Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → How did you quit smoking?
How did you quit smoking?
2007-04-20, 3:21 AM #1
I was going to quit, and I was doing good for about 5 days just going cold turkey. But recently I started up again, so I made a deal with one of my Sergeants that every time he see's me smoking he smokes me. I.E. Pushups, Mountain Climbers, Flutter kicks.. things of that nature. It seems to be working great.

Post your habit-breaking success story. :rolleyes:
If my smoking bothers you, don't breathe.
2007-04-20, 4:05 AM #2
Dude, you and me both.

At University, I smoke an awful lot (and I smoke... pretty much anything), but I've been home for about 4 weeks without smoking anything and I generally feel great, but I think the urges are kicking in and I've had a few sneaky smokes here and there.
You know the weirdest thing, the only thing that's really made me feel bad about smoking? When my cat first saw me smoking. I know it's bizarre and just plain wrong, but I really felt like my cat was judging me and thought less of me somehow, and that really upset me! That's the only time that other people's ideas on smoking has affected me, heh.

I'm going to give nicotine gum a try, I think. I don't really enjoy smoking, but I think I just enjoy having something to do.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2007-04-20, 4:05 AM #3
I didn't start. Problem solved.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2007-04-20, 4:07 AM #4
Originally posted by - Tony -:

Same. Always seemed disgusting to me.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2007-04-20, 4:30 AM #5
Cold turkey, starting three weeks ago. Been absolutely clean since then, but the real test will begin Sunday when I move back into the University halls. It's actually helped me kick-start a more healthy lifestyle, though. I've been eating far more vegetables and fruits lately, and I bought some weights and an exercise mat to take back with me.
2007-04-20, 4:41 AM #6
So, No joke,
My cousin, who is the biggest redneck I know, Decides he's going to quit smoking. Went to the grocery store and bought a turkey. Cooked it and put the meat in the freezer and whenever he got the urge to smoke he would go eat some turkey meat. He told me, he was like "Man, I've been trying everything to quit smokin', but it just ain't workin'. So I went to the store and bought a turkey and froze the meat. Thats workin' better than anything I've tried yet!" I was like.... *Insert slap forehead here*
:downswords:
"You are ****in' moron" and then explained to him what it meant to quit cold turkey and he was like "Ohh...Well I'm still eatin' my turkey".
2007-04-20, 4:56 AM #7
Haha.

Another way, if you can't go cold turkey, try switching which hand you smoke with (so, hold the cig in your left hand, probably). It'll make smoking really awkward and make you more conscious about how much you smoke. Then, after a week or so, try smoking with the cig in your left hand between your middle finger and ring finger. That'll be even more awkward, and you'll inevitably smoke even less. When you get to smoking between your ring finger and little finger, that's when you're really desperate.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2007-04-20, 5:14 AM #8
Heh, I like that idea.

I don't think I'll be smoking anymore, though. From the time a soldier comes into the Army he is taught to fear the pushup. I get so freaked out when someone talks about getting smoked and doing pushups. I just want to hide. Bad memories from Basic :(
So, for me, that is motivation enough to quit.
2007-04-20, 6:46 AM #9
I stopped. Didn't really think about what I was doing - I just stopped smoking. Then, a few months later, I realized that I hadn't smoked in a long while.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-04-20, 6:52 AM #10
My grandpa smoked for like 25 years. When he finally just stopped, he said that it only got hard about 5 days in.

And that 10 years later, he still gets cravings once in a while.
2007-04-20, 7:20 AM #11

2007-04-20, 7:56 AM #12
Originally posted by 82nd_Fister:
Post your habit-breaking success story. :rolleyes:

[quote='Someone equally useful']Same. Always seemed disgusting to me.[/quote]

Wow, what incredibly useful advice, for smokers with time machines.
2007-04-20, 8:14 AM #13

Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2007-04-20, 8:59 AM #14
i havent. dont really want to at the moment. i like smoking. the only thing a really dont like is the cost issue.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2007-04-20, 9:28 AM #15

2007-04-20, 9:38 AM #16

This.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-04-20, 9:51 AM #17
I got another addiction instead. Besides, beer tastes so much better.
Last edited by mb; today at 10:55 AM.
2007-04-20, 10:05 AM #18
I was 18 at the time and I was still at college and was smoking while I had a cold and the addition tar cause by the tobacco cause an awful build up of nasty bile in my throat and (I even had time off college) my mother smoked my tobacco and Malboro Lights and when I got better, I simply never started smoking since and its been a long time (I think four of five years).

