Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Roomates
Roomates
2007-05-20, 7:29 AM #1
So my roomates are moving out. Im mostly happy because I cant stand one of them.

The only problem is... the lease was signed for a full year, they're leaving with 2 months left.

Next year we're going to have 3 roomates total, which means my rent will go up about $70. That wont be too bad because we're getting rid of the stupid cable package one of my current roomates HAD to have, even though he was barely here all year.

Now the problem!

Since they're moving out, they dont want to pay summer rent. Why? Because the new roomate said that if he HAD to, hed start paying in June.

So heres the thing. I dont want to start paying the extra $70 until i get back here in september. I dont have time for a job during the school year, and as of right now I dont have a paying internship for the summer.

I was reluctant, but willing to pay the rent for the summer so i didnt have to worry about anything while I was gone. I was planning on saving money this summer by not having to worry about the cable or electricity.

So I dont know what Im supposed to do. My roomate did talk to me about this, but he also had offered to help pay a little bit (which he didnt say last night). I dont recall much of that conversation considering it was mid terms at the time... And on top of that, he was only offering to help pay for something about the security deposit...

So what am I supposed to do? I feel cheated, and I REALLY dont want to pay that extra $70 a month yet. I kind of need money while Im home.

Im thinking that I'll just ask him to throw in $140 for the two final months.
I mean.. he had a cheaper rent all year cause he shared a room, and I had to pay more for cable because the other roomate wanted some crazy tv package.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2007-05-20, 7:45 AM #2
Oh yea, and the one that moved out took the garbage can we had in the kitchen... grr. he could have left it for the week longer most of us will be here >:(
2007-05-20, 8:01 AM #3
Burn down their other houses. With fire. Then he'll have NO OTHER CHOICE.
2007-05-20, 8:52 AM #4
I tried the roommate thing for a year with my cousin and while he could often be sloppy and a bit loud, he wasn't that bad. However, after living on my own for some time, I don't think there's any way that I could ever go back (unless it was my girlfriend).
2007-05-20, 9:05 AM #5
Girlfriends are WORSE to live with. Ug.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-05-20, 9:24 AM #6
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Girlfriends are WORSE to live with. Ug.

lolololz I have a girlfriend lololol.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-05-20, 9:29 AM #7
I'm single, actually.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-05-20, 9:30 AM #8
So wait, how many roomates skipped out 2 months before? I'm guessing 2?

What did they say about the signed lease issue?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-05-20, 10:03 AM #9
Currently we have 4 total. 2 are moving out, 1 new one is moving in.

I havent mentioned that, but I assume theyll say something like "but the new guy said hed pay!'
2007-05-20, 10:52 AM #10
Well being in Baltimore right now with the prices here, the only thing I can say is stop yer *****in' :P
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2007-05-20, 10:56 AM #11
I've never had to be in that situation - because I live at home with parents and that is a pain in the backside. But im not ready to move out yet anyway - give it a couple of years and no doubt I'll having the same discussion :).
2007-05-20, 10:57 AM #12
[13:39] (: i think im just going to say
[13:39] (: guysy
[13:39] (: you signed a contract
[13:39] (: and #2...
[13:39] (: you made me pay for worthless cable all year
[13:39] (: and didnt respect my room
[13:40] (: cause i found stuff in here thatwasnt mine
[13:40] (: it was awesome
[13:40] happydud: heh
[13:45] (: maybe ill just say i feel like im being cheated
[13:45] (: good idea
[13:45] happydud: go for it
[13:45] happydud: no one can resist the cheating card!
[13:49] (: seriously though
[13:49] (: they asekd to hav rent lowered cause they shared a room
[13:49] (: right now i pay 300
[13:49] (: they pay 250 i think
[13:50] (: yea
[13:50] (: they WANTED me to pay $350
[13:50] happydud: O_o
[13:50] (: i was like
[13:50] (: uh
[13:50] (: hell no
[13:50] (: they were like "come on we're sharing a room"
[13:50] (: mind you, they're practically never here
[13:50] (: #2
[13:50] (: i came back TWICE to find someone had slept in my bed
[13:50] (: without my permission
[13:50] (: and broken my doorhandle
[13:51] (: i found a condom wrapper in here
[13:51] (: hopefully "found" lets you know what i mean by that
[13:51] (: and lastly, they had some stupid BS cable package that i had to pay $20 a month for
[13:51] happydud: yeah, you told me about that
[13:51] (: that i never used
[13:53] (: AND HE TOOK THE GARBAGE CAN
[13:53] (: ARGHGHH
[13:54] (: HE LIVES FIVE MINUTES DOWN THE ROAD. I COULD HAVE TAKEN IT BACK
[13:54] happydud: haha
[13:54] happydud: pwned
2007-05-20, 11:02 AM #13
TAKE THE GARBAGE CAN!
2007-05-20, 11:04 AM #14
<mb> I know what im going to say to them
<mb> "you signed for a year"
<mb> "pay."
<mb> "oh and youre not sharing a room, so pay more than you used to"
<landfish> "do it or i poke you with a large stick"
<Genki> or
<Genki> "pay with YOUR LIFE"
<Genki> and then mb won't have to worry about rent ever again
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2007-05-20, 11:08 AM #15
THE BANSTICK!
2007-05-20, 11:08 AM #16
The general rule that I know of amongst the students here is that nearly everyone signs a year long contract. If they leave before it's up they're still expected to pay their part of the rent (energy and water bills would probably be waived since they'd no longer be contributing to the cost). The only way they might get free is by getting someone else to replace themselves. Is the new guy moving in immediately or in 2 months time?
2007-05-20, 11:09 AM #17
get out of my thread. ( @ te)

And yes, I think im just going to say "you signed for a year. I expect you pay for the year"
2007-05-20, 11:09 AM #18
Originally posted by MBeggar:
Currently we have 4 total. 2 are moving out, 1 new one is moving in.

I havent mentioned that, but I assume theyll say something like "but the new guy said hed pay!'

That's crap. If they signed that they will pay to the end of the lease, you should enforce that. Did these 2 have security deposits?

(bah, ninja post)
2007-05-20, 11:12 AM #19
Indeed it is crap, and I intend to hold it on them. While I might have said alright before, I thought he was explaining what was going to happen to the already existing money in the security deposit.

Recusant-- He moves in immediately, but he wont actually start living here till the next academic year.
2007-05-20, 11:34 AM #20
Originally posted by Recusant:
The general rule that I know of amongst the students here is that nearly everyone signs a year long contract. If they leave before it's up they're still expected to pay their part of the rent (energy and water bills would probably be waived since they'd no longer be contributing to the cost). The only way they might get free is by getting someone else to replace themselves. Is the new guy moving in immediately or in 2 months time?

Yep. They signed a year long lease. They're still on the hook for rent, even if they aren't there. This is really more the landlord's issue than it is yours, assuming the lease names the four people living in the apartment and states that each person will pay a certain amount of rent per month.
Pissed Off?
2007-05-20, 11:38 AM #21
I agree. You could talk with the landlord, but I'm guessing he just wants the money. And I also assume, if he is not getting the full payment, he will be coming after you, even if the 2 roommates have scattered.
2007-05-20, 4:58 PM #22
Im going to stick with the "you signed the year lease" plan. Theres nothign he can say about that.

↑ Up to the top!