Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Uninterrupted Power Supply advice
Uninterrupted Power Supply advice
2007-05-08, 12:21 AM #1
Since it's the start of air conditioner season here, brownouts and power shortages/outages are sure to come and I'm thinking about getting a UPS to keep the power to my computer steady to avoid power failures and damage.
Since I have no experience with uninterrupted power supplies, I thought I might ask here for some advice on them. I was thinking about this one since it has rather good customer reviews, but I'm not sure.
I need at least 4 power outlets, but 6 would be nice if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks
2007-05-08, 7:53 AM #2
Jesus, 800 VA is a lot. What are your PC specs (especially monitor type/size), and how much uptime do you want?
2007-05-08, 7:57 AM #3
Note that contrary to what the sites say, you're actually gonna need about twice as much power as what your devices pull. Anything more on the UPS will cause it to randomly overload (even when there's no power shortage). It's annoying as mad hell, so keep that in mind.
2007-05-08, 8:27 AM #4
i have an APC 750 VA UPS, saved me plenty of times.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2007-05-08, 12:11 PM #5
Originally posted by Aglar:
Jesus, 800 VA is a lot. What are your PC specs (especially monitor type/size), and how much uptime do you want?

computer specs:
Geforce 8800 GTS 640 MB Graphics Card (and will soon be two, so keep that in mind)
2.13GHz Core 2 Duo
Nvidia NForce 570 SLIt MoBo
600 watt PSU
4 GB RAM
2 Samsung 19 inch flat panel LCD monitors

I just need enough uptime to get through power outages when they occur, usually less than 20 minutes.

I picked that one because It's fairly cheap with good reviews, even if there are only 7 of them, but like I said before, I have no experience with UPSs and would like some advice. The one you pointed out looks fairly good too, landfish. It has more outlets than I need, but it's inexpensive and has good reviews too.
2007-05-08, 7:28 PM #6
You're gonna need a new PSU before you go SLI with that...well not need, but there's a good chance you'll see random reboots.
D E A T H
2010-10-06, 8:41 AM #7
Damnit, I thought that Yoshi had crawled out of his methpit for a second there.
nope.
2010-10-06, 8:45 AM #8
...the hell? o_O
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2010-10-06, 9:17 AM #9
Originally posted by Power Supply:
UPS are really helpful. Aside from protecting your laptop and the devices attached to it. It prolongs the life of your devices. I use several UPS at home just to make sure that my PC won't get busted.

[URL="www.criticalpowersupplies.co.uk"]Uninterruptible Power Supply[/URL]

SPAM SPAM SPAM
2010-10-06, 9:21 AM #10
Originally posted by Power Supply:
UPS are really helpful. Aside from protecting your laptop and the devices attached to it. It prolongs the life of your devices. I use several UPS at home just to make sure that my PC won't get busted.

Uninterruptible Power Supply

I APPROVE OF THIS MESSAGE
2010-10-06, 9:22 AM #11
wow but it's like actually relevant
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2010-10-06, 8:11 PM #12
Originally posted by zanardi:
wow but it's like actually relevant

No! Don't say things like that! It only encourages them!
2010-10-06, 8:46 PM #13
It encourages ur mom
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2010-10-06, 9:25 PM #14
Hi Deadman!
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.

↑ Up to the top!