Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Sustaining/improving Jk Editing experience at Massassi
Sustaining/improving Jk Editing experience at Massassi
2004-07-18, 9:52 AM #1
There are two areas in which I see potential for this site to grow/improve. The first is to stay relavent and current like everybody else is trying to do. The second is to continue to promote the elements that have proved sustainable over the last (is it 7?) years. I think this promotion should include the community collectively discussing ways to make the JK editing portion better for anyone who still has an interest.

Here's the catch, nothing will change unless there are enough people willing to participate. Realistically, this will fall into fairly predictable categories which I'll outline below take your pick, we can use whatever you can spare.

1. Post here and say something positive about JK editing. This is the least you can do if you still care about it and want to see it continue. It's not a meaningless gesture because it will encourage people with the time/inclination to do more.

2. Identify areas where the Jk editing experience can be improved

3. Suggest how this can be done

4. State in what capacity you might be willing to move beyond mere discussion

------------------
Working hard to bring you a mission statement and profile signature in the new year.
Working hard to bring you a mission statement and profile signature in the new year.
2004-07-18, 10:14 AM #2
3. Editing project "spotlights" . . . to see what I'm talking about, check out http://www.df-21.net - it'sa great way to let everyone know what's being worked on, even moreso for an older game, I think.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-07-18, 10:34 AM #3
or...

You could make another tropical island [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-18, 10:45 AM #4
This was something I posted over at TACC, you could do it here or there. I figured it'd be easier to do it there seeing as all you'd need to do would be to pull Ryans arm and see if he wouldn't give someone news posting privileges and see what you could do from there. Over here it'd be harder to get started. And besides, if you broke something on the main page there, it wouldn't be a calamity of any great proportions...

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Well a couple of times I've thought, "hey didn't wassisface invent that whatever it was with the green stuff a couple of years back?"

They other day it was, "ah bugger what's the number of pixels per JKU"

Now it's "what's the deal with those animated mats?"

There's always some number people are forgetting or don't know about, max this, minimum that.

So I figured after I finish the level I'm currently working on, I'll scrap together some 5 minute bum geocities page with editing restriction info on it.

The other thing is, every now and again someone comes up with something cool, and it usually just drifts to the bottom of the massassi jk editing forum and disappears into the mists of the occasionally buggy search feature.

I figured TACC isn't going anywhere fast, why not just turn it into an JK/MotS MP/SP editing thing.

All the current stuff could be left pretty much as is, the main page could have reviews of current MP/SP levels which come out, info on new stuff for JK editing people occasionally figure out. Also have a section on editing limitations, full links to editing proggies, rather than all over the show. Maybe even a getting started guide(although they're a fair amount of work, I tried to start one once...)

While all this kinda sounds like stealing massassi's thunder, in terms of JK, massassi is essentially an editing forum, cog forum, showcase forum and level database. I'm not sure what percentage of the people over there have ever edited JK, or even currently have it installed.

There would be other stuff that could be done, interviews with people with levels in production, page of links to texturing tutorials, texture collections.

All this would require some level of work, but it's probably less than the previous grand plan for TACC.</font>
2004-07-18, 10:48 AM #5
4. I'm willing to keep making levels as long as I can find time/motivation and people still download them (ie. more than 20).

------------------
~ Vader's Corner ~
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2004-07-18, 10:51 AM #6
Never edited JK, but I might just retexture canyon oasis if it'll help the cause.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-07-18, 11:23 AM #7
Yeah because god knows we need another one of those.

------------------
I resent that.
>>untie shoes
2004-07-18, 1:57 PM #8
Simple-- JK needs a remodel-retexture job. Only problem is, not many modelers want to do it, and those that have or have done some and quit working on it decide they don't want to release stuff.

JK has all the modding capability. COG probably the single best thing about JK. You can do so much. Look at all the mods. But, very few people have ever attempted good looking remodels of characters and weapons with 16-bit textures (which could easily be reduced to 8-bit for those who can't use 16-bit).

JK has the potential for great online play. It's got great gametypes:

-DM
-Team DM
-Sabers
-Team Sabers
-CTF
-Domination (which is a mod that could use levels made for it)
-Swoop! (which in and of itself is a great, if unfinished, mod)
-Infiltrate (probably the greatest MP mode ever)
-JK Arena
-Jawa Tag (unreleased mod of mine --basically KFY for JK)

And an Assault (UT) or Seige (JA) gametype would actually be quite easy to code as well.

