Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Alright, Linux people...
Alright, Linux people...
2007-05-22, 4:38 PM #1
I haven't messed with Linux in quite a few years - I just built a new system, and don't want to drop $115 on Vista...or $100+ on XP. Not too sure I want to run Win2k (which I do own), but I will if I have to. Sooo...Linuxians...is there any hope of running a gaming-ish system on Linux?

Athlon x2 3600+ (1.9Ghz @ 2.38Ghz)
2Gb DDR2
Radeon X800XL
Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS
Allied Telesyn wireless card
woot!
2007-05-22, 4:46 PM #2
It would be capable of playing games if there were any.
2007-05-22, 4:46 PM #3
:-/

last time I fiddled around with Linux, ATi had no working video drivers and wireless on linux was = LOL.
2007-05-22, 4:47 PM #4
Originally posted by JLee:
is there any hope of running a gaming-ish system on Linux?

Short answer: no.
Long answer: no.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-05-22, 4:50 PM #5
Originally posted by Emon:
Short answer: no.
Long answer: no.

Got it.

Got it.

Well, I s'pose I'll struggle along with 2k until Vista has matured a bit...unless I find some extra money and decide to buy it anyway.
woot!
2007-05-22, 4:56 PM #6
I just sold 6 copies of Vista (home basic upgrade) on Ebay for 40 bucks apiece, bought em for 20 apiece from CompUSA's store closing sale.

Go to ebay. Much better prices.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2007-05-22, 5:34 PM #7
until Vista has matured a bit

What's immature about it?

Just get the OEM version of Vista Home Premium. You can only install it on one system and you can't transfer the license to another computer, but even if you do, you can just call them and they'll do it anyway.
2007-05-22, 5:35 PM #8
WINE?
Back again
2007-05-22, 5:38 PM #9
Sucks.
2007-05-22, 5:49 PM #10
What's immature about it?

Just get the OEM version of Vista Home Premium. You can only install it on one system and you can't transfer the license to another computer, but even if you do, you can just call them and they'll do it anyway.

Last I heard, driver support & game compatibility wasn't quite up to snuff yet. Maybe that's different now..
woot!
2007-05-22, 5:58 PM #11
Eh, Just wait till next january and get vista.
[I just realsized something. I have somewhere in this house every single version of windows except vista. NT 9.X 1,2, and 3. How odd]
2007-05-22, 7:04 PM #12
Last I heard, driver support & game compatibility wasn't quite up to snuff yet. Maybe that's different now..

nVidia's drivers suck balls but you have an ATI card. Game compatibility isn't usually a problem unless you're trying to play something really, really old. If it's a DOS game say, you should be using DOSBox anyway.

Microsoft has this Windows Vista Upgrade Adviser. It scans your PC for all hardware and software to see if there would be any problems with Vista.
2007-05-22, 7:07 PM #13
nVidia's drivers suck balls but you have an ATI card. Game compatibility isn't usually a problem unless you're trying to play something really, really old. If it's a DOS game say, you should be using DOSBox anyway.

Microsoft has this Windows Vista Upgrade Adviser. It scans your PC for all hardware and software to see if there would be any problems with Vista.

Yeah..I ran that on my older system, and most stuff was alright - I'll run it on my new one and see what happens.
woot!
2007-05-22, 7:21 PM #14
Yes, you can play games...well...certain games....from what I hear.

It's possible but yeah...it's a hassle.

I thought ATi didn't offer any driver support for linux users.
2007-05-22, 7:32 PM #15
Ubuntu has built in ATI drivers now, and ATI has finally promised to both improve their Linux drivers, and go open source with them.
2007-05-22, 7:34 PM #16
:suicide:

(yay?)
2007-05-22, 9:27 PM #17
Yes, yay.

Emon was talking about Windows Vista though. ATI drivers are good in Vista, NVIDIA drivers are crappy (but improving).
2007-05-22, 9:58 PM #18
In my case, if I want to play games, I use windows or a console.

However, if I want to get serious work done, I use Linux.

