Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → LAPD beats up Fox News (and protestors)
LAPD beats up Fox News (and protestors)
2007-05-06, 9:17 PM #81
Originally posted by Roach:
Avenger, the cops did go into the crowd, and they dealt with more than just the people they needed to. A line of cops decked out in riot gear is more than capable of handling people, the reason they move in the line is so that one officer can[/c] deal with one person without being mobbed.

Says you from the comfort of your computer desk. If the entire crowd is controlled, there is too much potential for an officer to be injured or killed. The demonstration ceased to be peaceable as soon as some bone head threw a rock. Once that happens, the cops have every reason to break things up before more and more people join the few idiots and make the situation all out uncontrollable, ie civilians dying, damage and destruction to property and so on.
Pissed Off?
2007-05-06, 9:23 PM #82
Yeah, says me in this comfy chair right here. I'm still not understanding how 600 police officers couldn't deal with 50 (-100 in Lee's article) people when they are in ballistics armor, have shields, and are armed with batons, pepper spray, and "less-than-lethal" ammunition. How is it less dangerous for the policemen to not arrest them, but instead march into the crowd? How is marching into the crowd safer than dealing with the agitators?
omnia mea mecum porto
2007-05-06, 9:50 PM #83
You act like I saw one news report and suddenly my "down with the man!" instincts kicked in...

Yeah, that's my specialty. :colbert:
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-05-06, 10:24 PM #84
Yeah, says me in this comfy chair right here. I'm still not understanding how 600 police officers couldn't deal with 50 (-100 in Lee's article) people when they are in ballistics armor, have shields, and are armed with batons, pepper spray, and "less-than-lethal" ammunition. How is it less dangerous for the policemen to not arrest them, but instead march into the crowd? How is marching into the crowd safer than dealing with the agitators?

Well.. they uhh.. did deal with the crowd. You just don't like how they dealed.

Anyway, like I said earlier, maybe they were a bit on the rough side, but personally I'd rather they err on the side of caution.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2007-05-06, 10:25 PM #85
Cops > Citizens

ALWAYS. Duh.

(I'm being sarcastic douchebags)
2007-05-06, 10:43 PM #86
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
Well.. they uhh.. did deal with the crowd. You just don't like how they dealed.

Anyway, like I said earlier, maybe they were a bit on the rough side, but personally I'd rather they err on the side of caution.

I didn't say deal with the crowd, I said deal with the agitators. The people that were doing something wrong. Erring on the side of caution like this is what gets people shot by cops when they're trying to pull their wallet out of their pockets, or gets old women shot when police use "no-knock" entry warrants on "drug houses."
omnia mea mecum porto
2007-05-06, 10:59 PM #87
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
but personally I'd rather they err on the side of caution.

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.
2007-05-07, 6:29 AM #88
Well, the LAPD obviously doesn't think they screwed up... wait, no.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2007-05-07, 3:27 PM #89

Interesting - we're down from 240 to 148 "rubber bullets", and up to 30-40 bottle/rock-throwing people (assault with a deadly weapon - felony).

Just a minor note. If you're interested in commentary from other officers, feel free to look here.

Another interesting note -- according to Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, "not even police are above the law" - which is all fine and good. Until he says "It doesn't matter to me whether you have papers or not. You came to work. We all have the same dreams. We want peace and decent jobs."

:suicide:
woot!
2007-05-07, 3:37 PM #90
...you keep trying to make this about immigration. It's not about immigration.:psyduck:
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2007-05-07, 3:46 PM #91
Originally posted by Tracer:
...you keep trying to make this about immigration. It's not about immigration.:psyduck:

I have not. If you believe otherwise, find it and quote me.

What I did do is point out the obvious hypocrisy by the Mayor of Los Angeles, which implies a bias on his part regarding this entire issue.
woot!
2007-05-07, 3:49 PM #92
I either want less corruption, or more chance to participate in it.
幻術
2007-05-07, 4:28 PM #93
I don't think we're up to 30-40, we're down. we went from 50-100 agitators to 30-40
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2007-05-07, 5:52 PM #94
Originally posted by sugarless5:
I don't think we're up to 30-40, we're down. we went from 50-100 agitators to 30-40

I hadn't read this link - I was going off the other link that was proudly claiming "no arrests were made", implying that it was purely a police assault upon hundreds of entirely innocent people.

I would really have liked to see those 30-40 arrested for assault...but that might've sparked a full-scale riot..who knows.
woot!
2007-05-07, 6:32 PM #95
Originally posted by JLee:
I would really have liked to see those 30-40 arrested for assault...but that might've sparked a full-scale riot..who knows.

welp those 30-40 people who committed assault were probably in the LAPD so maybe you don't want to get your wish there
2007-05-07, 6:39 PM #96
Originally posted by Jon`C:
welp those 30-40 people who committed assault were probably in the LAPD so maybe you don't want to get your wish there

That will be left up to the investigation to determine.
woot!
2007-05-07, 6:52 PM #97
That will be left up to the investigation to determine.

considering the fact that many of the police officers involved in this will be transferring to a desk job I think it's pretty clear what the investigation is going to determine.

Also, you know, this is the LAPD. None of you should be surprised about this at all. It's almost like, you know, they have a history of reckless incompetence and battery.
2007-05-07, 7:46 PM #98
When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

WHEEEEE! That was fun, daddy! I want to go down the slippery slope again!
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2007-05-07, 7:49 PM #99
considering the fact that many of the police officers involved in this will be transferring to a desk job I think it's pretty clear what the investigation is going to determine.

Also, you know, this is the LAPD. None of you should be surprised about this at all. It's almost like, you know, they have a history of reckless incompetence and battery.