I'm currently in the process of Updating SBX to my likings for personal use, which include all client/server cogs, and many additions from my old mod, Rogue Squadron CTF.

------------------
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

-Tazz
-There are easier things in life than finding a good woman, like nailing Jello to a tree, for instance

Tazz
2004-07-18, 2:17 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Septic Yogurt:
Never edited JK, but I might just retexture canyon oasis if it'll help the cause.</font>

Do, and Ill see you burn in hell for it. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-07-19, 2:42 AM #10
Better models, most definitely.

Plus, it's a relatively simple engine to make stuff for. Although I haven't edited in a long time, my knowledge is still tucked up behind my cerebral cortex with UT, Morrowind and Half Life.

------------------
Wise men say that fools rush in where angels fear to tread, so look before you leap, so to speak, because the grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-07-21, 11:57 AM #11
now this....needs a bump!

------------------
It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed.
When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.
Join the Army, Go to distant lands, meet interesting people, kill them!

Don't draw fire, it irritates the people around you.
Intel: We put the 'um...' in Pentium
2004-07-21, 12:28 PM #12
To be honest, trying to give JA some interesting gametypes like the ones JK got (jediball, infiltrate!, rollmod etc) could do a lot to raise the profile of the whole series. All the mods for JO and JA (except for Hydroball, which died) have been about changing a few aspects of the game, a few tweaks and changes here and there. Some decent rereleases of these mods for JA could have the following effects:

1) Raising the profile of the series
2) Raising the profile of the original mods
3) Raising the profile of Massassi
4) Increase the chances of our members getting noticed by game development companies.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-07-21, 12:48 PM #13
i think they are noticed...only as people who could take there jobs...without being paid[no modders are paid] so they probbably try to keep us secret[im sure raven lvl disighners suck compared to some of you]

------------------
It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed.
When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.
Join the Army, Go to distant lands, meet interesting people, kill them!

Don't draw fire, it irritates the people around you.
Intel: We put the 'um...' in Pentium
2004-07-21, 1:08 PM #14
HOW ABOUT SOMEONE MAKE A BRUSHED BASED JK EDITOR!!!!

------------------
"Whats your name"
Cody
"No, whats your real name"
Arkon............
Proud member of the Co-op
Flipsides crackers are the best crackers to have ever existed
2004-07-21, 1:36 PM #15
Well mainly, because JK uses a sector-based engine.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-07-21, 4:26 PM #16
Should we make a Massassian community project?

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

--------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-07-21, 5:36 PM #17
Community? what's that?

------------------
Wake up, rise and shine, Gotta take another pint, Dig heads and watch out for the night.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2004-07-21, 5:37 PM #18
I think it's that thing that women tell us that we should be better at.

------------------
When guitars are outlawed, only outlaws will have guitars.
2004-07-21, 7:01 PM #19
If I didnt have to deal with vertex lighting it would make me want to edit more. I reinstalled JK and JED a couple weeks back and the entire lighting thing killed me. I used to love sitting for hours doing lighting for levels... back when I didnt have a job/school/woman. I just dont have time to sit around calculating the perfect light and then cleaving up surfaces to make it look right.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-07-21, 7:53 PM #20
Make a new version of JED in which the lighting is much simpler to do. I would love that.

[edit]Two other things:

1. What happened to the massassi level pack thing? we should do one of those every year.

2. If not ^that^, we should do a community project to bring life back to JK, in which anybody who wished to could contribute a few sectors and we could conglomerate(sp?) them into a massive massassitopia level! Good idea?[/edit]

------------------
Massassi - Muh-Sah-See

[This message has been edited by Delphian (edited July 21, 2004).]
2004-07-21, 9:06 PM #21
The MLP was called off after MLP4, and wasn't continued because of the immense size of the maps that were involved with JO / JA. It's also hard because JO / JA don't use an episode system, so you can't really make all of the files into one gob file you can easily distribute. It would end up just being a zip of a bunch of levels. :-/

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On

↑ Up to the top!