Some games do work quite well with wine (JO, JA, and Deus Ex) and many ID Software games have Linux versions but Linux is still more of a work OS at this point.
2007-05-22, 10:39 PM #19
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
Eh, Just wait till next january and get vista.
[I just realsized something. I have somewhere in this house every single version of windows except vista. NT 9.X 1,2, and 3. How odd]

And how many did you actually pay for?
2007-05-23, 8:20 AM #20
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Ubuntu has built in ATI drivers now, and ATI has finally promised to both improve their Linux drivers, and go open source with them.

They aren't "built in", they have always been in the repositories. All they did was add an application that made installation easier. As for ATI/AMD, they are full of lies, we will never have sufficient drivers, they still don't support composite yet! Now that I use Linux full time, I have to go out and buy an Nvidia card because of these terrible drivers. WHERE IS MY XVMC SUPPORT!?!
2007-05-23, 1:31 PM #21
Composite support is coming. Mainly because AIGLX is the future, and it's the only way to do it. I hear they're also getting rid of their forked AGPGART.

I trust AMD when they promise to improve Linux drivers. Their support for Linux is absolutely immense. The main issue they'd have to deal with is the fact that a lot of their technologies are licensed from companies like Matrox and Bitboyz, as well as a number of cross-licensing agreements with NVIDIA. We'll probably still have an encrypted firmware blob (since the card wouldn't actually function without microcode) but the interface itself should be open.
2007-05-23, 3:56 PM #22
I'll believe it's coming when I see it. ATI had made many empty promises over the past few years, and I doubt their merger with AMD will do anything to change that. They just do not care about their customers. It's too bad they can't release the drivers as open-source, the community would have it done in no time.
2007-05-23, 3:58 PM #23
They care about their customers to the extend of making profit, which does not include Linux users.
2007-05-23, 4:41 PM #24
Originally posted by Trigger Happy Chewie:
I'll believe it's coming when I see it. ATI had made many empty promises over the past few years, and I doubt their merger with AMD will do anything to change that. They just do not care about their customers. It's too bad they can't release the drivers as open-source, the community would have it done in no time.

Before they said that they weren't supporting Linux very much because they didn't see much of a market there. They've recently announcing both open source drivers, and driver support.
2007-05-23, 4:48 PM #25
Originally posted by Trigger Happy Chewie:
It's too bad they can't release the drivers as open-source, the community would have it done in no time.

The community would have what done in no time? Accelerated indirect support which may or may not require a massive overhaul to the firmware depending on how 2D and overlays are implemented on ATI cards?

What you're ignoring is the fact that FGLRX is based on, in large part, the Windows driver. In order to opensource that driver they would have to weed through a huge ton of code looking for patented materials and trade secrets. If it's not worth AMD's time to fix their driver then it's not worth AMD's time to look through their code. So opensourcing the firmware is out of the question. It'd never make it into the kernel anyway.

What AMD is more likely to do is release specifications for their cards. Given how complicated the cards are, an external interface specification would be functionally useless. It takes a team of hundreds of professional driver programmers over a year to write a driver for a new graphics chip and they have access to both the internal design specifications as well as the hardware engineers. Even a relatively simple GPU, the R200, has had open specifications for years and the opensource r200 driver isn't feature-complete and runs about half as fast as FGLRX did (when it still had r200 support). There are perhaps a handful of people in the world who are both willing to do this work for free and have the capability. I doubt there would be a lot of people willing to do serious work on the firmware if it were opensourced anyway.

No, this situation is very much in the hands of AMD. But that's okay, because we're going to get a driver that's faster and more feature-complete. Linux is also a growing market while Windows is more or less stagnant, so making their Linux offering competitive is going to be a pretty huge draw to OEMs (assuming Dell's experiment is a success).
2007-05-23, 7:23 PM #26
I sure hope Dell's experiments kicks this driver problem into action, since one of the laptop's they will be selling with Ubuntu only comes with an ATI card:
http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/cto_inspn_e1505?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Hopefully this will show AMD that Linux has the potential for a larger customer base.
2007-05-23, 9:22 PM #27
You can play doom..

↑ Up to the top!