You claim this as "fact" before the investigation has been concluded?
woot!
2007-05-07, 8:27 PM #100
You claim this as "fact" before the investigation has been concluded?

and because they're cops they're automatically innocent right?
2007-05-07, 8:37 PM #101
and because they're cops they're automatically innocent right?

And where did I say this?
woot!
2007-05-07, 8:39 PM #102
You don't have to say something to insinuate it.
2007-05-07, 8:54 PM #103
Originally posted by Rob:
You don't have to say something to insinuate it.

Ah - so you/he are/is making an assumption, then. Nice going.

Regardless, I take it the whole 'innocent until proven guilty in a court of law' idea doesn't fly here?
woot!
2007-05-07, 8:56 PM #104
Not for the Patriot Act! LOL!

2007-05-07, 9:00 PM #105
Nice catch, Roach. ;)

Originally posted by Anovis:
Not for the Patriot Act! LOL!

Bonus points for complete irrelevance! :neckbeard:
woot!
2007-05-07, 9:03 PM #106

everything is relevant when you're talking about how the police are trying to rob us of our god-given freedoms
2007-05-07, 9:04 PM #107
everything is relevant when you're talking about how the police are trying to rob us of our god-given freedoms

:psyduck:
woot!
2007-05-07, 9:06 PM #108
Ah - so you/he are/is making an assumption, then. Nice going.

Regardless, I take it the whole 'innocent until proven guilty in a court of law' idea doesn't fly here?

They'd be assumptions if you weren't, you know you.

We all have more than a good idea how you think, captain.
2007-05-07, 9:10 PM #109
Nice catch, Roach. ;)

Until I get a good explanation of how the Patriot Act does not reverse the American ideology of "innocent until proven guilty", it will stand as my joke :D

No matter; I suppose police will always be on the side of police during a riot, which prevents coup de'tat and such, and the people will normally be on the side of the people. The more resistance the two have, the more attention the riot pulls. The more attention the riot pulls, the more the idea strives. The more the idea strives and grows, the more the government will respond. Success in riots is measured by the resistance both sides have.

Thing is, immigrant reform is "on the backburner" of things Americans care about, and this protest, like many on Washington D.C., etc., are not noticed by the public eye. Reason? It doesn't affect all people's natural born rights. At least I don't think so, maybe I'm wrong. Who knows.

I'm just blabbering on now, I should go to sleep
2007-05-07, 9:14 PM #110
Nice catch, Roach. ;)

For some reason the initials just weren't clicking until as I hit "reply". :P
omnia mea mecum porto
2007-05-07, 9:19 PM #111
:psyduck:

that's right. the power-hungry and corrupt cops are working to rob of us our freedoms. they're fighting tooth and nail to see that all of our firearms are banned, that they can search us and our property without a warrant. it's already to the point where they can pay some junky to accuse us of dealing in drugs and are automatically granted a knockless warrant by corrupt judges. a cop can accuse us of racketeering and all of our property is confiscated by the police without a trial. and they'll send you to gitmo if you complain. things have to change. if you aren't part of the solution you're part of the problem.
2007-05-07, 9:20 PM #112
Originally posted by Rob:
They'd be assumptions if you weren't, you know you.

We all have more than a good idea how you think, captain.

I am unable to decipher your first sentence. Maybe that's because...well, it doesn't make sense. Or, perhaps I need sleep.

Your BS line of 'you all knowing how I think' is just...well, BS. Goodnight all. :)
woot!
2007-05-07, 10:29 PM #113
I have not. If you believe otherwise, find it and quote me.

What I did do is point out the obvious hypocrisy by the Mayor of Los Angeles, which implies a bias on his part regarding this entire issue.

The mayor's hypocrisy has no bearing on the judgment of the LAPD officers who committed the questionable acts.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-05-07, 11:08 PM #114
that's right. the power-hungry and corrupt cops are working to rob of us our freedoms. they're fighting tooth and nail to see that all of our firearms are banned, that they can search us and our property without a warrant. it's already to the point where they can pay some junky to accuse us of dealing in drugs and are automatically granted a knockless warrant by corrupt judges. a cop can accuse us of racketeering and all of our property is confiscated by the police without a trial. and they'll send you to gitmo if you complain. things have to change. if you aren't part of the solution you're part of the problem.
Seriously, did the cops come over and kick your dog or something?
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2007-05-07, 11:16 PM #115
Originally posted by Kieran Horn:
Seriously, did the cops come over and kick your dog or something?

no, but they want to. because they're cops.
2007-05-07, 11:16 PM #116
Interesting - we're down from 240 to 148 "rubber bullets", and up to 30-40 bottle/rock-throwing people (assault with a deadly weapon - felony).

You know how many rubber bullets were used in three days of riots here in Denmark a couple months ago?

That's right, none.
2007-05-08, 2:26 AM #117
I have to say, Michael, I would encourage police forces to use "less-than-lethal" rounds against a rioting mass of arsonists, especially after it carried on for longer than a day.
omnia mea mecum porto
2007-05-08, 4:11 AM #118
They suffered only one injury to a policeman and were able to put a stop to the riots within a few hours each night (they didn't continue into the next day), and furthermore they actually made arrests of many of the people responsible for the violence rather than handing out injuries indiscriminately, which is what would have happened if they'd fired into crowds that contained a lot of nonviolent protesters and bystanders. They also cleared journalists and bystanders off sections of street without having to resort to beatings. All this in a situation far more serious than the one the LAPD police were in. I have to say that I like their way of doing things better.
2007-05-08, 5:12 AM #119
Ah, the reports I read about those riots made it sound like it was a continuous riot. That doesn't sound as bad.
omnia mea mecum porto
2007-05-08, 7:15 AM #120
The cops that were involved got reassigned, one demoted.
Back again

↑ Up to the top!