Now looking back, if was still smoking, I would have less money than would I have now. Its a pity that my mother has not given up too. But shes in her fifties and has smoked since the age of fifthteen. But I have no regrets and it was the most useful thing health-wise that a did as a teenager :).
2007-04-20, 10:07 AM #19
I never really smoked. Only an occasion cigar or a rip from a hooka.
Pissed Off?
2007-04-20, 10:12 AM #20
I decided to smoke 9 cigarettes at once last night. After not having smoked in forever.

Yeah. Good idea huh? Don't they have lots of clove cigarettes in your neck of the woods? I've heard if you move to those and then try to quite THOSE cold turkey it can be easier.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2007-04-20, 10:19 AM #21
I chewed on candy alot.

And pens. :(

All these anti-smoker laws make me want to take up the habit again. They're trying to outlaw smoking in every building in baltimore. REGARDLESS of how the business owner feels about smoking. LAME.
2007-04-20, 10:32 AM #22
I noticed some of the people I know that stopped smoking gained weight.
Back again
2007-04-20, 10:35 AM #23
Originally posted by Warlockmish:

Me too. I think the biggest reason is needing something to do instead of smoking, so they snack.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2007-04-20, 11:58 AM #24
Some people with a memory may remember that I actually smoked few years ago.

But as with everything, I thought "this has got to stop" and it stopped. Hooray!
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-04-20, 12:01 PM #25
For A terrifying moment I thought Rob said he chewed on Penis...
2007-04-20, 12:04 PM #26
Oh I'm sure he does.
>>untie shoes
2007-04-20, 12:19 PM #27
I still smoke, i like smoking.
2007-04-20, 12:21 PM #28
There are some real jewels of human beings in this thread.

I love it when people actually post helpful, productive thoughts.

I, like spe, still smoke.
>>untie shoes
2007-04-20, 12:27 PM #29
My dad quit cold turkey after praying he tells me. Whenever I try to quit bad habits I just try my absolute best to resist the urge and I try to focus on the rewards of quitting the habit.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2007-04-20, 12:32 PM #30
Quit?
D E A T H
2007-04-20, 12:48 PM #31
Originally posted by Warlockmish:

This is due to the sort of idea of Mort-Hog's post above. The movement of smoking is still a small part of the addiction. Snacks fill this hand movement to mouth. :P
nope.
2007-04-20, 1:40 PM #32
And also smoking lessens the desire for food (a lot of young girls start smoking to lose weight), so when you stop smoking you're suddenly a lot hungrier than you were before.
2007-04-20, 1:48 PM #33
I smoke cigars occasionally, and sometimes cigarettes if I've been drinking. Never formed a habbit! :v:
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-04-20, 2:30 PM #34
I never started, but I know that after my mom had her heart attack, she tried to quit by cutting down. She made it down to aout 1 cigarette a day but couldn't give up that last one. She still smokes though, so I guess that's not very helpful.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2007-04-20, 4:31 PM #35
I simply quit.
2007-04-20, 10:12 PM #36
See, Heres the thing with the health problems smoking is supposed to cause. One of my buddies is Frickin huge. I mean this guy benches close to 350 and he can run in the low 12's on a two-mile, which is pretty good. He ran and lifted better than I did back at Bragg when he was smoking and I wasn't. How the hell Does that work?

I actually ate more when I was smoking. A lot more. But now that I've started lifting again and decided to stop for the health problems, I've been eating less. Which is strange because I should be eating more and getting hungrier. O_o Madness!

Also, I was talking to my Fiancee last night and I'm pretty sure she's the reason I started smoking. I think it was something about being able to relate to her better. I thought somehow by smoking that I would be closer to her.

I said to her "Baby, I stopped smoking. If I can do it why can't you? It's too easy" and she was like "Because I don't want to". It really pains me to see her smoke because she's been smoking for 3 years and she's just starting to get hints of it on her skin and under her eyes. I really don't want her to keep smoking for the obvious health reasons. But also because It would kill me to see her old and wrinkly in her 40's. Or on a ventilator when we are old. :(
2007-04-20, 10:29 PM #37
Hopefully your personal example of the benefits will have more effect on her as time goes by. And just keep needling her :rolleyes:
2007-04-21, 2:15 AM #38
Originally posted by Avenger:
I never really smoked. Only an occasion cigar...

And I own a pipe, but I smoke that only occasionally.
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:

↑ Up to the top!