Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → IS there a "the"?
IS there a "the"?
2007-05-06, 4:44 PM #1
ok so me and my g/f keep talking about this she insists its just prom but i say the prom.... like "are you going to the prom" and she will say "are you going to prom"

so what is it?
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2007-05-06, 4:46 PM #2
Short answer: "The" does not have to be there, but could.

So NO VOTES FOR YOUR POLL
2007-05-06, 4:47 PM #3
Either is right. "The Prom" refers to a specific prom while "Prom" refers to the promenade dance/gathering in general.
2007-05-06, 4:57 PM #4
I just call it "Stupid waste of time that could be spent having fun"
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-05-06, 4:59 PM #5
Stop bickering over stupid ****. It's a one freaking word.
Pissed Off?
2007-05-06, 5:01 PM #6
"Someone asked me why when we talk about CIA, we don't say "the CIA" , and I told him, 'You don't say 'the' when talking about God.'"

:downswords:
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2007-05-06, 5:01 PM #7
I've said it both ways.

"so when we went to prom..."
"so I was getting ready for the prom..."
"we went to the prom together"
"I went stag to prom"

/shrug
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2007-05-06, 5:03 PM #8
I always[/b] say, "I went stag to prom."

:gbk:
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-05-06, 5:03 PM #9
Hey, I went stag to my prom
2007-05-06, 5:04 PM #10
I skipped my prom.

Had a much better time hanging out with friends from work.
2007-05-06, 5:32 PM #11
Didn't go to my prom, either.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2007-05-06, 5:37 PM #12
i went to prom :awesome:
yay for not posting much ever
2007-05-06, 5:38 PM #13
You can't drink at the prom. That right there should tell you what kind of crappy, overpriced party it really is. Always skip prom, go to the after parties.

And I just used both phrases without realizing it. I'm not sure why I used one phrase and not the other.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2007-05-06, 6:16 PM #14
Both.

But the american deal with $500 dresses and such just seems like a waste of time and money.
nope.
2007-05-06, 6:33 PM #15
I went to anti-prom. For less money than prom, my friends and I went to Laguna beach/knotts berry farm (all the way in magical California land) for a weekend. Last weekend, actually. :P
2007-05-06, 6:33 PM #16
Originally posted by Andrew L:
ok so me and my g/f keep talking about this she insists its just prom but i say the prom.... like "are you going to the prom" and she will say "are you going to prom"

so what is it?

A run-on sentence.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-05-06, 10:21 PM #17
WTF!

OF COURSE there's a "the"!

The problem is you crazy Europeans are influencing fragile American minds. You people and your "I'm going to uni." ARGGGH!!! It's "I'm going to the university!" !!!!!
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-05-06, 10:38 PM #18
.... What? That implies there's one university that you're going to. That only makes sense if you specify which university you're attending (I'm going to the University of California).

Unless you were being sarcastic.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-05-06, 11:01 PM #19
many languages do not have a definite article
2007-05-06, 11:03 PM #20
Ummmmmmm no. I wasn't. I was educating the unwashed masses about proper American English grammar. You have to specify an article that says WHICH university you're going to. I'm going to A university. I'm going to THE university. I'm going to MY university. Those all work. I'm going to university does NOT work. You don't say I'm going to house. I'm going to park. I'm going to theater. No.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-05-06, 11:10 PM #21
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Ummmmmmm no. I wasn't. I was educating the unwashed masses about proper American English grammar. You have to specify an article that says WHICH university you're going to. I'm going to A university. I'm going to THE university. I'm going to MY university. Those all work. I'm going to university does NOT work. You don't say I'm going to house. I'm going to park. I'm going to theater. No.

"I'm going to work," "I'm attending school," "I'm leaving for university."

Those are valid. The use of the definite article means you are referring to a known, singular location or proper noun. It is not meant to imply you are moving to a specific location, but it states what you will be doing: attending class.

"I'm late for the work," indeed.

Edit:
It can be "the prom" because there is one prom you are eligable to attend: Your own, at your own school. It can also just be "prom" for the same reason above. It's not just a place to go, it's also a thing you can do.
2007-05-06, 11:28 PM #22
but I never said "the homecoming" I always just said "I'm going to homecoming." Is it different for specific events that should be understood to the listener? no, because you would say I'm going to the homecomming parade/game what have you.

My college's formal, we don't put the article - we say "I'm going to sig ball"

huh.

[edit] Jon`C basically answered everything, I just left this on my screen without clicking "send" for too long to delete it now
2007-05-06, 11:30 PM #23
Originally posted by sugarless5:
we say "I'm going to sig ball"

huh.

And my response would be--- what does it mean to sig a ball? what is this sigging activity I've never heard of?

It's just unclear english, period.
2007-05-06, 11:31 PM #24
Originally posted by Andrew L:

so what is it?

It's a big end-of-year dance for high school juniors and seniors.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2007-05-06, 11:31 PM #25
well we don't actually call it Sig Ball to anyone who isn't familiar with the event. That's just silly. "Well I'm going to my school's formal"
2007-05-07, 6:15 AM #26
lolz pron
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-05-07, 6:21 AM #27
I went to 3. :colbert:
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2007-05-07, 6:44 AM #28
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
lolz pron

A pr0n or the pr0n?
幻術
2007-05-07, 7:37 AM #29
A pr0n
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-05-07, 7:40 AM #30
m0ar pr0n
Pie.
2007-05-07, 2:36 PM #31
Originally posted by Glyde Bane:
I just call it "Stupid waste of time that could be spent having fun"

To be fair, the refreshments are really awesome for the money and with very little effort you can eat way more than your ticket was worth. I was going to do that this year, but this girl who doesn't even like me wanted to go with me. I didn't really understand it either, because she also insisted on paying for all of her stuff too. :confused: Oh well.
2007-05-07, 2:40 PM #32
Prom, drop "the" for me
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2007-05-07, 3:07 PM #33
Originally posted by Freelancer:
It's just unclear english, period.

Uh, welcome to English?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-05-07, 3:11 PM #34
Must resist urge to point out Freelancer's errors...
nope.
2007-05-07, 6:27 PM #35
This is twice now, twice that I have clicked on this thread thinking, "Huh, this could be an interesting thread." Damn you. Damn you all to hell.:mad:
TAKES HINTS JUST FINE, STILL DOESN'T CARE
2007-05-07, 6:29 PM #36
i dont care, i'm english.:colbert:
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2007-05-07, 6:30 PM #37
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
but this girl who doesn't even like me wanted to go with me

She didn't want to go alone and nobody else would take her.

↑ Up to the top!