Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Ubuntu Help
Ubuntu Help
2007-05-20, 7:28 PM #1
Since the tech forum is no longer with us, I'll post here.

I have decided to make the switch to Ubuntu today, but there's several things I have trouble with already. (I'm using Live CD).

1.) I have no internet. This machine (the machine I want to use linux on) uses internet via a wireless USB adapter. I see the option to connect to the router, but every time I do, everything's blank...I have no IP, submask, internet, whatever.

2.) Partitioning space for windows dual boot. I really don't want to buy an extra HDD right now, so I'm trying to dual boot on one HDD. I have defragmented the drive and it's ready, but during the installation on the live cd, I get intimidated by the set up process, as I have no idea what to do in these steps.
2007-05-20, 8:19 PM #2
1. Hahah, you're trying to use wireless on Linux.

2. Forget partitions and use Wubi instead.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-05-20, 8:29 PM #3
I'm guessing wireless on linux is bad? Or just complicated?
2007-05-20, 9:30 PM #4
Originally posted by Anovis:
I'm guessing wireless on linux is bad? Or just complicated?

Could be easier. I've never had a problem with it under FreeBSD, though.

You might want to check whether or not your wireless adapter is actually supported.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2007-05-20, 11:15 PM #5
It basically comes down to this:

A. Your wireless card works out of the box.
B. There's a guide on how to install your wireless card/device
C. You will never, ever get it working.

There's no other middle ground, really.
2007-05-20, 11:24 PM #6
what about ndiswrapper
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2007-05-20, 11:31 PM #7
^^ That's how I got mine to work.

I'm going to venture a guess that you have a Broadcom chip for your NIC. If so, then it's going to be hard for wireless since the Linux adaptations suck hardcore mostly since the company guards their device model like it's a nat. security secret. Even then, Linux and wireless is still a pain in the ***.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-05-20, 11:52 PM #8
Frighteningly whenever I used Knoppix it always picked up my 3Com wireless card.

But meh, best of luck.
2007-05-21, 12:23 AM #9
Broadcom is TERRIBLE for Linux support. I'm never buying their products again. If your wireless device is made by broadcom, you are probably out of luck for now.

The problem is that they don't release technical specs or provide any help for those who wish to make Linux alternates to their firmware (either they don't care or they are doing MSFT a favor at the consumers' expense)

The good news is that a few people have been reverse-engineering the broadcom firmware, so eventually there may be hope.

↑ Up to the top!