Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Where to buy a laptop?
Where to buy a laptop?
2007-05-03, 6:14 PM #1
Hey everybody. I'm looking for a laptop for college, and checking out various places online/in the city to buy one. Do you know of any good websites or stores, and do you have any advice?
2007-05-03, 6:17 PM #2
craigslist.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-05-03, 6:18 PM #3
Uhhh don't buy one from craigslist. :p

If you can be patient, watch http://www.slickdeals.net/ site. It has lots of good deals.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-05-03, 6:33 PM #4
The Best Place to buy Laptops.
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2007-05-03, 6:43 PM #5
I'm of the opinion that this would be a good deal, for $680:

InspironTM 6400
Windows Vista
Intel® Core™ DUO T2350 (1.86GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)
2GB Memory, 256MB NVIDIA graphics card, CD/DVD Burner, 80gig HD,
2007-05-03, 6:52 PM #6
Damn. I might want to buy that..
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-05-03, 6:58 PM #7
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=40&threadid=2042381&enterthread=y
woot!
2007-05-03, 6:59 PM #8
Trust me on this one, buy a Thinkpad with 4 years of warranty.

You could certainly buy more powerful laptop for less, but let me share with you a little anecdote:

A friend of mine has a dell. One day, the harddrive died. It took him three weeks to get the Hard drive replaced. He had to pay for shipping.

I have a Thinkpad, one day the headphone jack died. It took me three days to get the motherboard replaced. I did not have to pay for shipping.

Still not convinced? How about another little story:

My Roommate has a Thinkpad, one day he accidentally knocked it off the top bunk and it fell 8 feet onto the concrete floor. There is now a crack in the plastic, but it's been running fine ever since.

ThinkPad’s aren’t invincible, but they are better build that almost every other laptop you can buy (except maybe toughbooks), plus Lenovo takes their warranty very seriously. Do you really want to be worrying about a broken laptop middle of your junior year? I thought not.
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either

2007-05-03, 7:01 PM #9
Hey West Wind, you buy a lot of Lenovo stock or som'n :awesome:

If you're looking for a mid range dependable hiptop, go for HP

2007-05-03, 7:06 PM #10
Originally posted by NDNmojo:
Hey West Wind, you but a lot of Lenovo stock or som'n :awesome:

No, but I keep trying to convince them to offer me some kind of kickback program. If I could just get $10 for every friend I've convinced into buying a Thinkpad... :D

2007-05-03, 7:27 PM #11
Thinkpads are particularly sturdy if that's what you're looking for, but you can achieve similar longevity with cheaper brands by buying product service plans (from the manufacturer - not bestbuy/futureshop) if none of the Thinkpads catch your eye.

For great deals watch out for those crazy Dell coupon promotions, tigerdirect has decent prices year-round.
2007-05-03, 8:22 PM #12
Thinkpads ARE strong, for sure. But the last thinkpad I owned had HORRIBLE hinges that literally fell apart.

On that note, my HP runs great and has held up for two years now without issue.

↑ Up to the top!