Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Where did the tech forum go?
Where did the tech forum go?
2007-05-09, 1:32 AM #1
I swear to god I may as well sell this piece of crap off for parts, all of a sudden last week my hard drive decided it didn't wanna work: Whenever I booted up I got the "Windows XP is Loading" malarkey, then the machine restarted and took me through it all over again.

Fast forward to yesterday, I format and reinstall. Everything is going fine, then suddenly out of nowhere, XP restarts itself and has the exact same problem.

Now i've installed it on the other HDD, I installed SP2, all the graphics and mobo drivers, then restarted. As soon as I clicked my profile to log in after the restart, I get an assload of messages telling me all sorts of files in Documents & Settings are corrupt.

I'm gonna try creating a new Admin account see if that fixes it up, but god damn this is pissing me off... everytime I get this piece of **** fixed a new random problem pops up out of nowhere.

Specs:

Athlon 64 X2 4600+
1 Gig DDR2 somethingorother OCZ RAM
2xSamsung 7200 SATA HDD (250gig)
Can't remember the exact 3d card, it ain't mine. ATI 1300 or something maybe?
M2n32 Deluxe mobo.

Any ideas? this computer is ****ing annoying.
2007-05-09, 3:03 AM #2
for a start disable the "restart on serious error" option so you can get a vague idea whats causing it.
2007-05-09, 3:27 AM #3
Sounds to me like your hard drive is dying. Back up all your important stuff.
2007-05-09, 4:42 AM #4
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Sounds to me like your hard drive is dying. Back up all your important stuff.

Aye, that's exactly what happened to Geoff before his forced HDD-ectomy
2007-05-09, 3:09 PM #5
Originally posted by Mr. Stafford:
2xSamsung 7200 SATA HDD (250gig)

Thats probably your problem right there. Ive never owned a Samsung hard drive that lasted more than 3 months.

You should probably check that ram too.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2007-05-09, 3:10 PM #6
zomg its GBK!!! :neckbeard:
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2007-05-09, 3:16 PM #7
Originally posted by gbk:
Thats probably your problem right there. Ive never owned a Samsung hard drive that lasted more than 3 months.

And how many did you own? Two? :rolleyes:

Unless you can find some data showing Samsung's failure rate is higher than anyone else's, I'm calling FUD.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-05-09, 3:23 PM #8
Originally posted by Ruthven:
zomg its GBK!!! :neckbeard:

Yes, it is! Im not the one who disappears for months at a time. ;)
2007-05-09, 3:24 PM #9
Originally posted by Emon:

Unless you can find some data showing Samsung's failure rate is higher than anyone else's, I'm calling FUD.

I can't provide statistical analysis, but I will agree that it seems that Samsung HDDs have a higher rate of failure than (some) other manufacturers in our lab environment. And our testing rate is in the magnitude of thousands, not single digits.

As an IT professional, I'm sure that's where GBK is basing his statement from.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2007-05-09, 3:52 PM #10
Originally posted by Emon:

Personally, 6, and Ive had the displeasure of replacing them in at least 50 client systems over the years.

Oh the other hand, yes, its mostly FUD. He really should check his ram, though.

↑ Up to the top!