 7.04 Official Release
Ubuntu 7.04 Official Release
2007-04-19, 9:11 AM #1
http://www.ubuntu.com/

So Feisty Fawn is released, has anyone been using the early releases? Planning to upgrade? I'm planning to reinstall it on my laptop rather than just upgrading. I have it kind of bogged down right now. I've messed with 7.04 a bit and it has a lot of nice improvements.
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2007-04-19, 10:13 AM #2
I haven't been following it as much as the other releases, but I remember some talk about putting ATI and NVIDIA closed-source drivers on the LiveCD. Did this ever materialize?
2007-04-19, 11:04 AM #3
i think ill give a go with hopefully better results than last time.
2007-04-19, 11:06 AM #4
@Jonsee
No, but they have an application called "Restricted Drivers Manager" that you can choose to get drivers like that. One big improvement is the huge amount of supported wireless cards and the network manager doesn't suck for laptops.
2007-04-19, 11:31 AM #5
how is DOT NET development in Linux? is winforms working yet? .NET 2.0 and generics?
2007-04-19, 12:52 PM #6
If they actually fixed my wireless card I might be interested in it.
2007-04-19, 12:56 PM #7
I had removed it from my laptop so I could try out Vista. I'll probably be putting it back on.

Just to clarify, it was edgy that I had removed. Haven't tried 7.04
2007-04-19, 1:28 PM #8
I'm planning to upgrade later tonight when i'll be out of my room for some time. Dapper to Edgy took around four hours, plus the time I spent struggling to get the OSS Radeon driver to work. I did try one of the beta live CDs, and it actually booted into more than an unresponsive black screen, which is the first time that's happened since Breezy (I had to use the text-mode installer and then install ATI's drivers before I could see anything in Dapper).
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2007-04-19, 1:39 PM #9
Originally posted by Jon`C:
how is DOT NET development in Linux? is winforms working yet? .NET 2.0 and generics?

I couldn't tell you that specifically, but have you heard of Mono for your .NET stuff?
Also, Winforms FAQ

I'm no expert on this stuff, just kind of heard about it and Googled.
2007-04-19, 3:34 PM #10
Originally posted by Jon`C:

Winforms 1.1 is complete, C# 2.0 language support is complete, but not all of the .NET 2.0 API is there yet. Check the Mono 1.2 release notes.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-04-19, 8:56 PM #11
glubuntix takes FOREVER to load
2007-04-19, 10:45 PM #12
I haven't updated Ubuntu since Dapper Drake, I think :ninja:

Edit: wtf happened to the "embarassed" smiley?
一个大西瓜
2007-04-20, 12:52 AM #13
I was considering upgrading my laptop from Debian Sarge to Feisty Fawn server edition, but the installation methods for a machine without a cd rom or bootable usb are a huge pain in the bum to attempt, and they'll never officially support a floppy boot install.

But then Debian Etch beccame stable first, so it won.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

↑ Up to the top!