Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → LotW system improvement idea
LotW system improvement idea
2004-07-21, 4:36 AM #1
I think I see a way to lessen the chance of abuse, as well as the problem that noone votes so bad levels get selected sometimes 'cause a clan gets their 3 members to vote.

A system could take a weighted average/cumulative of a few different factors for every level:
- Number of downloads divided by the number of days it has been released to get the downloads per day (just the number of downloads might make it likely to select older stuff)
- The level rating from 0 - 10.
- The more recent the level has been posted the more of a chance it will make LotW (again, so old stuff doesn't pop up)

This data would be weighted, so for example level rating might be a bit more important than downloads, and recent-ity would be a bit less maybe.

Does this sound like a good idea to you guys?

------------------
The Mega-ZZTer's Gaming Haven! | Mega-ZForums

Bot Pack JO | Let's Roll JK | Bespin JA | Patch Enforcer JK/MotS | Pac-Man JK

"how harsh... Jedi Kirby loves his 'Special' and unique way of talking." - jEDIkIRBY, circa 2002

[This message has been edited by The_Mega_ZZTer (edited July 21, 2004).]

2004-07-21, 4:42 AM #2
well i'm not hsure about the downloads thing, as you could get a false result if someone downloaded it several times, refreshed the downlaod page, or got all there frends to download it.
as for rateings, well as rateings are average.. you could get a false result tehre, or the level mgith be not very playable but look really good, or lots of zone players could come in and vote a level down.. if an editor was unliked by a clan or something prehaps?

as for the recentcy of posting, that sounds lieka good idea

Note : Excuse the bad spelling, i suck and i know it so dont comment ok?
------------------
I am Darth PJB!
well, go on, run away!

i have a plastic lightsaber and a jedi cape.. am i a nerd?

If gravity is a crule mistress, and bar tenders with bad grammar are untrustworthy, what is air?

[This message has been edited by [SF]pjb (edited July 21, 2004).]
I am Darth PJB!
well, go on, run away!

i have a plastic lightsaber and a jedi cape.. am i a nerd?

If gravity is a crule mistress, and bar tenders with bad grammar are untrustworthy, what is air?
2004-07-21, 4:47 AM #3
Well, by using all three factors it should lessen the impact of someone cheating on one factor.

------------------
The Mega-ZZTer's Gaming Haven! | Mega-ZForums

Bot Pack JO | Let's Roll JK | Bespin JA | Patch Enforcer JK/MotS | Pac-Man JK

"how harsh... Jedi Kirby loves his 'Special' and unique way of talking." - jEDIkIRBY, circa 2002

2004-07-21, 4:54 AM #4
Good ideas :)

------------------
What once was...
2004-07-21, 8:19 AM #5
It sounds like a good idea - now create a formula for it so I can plug it in [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
Brian's Web Log is CLOSED.
2004-07-21, 8:24 AM #6
[Edit: Moron /slaps self]

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º< ) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º< )

[This message has been edited by SAJN_Master (edited July 21, 2004).]
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-21, 8:52 AM #7
The problem with the downloads system is that newer levels that may be really good don't really stand much of a chance.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-21, 10:25 AM #8
We don't get enough levels to warrant a LotW. Just face the truth. With how many levels wev've gotten in the past month, every level posted would have gotten lotw about 3 times over. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer

[This message has been edited by Freelancer (edited July 21, 2004).]
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-07-21, 11:11 AM #9
They don't have to be new levels. Plenty of good levels to choose from are there...

------------------
Brian's Web Log is CLOSED.

↑ Up to the top!